Topic: Wanted 1936 LB Engine

dicky    -- 09-20-2010 @ 5:57 AM
  Does anyone know where I can find a good 1936 LB Flathead? I want one that runs good. Mine has been running hot for 5 years. I am afraid that I just have a bad engine. Please contact me at richardherren@hotmail.com telephone is 205-680-9092

Pauls39    -- 09-20-2010 @ 6:58 AM
  We have rebuilt several of the early V-8s LB's included and the one common cause of over heating is the lack of water flow. The early pumps pulled water from the heads. They were not as efficient as the later pumps which had problems of their own. Most early pumps we see have been rebuilt, bored out or just plain eroded till there is excess clearance between the impeller and the case wall. They just do not pump enough water.
The cure time and again has been new water pumps. Contact Fryers or Skip Haney for quality pumps.

tudorbilll    -- 09-20-2010 @ 9:22 AM
  Your going to look a long time to find an LB {tell me how to idenify one whithout taking off the pan}I have pulled the front motor mount and push a heavey wire and work it around the cylinder walls while flushing with small plastic hose.you wont beleave the rust you can work out.Its better to pull the head and work down the water jacket that whey. I have a clean block & radiator whith Skips pumps never gets hot. WARMS up a bit in the mountains

dicky    -- 09-20-2010 @ 1:32 PM
  My engine was rebuilt about 4 or 5 years ago. Ship has also rebuilt my waterpumps. I have a very good restored car and I wanted to keep it as origional looking as I can. I have done alot to this engine. I think there is a crack someplace.

This message was edited by dicky on 9-20-10 @ 1:33 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-20-2010 @ 4:33 PM
  dicky
did you try a temp gauge in the radiator, to make sure it is actully running hot?
HOW is the radiator ? is it clean ?
and do you have any leaks,
internal leak in engine, you would see white foam in the oil?
there is also 4 core hole plugs,these are under the pan, and should have been removed when the engine was rebuilt, a lot of time. the rust falls down and builds up inside the block, and causes hot spots, because the water does not flow around those cylinders.
hope this helps, lets hear how you made out,
I have a 37 block if you have any interest,
also SKIPS'S overflow VALVE works wonders, install the valve before you go any farther,
follow the instructions,FILL WHEN HOT,so there is no foaming,from air being in the system,
his pumps and valve worked for me,on my 37
runs cooler,even on hot days,has not overheated since,
but do not do any parades either.
use the MODEL A for that,
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on TRUCKIN,,,,,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 9-20-10 @ 4:54 PM

persmitz    -- 09-20-2010 @ 4:48 PM
  Bill,
I definately fall under the "little knowledge is
a dangerous thing" rule, but why cannot a person used
the stamped serial number to verify? It is possible to round out the years quite close that way. I have one I deduced from 36. I am thinking it was 2 million 600 and some thousand. At any rate it corresponded to what I know using the production numbers to 1936, One must add em as ya go.

drkbp    -- 09-21-2010 @ 5:35 AM
  Dicky,

Are your thermostats working properly? Mine will run a little hot at 50 to 55 mph without the thermostats. I have a 4.11 and it is really churning at highway speed. The water goes through the radiator too fast. Actually the thermostats work as a restricter too even when they are open. They are in the top hoses.

Also, the vin number is on the transmission housing and frame but not the engine itself.

Hope this helps,
Ken

1932BB    -- 09-21-2010 @ 8:18 AM
  If you are still looking for a 36LB I have two blocks and three sets of evrything else needed to build one, or two. I advertized in the classifieds a few months ago but had no bites. I plan to list them again in mid October after getting back from a motorcycle trip in West Virginia.

TomO    -- 09-21-2010 @ 8:33 AM
  Dicky, when does your engine overheat at idle, local traffic or highway speeds.

At idle that amount of water that passes through the radiator and the amount of air passing through the radiator due to fan action is important. Worn water pump impellers, clogged radiator tubes, bent fan or fan too far from the radiator and a larger number of fins per inch in the radiator can all effect cooling at idle.

Overheating in light traffic can be caused by any of the above with the addition of incorrect timing and brake adjustment.

Highway speed overheating is usually insufficient water flowing through the radiator or timing problems.

A cracked block with combustion products entering the coolant will show up under all conditions and can be easily checked by removing the fan belt, filling the radiator to the top and running the engine at about 20mph. If you have a crack or a blown head gasket, you will see bubbles in the radiator. If the bubbles are small, you can try a stop leak product to seal the leak. If they are large, you can isolate which side by removing the upper hoses and repeating the test. Then you will have to remove the head on the failing side to make the repair.

Let us know how you make out.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 09-21-2010 @ 5:02 PM
  persmitz-

I am not Bill but I think I can answer your question. The LB engine series was not widely used throughout Ford production in '36. From my understanding they were used on an intermingled basis in late '36. This means that in any daily production run you could have the poured main blocks and the insert blocks (LB)being used for production. Therefore serial numbers are not much of a guide in trying to find a "LB" block.

Supposedly, all insert blocks have the "LB" stamped on the left front manifold deck. However, several folks have found engines without the "LB" stamp that are a "LB." In other cases a spurious "LB" has been found on non-insert blocks. Evidently, someone attempted to enhance the engine value via some creative "razzle-dazzle."

So where does that leave you? You need to pull the pan and remove a main support to know for sure and not many sellers will allow you do this tear-down.

Hope this helps.

Tom

persmitz    -- 09-22-2010 @ 11:02 AM
  Tom (not Bill, sorry)
Thanks for the lernin! A little knowledge was a
dangerous thing! May I ask, though, if generally speaking my theory holds. I know it did with a 1939 I
had and also a certified 40 (by adding up the 39 was in the middle of the year, the 40 barely made the cutoff, and I did hear that as many as a few percent of engines were carryovers. But , in general?
Thanks again!

dicky    -- 09-27-2010 @ 8:21 AM
  1932BB, can you give me a way to contact you? Where are you located? I live in Birmingham Alabama.

Dicky Herren
richardherren@hotmail.com
205-680-9092

This message was edited by dicky on 9-27-10 @ 8:22 AM

tudorbilll    -- 09-27-2010 @ 6:04 PM
  I will admit i do have Reds Headers on my 35 LB 21 stud Dont you think they get the heat away from the block faster?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1890