LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1937 Generator / Cutout help

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1937 Generator / Cutout help -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

MG
01-18-2011 @ 4:43 PM
Senior

I replaced the brushes and this seems to have resolved my problem. Even the horns seem to work better! The new brushes have 3/16 inch more "meat" on them than the ones I replaced - Spring tension means a great deal. Sorry about this late response.......MG

supereal
09-02-2010 @ 10:56 AM
Senior

I've never tried the Dremel tool approach. We always used a hacksaw blade that was ground to the width of the mica. It doesn't take much to get the 1/64 to 1/32 cut. Be sure to repolish the commutator, when the undercutting is done, to remove any burrs that will quickly wear down the carbon brushes. Use sandpaper, not emery cloth, for that purpose, and carefully blow out all particles with compressed air when finished.

Johns46coupe
09-01-2010 @ 8:21 PM

MG, assuming that your generator armature commutators do need to be undercut, you might try this rather than a rebuilt. In a former life, I manually undercut a number of armatures on motors which, for all practical purposes, are the same as generators. It can be done with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool. I've even done them with a hacksaw blade and on small armatures, a knife. I would use a Dremel tool with a reinforced cutoff wheel. The trick is to stabilize the armature securely and use the tool to cut the separators between the commutators a 32nd to a 16th of an inch below the commutator surface. Use the Dremel so that the rotation moves the tool AWAY from the windings so that if you get a snag, you won't cut wires. Be sure the undercut area will clear the ends of the brushes. You may even have to wear the cutoff wheel down in order to get a small enough radius to get in close on the end where the windings attach. If the commutators are badly worn, you should get them turned at a machine shop before undercutting. As I said, I've not done a generator armature but see no reason why it can't be done.

John

supereal
08-30-2010 @ 9:24 AM
Senior

Brushes can stick in the mounts, even when there is lots of material left on them, and the connections can also loosen. Be sure to exercise the third brush carrier to keep the connection good. You can burnish the commutator surface with some fine crocus cloth placed over a wooden slat. If the wear isn't down to the separators, it may restore the charging. I have a one wire alternator on my '47, and even though the current requirement of the ignition isn't great, the alternator does kick on after a few minutes of driving to replenish the starter draw, and the accessories such as stop lights. The power to the coil is important, as it runs on only about 3 volts after the resistor. If it drops below that level, you will likely stall.

MG
08-29-2010 @ 4:01 PM
Senior

The brushes have a lot of "meat" on them. I'll let you know how long this "fix" lasts. I don't suspect lack of spring tension in that I didn't touch anthing inside the generator. Also, it wasn't an "improvement" in charging as there was no charging at all prior to this little "shot" of CRC. Even if this turns out to be a temporary fix, I'm tempted to just leave it as it is for awhile as opposed to replacing the generator immediatly. I don't drive the car at night and the ignition circuit doesn't draw an excessive amount of current to cause the battery to deteriorate rapidly.

supereal
08-29-2010 @ 3:07 PM
Senior

I suspect my earlier suggestion above will fix the problem. You can also check the brushes to see if they are sticking or badly worn. When the brushes wear, the spring tension that holds them against the commutator lessens, as does their contact. That is probably why the charging improved after you sprayed it, because contact was restored. It is likely the improvement is temporary, however. The three brush generator is obsolete and, as far as I know, an armature is not available. Brushes are, but if the commutator is badly worn, it is probably a better choice to go with a rebuilt. C&G has them for $150 each, exchange.

MG
08-29-2010 @ 2:27 PM
Senior

supereal,

I've been thinking about my charging problem (or lack thereof) today and decided to do a little experimenting. I took the cover of the generator and then started the engine. Sure enough, no charge on ammeter even when gunning the engine. While the engine was running I sprayed a very small shot of Electrical Grade CRC 2-26 on the brushes and commutator. The ammeter showed a charging condition immediately when I did this. What do you think?

supereal
08-24-2010 @ 3:15 PM
Senior

MG: It is likely that the commutator needs to have the mica segment separators "under cut". When the commutator wears down to that point, the brushes are held away from the segments. Years ago, every shop could do the job, but today it is likely you will have to spring for a rebuilt generator.

MG
08-24-2010 @ 12:03 PM
Senior

I have this same problem with the gen on my '34. I took the band off and tweaked the 3rd brush a litte bit and it started charging again. It will work OK for a while and then stop charging again until I move the 3rd brush a little bit again. I don't know whats going in there. I tightened all connections I could see in there and the brushes have a lot of meat on them. I did clean the commutator also but to no avail. Any suggestions as to what might be going on in my case and what I should look for?

supereal
08-15-2010 @ 1:52 PM
Senior

Alan is correct. The purpose of the cutout is to disconnect the generator from the battery when the output is is lower than the system, such as when the engine is at slow idle or shut off. Many cutouts were converted to a simple diode to replace the former relay. In most cases, this worked OK as long as the diode held up. Many early diodes couldn't handle the current, and failed. C&G sells a better version on page 132 of their online catalog www.cgfordprats.com

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org