LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Heater reducer 12v to6v

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Heater reducer 12v to6v -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

sonof19
11-19-2010 @ 8:58 AM

I have a 1948 ford super deluxe v8 12v system.before I knew that the heater reducer was suppose to get hot I change the ceramic one to a 10 amp metal one. (see pic.and this one was so hot it put a blister on my finger is this normal? and is there any way to reduce this heat? I am afraid the car will catch fire.also I put the old one back on and now the heater will not work it act like it want to but don't.what have I done? thanks son of 19

supereal
11-19-2010 @ 9:25 AM
Senior

Your voltage dropper appears to be a simple ceramic resistor. It is usual for these to get very hot when there is a heavy load, such as a heater motor. Voltage drop is determined by current multiplied by resistance (Ohm's Law). But motors provide a reactive load, quite different than just a resistive load, particularly when they are operating at a higher speed, which easily exceeds the capacity of just a resistor. At one time, a 12 amp dropper was available, but most suppliers don't carry them now. As heaters are rarely used in old cars, you will probably have to live with the resistor, but be sure it is not near anything combustible.

sonof19
11-19-2010 @ 10:08 AM

Thanks supereal" do thank I could put two of thes 10amps togather run them concurent would that help or no?

supereal
11-19-2010 @ 12:36 PM
Senior

Have you checked to see what kind of voltage is presented to the heater motor when it is operating? You can check by placing your voltmeter between ground and the wire feeding the heater motor. If is not in excess of 7 volts, you can place another resistor in parallel to increase the current carrying power. If it is greater than 7 volts, you can double the resistance by placing the resistors in series. Then, recheck the voltage with the motor on high speed. If resistance remains constant, voltage will fluctuate with the current draw, but can't exceed battery voltage, in any case. Voltage reducers are designed to operate items with a constant current requirement, such as gauges, lights, and radios. Motors are a different class because the load varies widely.

sonof19
11-19-2010 @ 1:47 PM

Thanks again" I will do some checking.you have given me some good advice. son of 19

Early46
11-19-2010 @ 2:39 PM

The resistor in the photo looks like the item that Speedway sells as a voltage reducer for fans, etc. It is a 1 Ohm, 50 Watt resistor. They also sell a 1.5 Ohm, 25 Watt ceramic device in a different package.

The actual device required does depend upon the current drawn at steady state by the fan motor running at high speed. You must then calculate the required resistance using Ohm's law ( Resistance = Voltage / Current). I would not connect two resistors in parallel as this will cut the resistance in half and thus raise the voltage the fan motor "see's" and therefore increase the power the fan motor must dissipate.

In changing back to the ceramic resistor, I expect he may have a loose connection, they must be tight otherwise they will also act like a resistor. Make sure any terminal lugs are properly crimped!

Remember, if the heater motor draw 5 Amps, then the resistor must dissipate 30 Watts. This is like a 30 Watt light bulb, it WILL get HOT!

proxie35
11-19-2010 @ 2:48 PM

I,ve had very good luck with the ceramic reducer, CM used on the 55-57 Chev. It was mounted on the firewall & reduced the voltage to the coil. I'm planning to try one for the Overdrive on the 49 that I have almost compled. I don't know what amp. this reducer is. I'll
post the results on the overdrive in a few weeks.

supereal
11-19-2010 @ 3:14 PM
Senior

It is true that placing the resistors in parallel will halve the resistance, and placing them in series will double it, but without knowing the rating of the resistors, it will double the current carrying ability. That is why the resultant voltage during the operation of the motor needs to be measured. The problem is addressing the impedance of the motor, a different quantity than pure resistance, and the type of motor (permanent magnet, etc) in calculating the effect of
any voltage dropping device.

TomO
11-20-2010 @ 8:13 AM
Senior

If you are committed to leaving your car 12 Volts, spend the money and have your heater motor converted or look for a 12 volt motor the will fit in your heater.
Conversion cost should be around $100 a rebuilt motor will be about the same.

Tom

sonof19
11-20-2010 @ 9:36 AM

I want to thank each and ever one of you for your help.no one should ever have any problem operating these old fords as long we have folks like the v-8 club.I thank I will buy me a 12v heater motor any one know where I locate one?

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org