LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1937 Generator / Cutout help

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1937 Generator / Cutout help -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

JTHOMPSON
08-07-2010 @ 4:46 PM

On the way home from a car show today, I noticed that my ammeter was reading zero at road speed or slightly negative if I applied the brakes. On the way to the show, the ammeter did show a positive reading at road speed.

Is there a quick way to narrow down the problem? Suspect the generator has given out or the cutout is the issue. I pulled the band off the generator and it looks normal from what you can see with the band off.

37RAGTOPMAN
08-07-2010 @ 5:01 PM
Senior

Did you smell anything burning, ? while driving,???
if you want take the fan belt off.,RUN A HOT lead to the post on the generator. keep hands away from fan,
take the cutout off first.
touch the wire from the battery to the post on the generator, see if it revolves, it should if it is working, if it is not you can clean it up and maybe install new brushes of rebuilt it,and test it again,
this GENERATOR is a form of DC ELECTRIC MOTOR,
I BURNT a generator 2 years ago, and for the time being installed a ALT,[ BITE MY TONGUE ] but I have to say it works flawless,and in the mean time will get a generator rebuilt so I can use it for judging,
CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTRIC sells these with the fan adapter , it will install in 20 minutes.
GURANTEED,!!!!!!!!
use original wire that goes to the cutout, just inlarge a little to install over the alt post,
THIS IS IF YOU WANT TO GET THE CAR ON THE ROAD NEXT WEEK, the cost is about $225.00 which it not bad ,this is a outright price. and it is NICE SET UP.
only 1 wire,

JTHOMPSON
08-07-2010 @ 5:37 PM

Ragtopman:
I may have. Kind of hard to tell as it was hot out and you get all kinds of smell on a day like today.

I don't have a need to get the car on the road 'next week' so I'll do some testing as you suggested.

Thanks for the quick response.

supereal
08-07-2010 @ 6:55 PM
Senior

Place the leads of a voltmeter across the battery terminals. With the engine running at a fast idle, you should see about 7 1/2 volts. When you let the engine idle down, the voltage should drop to just over 6 volts if the cutout is working. The original cutouts are just a relay that opens when the system voltage falls below the battery level. This also prevents battery discharge when the engine is off. If you find that the generator is charging, you may find one of the solid state cutouts to be a big improvement. C&G (800/266-0470) has them on page 132 of their on line catalog www.cgforparts.com They also sell rebuilt generators if you find that is necessary.

JTHOMPSON
08-14-2010 @ 12:12 PM

Found the problem. Years ago, the cutout was converted to use a rectifier. It came unsoldered so I soldered it back together and we're back on the road!

Thanks for everyone's help

ford38v8
08-14-2010 @ 1:10 PM
Senior

jthompson, as I understand the system, when your battery is not up to full charge, you will show a + on your ammeter. This would normally happen during the first few miles after starting your engine, as the starter motor would draw the charge down. When the battery is topped off, your cutout will open to prevent overcharging, and you will show zero. Your ignition requires very little juice, but accessories and lights would draw your battery down, requiring an adjustment of your third brush if you frequently drive at night. With the cover band off the generator, moving the third brush down slightly will raise the voltage to accommodate the requirement.

I expect that either Super or Tom will confirm or set me straight?

Alan

supereal
08-15-2010 @ 1:52 PM
Senior

Alan is correct. The purpose of the cutout is to disconnect the generator from the battery when the output is is lower than the system, such as when the engine is at slow idle or shut off. Many cutouts were converted to a simple diode to replace the former relay. In most cases, this worked OK as long as the diode held up. Many early diodes couldn't handle the current, and failed. C&G sells a better version on page 132 of their online catalog www.cgfordprats.com

MG
08-24-2010 @ 12:03 PM
Senior

I have this same problem with the gen on my '34. I took the band off and tweaked the 3rd brush a litte bit and it started charging again. It will work OK for a while and then stop charging again until I move the 3rd brush a little bit again. I don't know whats going in there. I tightened all connections I could see in there and the brushes have a lot of meat on them. I did clean the commutator also but to no avail. Any suggestions as to what might be going on in my case and what I should look for?

supereal
08-24-2010 @ 3:15 PM
Senior

MG: It is likely that the commutator needs to have the mica segment separators "under cut". When the commutator wears down to that point, the brushes are held away from the segments. Years ago, every shop could do the job, but today it is likely you will have to spring for a rebuilt generator.

MG
08-29-2010 @ 2:27 PM
Senior

supereal,

I've been thinking about my charging problem (or lack thereof) today and decided to do a little experimenting. I took the cover of the generator and then started the engine. Sure enough, no charge on ammeter even when gunning the engine. While the engine was running I sprayed a very small shot of Electrical Grade CRC 2-26 on the brushes and commutator. The ammeter showed a charging condition immediately when I did this. What do you think?

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org