LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Wanted 1936 LB Engine

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Wanted 1936 LB Engine -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

dicky
09-20-2010 @ 5:57 AM

Does anyone know where I can find a good 1936 LB Flathead? I want one that runs good. Mine has been running hot for 5 years. I am afraid that I just have a bad engine. Please contact me at richardherren@hotmail.com telephone is 205-680-9092

Pauls39
09-20-2010 @ 6:58 AM

We have rebuilt several of the early V-8s LB's included and the one common cause of over heating is the lack of water flow. The early pumps pulled water from the heads. They were not as efficient as the later pumps which had problems of their own. Most early pumps we see have been rebuilt, bored out or just plain eroded till there is excess clearance between the impeller and the case wall. They just do not pump enough water.
The cure time and again has been new water pumps. Contact Fryers or Skip Haney for quality pumps.

tudorbilll
09-20-2010 @ 9:22 AM

Your going to look a long time to find an LB {tell me how to idenify one whithout taking off the pan}I have pulled the front motor mount and push a heavey wire and work it around the cylinder walls while flushing with small plastic hose.you wont beleave the rust you can work out.Its better to pull the head and work down the water jacket that whey. I have a clean block & radiator whith Skips pumps never gets hot. WARMS up a bit in the mountains

dicky
09-20-2010 @ 1:32 PM

My engine was rebuilt about 4 or 5 years ago. Ship has also rebuilt my waterpumps. I have a very good restored car and I wanted to keep it as origional looking as I can. I have done alot to this engine. I think there is a crack someplace.

This message was edited by dicky on 9-20-10 @ 1:33 PM

37RAGTOPMAN
09-20-2010 @ 4:33 PM
Senior

dicky
did you try a temp gauge in the radiator, to make sure it is actully running hot?
HOW is the radiator ? is it clean ?
and do you have any leaks,
internal leak in engine, you would see white foam in the oil?
there is also 4 core hole plugs,these are under the pan, and should have been removed when the engine was rebuilt, a lot of time. the rust falls down and builds up inside the block, and causes hot spots, because the water does not flow around those cylinders.
hope this helps, lets hear how you made out,
I have a 37 block if you have any interest,
also SKIPS'S overflow VALVE works wonders, install the valve before you go any farther,
follow the instructions,FILL WHEN HOT,so there is no foaming,from air being in the system,
his pumps and valve worked for me,on my 37
runs cooler,even on hot days,has not overheated since,
but do not do any parades either.
use the MODEL A for that,
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on TRUCKIN,,,,,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 9-20-10 @ 4:54 PM

persmitz
09-20-2010 @ 4:48 PM

Bill,
I definately fall under the "little knowledge is
a dangerous thing" rule, but why cannot a person used
the stamped serial number to verify? It is possible to round out the years quite close that way. I have one I deduced from 36. I am thinking it was 2 million 600 and some thousand. At any rate it corresponded to what I know using the production numbers to 1936, One must add em as ya go.

drkbp
09-21-2010 @ 5:35 AM

Dicky,

Are your thermostats working properly? Mine will run a little hot at 50 to 55 mph without the thermostats. I have a 4.11 and it is really churning at highway speed. The water goes through the radiator too fast. Actually the thermostats work as a restricter too even when they are open. They are in the top hoses.

Also, the vin number is on the transmission housing and frame but not the engine itself.

Hope this helps,
Ken

1932BB
09-21-2010 @ 8:18 AM

If you are still looking for a 36LB I have two blocks and three sets of evrything else needed to build one, or two. I advertized in the classifieds a few months ago but had no bites. I plan to list them again in mid October after getting back from a motorcycle trip in West Virginia.

TomO
09-21-2010 @ 8:33 AM
Senior

Dicky, when does your engine overheat at idle, local traffic or highway speeds.

At idle that amount of water that passes through the radiator and the amount of air passing through the radiator due to fan action is important. Worn water pump impellers, clogged radiator tubes, bent fan or fan too far from the radiator and a larger number of fins per inch in the radiator can all effect cooling at idle.

Overheating in light traffic can be caused by any of the above with the addition of incorrect timing and brake adjustment.

Highway speed overheating is usually insufficient water flowing through the radiator or timing problems.

A cracked block with combustion products entering the coolant will show up under all conditions and can be easily checked by removing the fan belt, filling the radiator to the top and running the engine at about 20mph. If you have a crack or a blown head gasket, you will see bubbles in the radiator. If the bubbles are small, you can try a stop leak product to seal the leak. If they are large, you can isolate which side by removing the upper hoses and repeating the test. Then you will have to remove the head on the failing side to make the repair.

Let us know how you make out.

Tom

flatheadfan
09-21-2010 @ 5:02 PM

persmitz-

I am not Bill but I think I can answer your question. The LB engine series was not widely used throughout Ford production in '36. From my understanding they were used on an intermingled basis in late '36. This means that in any daily production run you could have the poured main blocks and the insert blocks (LB)being used for production. Therefore serial numbers are not much of a guide in trying to find a "LB" block.

Supposedly, all insert blocks have the "LB" stamped on the left front manifold deck. However, several folks have found engines without the "LB" stamp that are a "LB." In other cases a spurious "LB" has been found on non-insert blocks. Evidently, someone attempted to enhance the engine value via some creative "razzle-dazzle."

So where does that leave you? You need to pull the pan and remove a main support to know for sure and not many sellers will allow you do this tear-down.

Hope this helps.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org