LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Hot 41 Super Deluxe needs to chill (overheating)

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Hot 41 Super Deluxe needs to chill (overheating)

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

carcrazy
07-20-2023 @ 7:44 PM
Senior

Shinton, You can try to find an original 1941 Ford radiator by placing an ad in the Parts Wanted section of the Classifieds area of this website.

TomO
07-20-2023 @ 6:14 PM
Senior

Your reply stating you have an aftermarket radiator explains a lot. I do not know anyone that reproduces a quality replacement radiator for the 1941 Ford. I have heard good things about Brassworks ( https://thebrassworks.net/collections/1940s-ford-radiator-reproductions-and-restorations ) . They are very expensive and very slow to deliver. I would look for a used 1941 radiator and have it recored with an original type core. Aluminum radiators do not work as well as brass radiators.

The 1941 Ford is hard to keep cool, but with a good radiator and a good fan, it is possible. The 1941 radiator is taller and I seem to remember slightly narrower than the 1940. The fan is mounted on the crankshaft, so it pulls air at the coolest spot on the radiator. Look for one with the filler at the top of the radiator, it is the most common, holds a little more water and can be pressurized up to 4lbs.

Once you have sourced a good radiator, you can try cleaning the block with one of the following treatments: Vinegar, CLR, or Evapo-Rust followed by removing the water pumps and running a 1/8" wire cable, frayed at the end, chucked in a drill in the water passage. Run a small stream of water into the head while you are doing this to help flush out the debris. Flush the block several time after this to remove any loose debris that would clog your radiator.

Good luck

Tom

Shinton
07-17-2023 @ 11:41 AM

I have the lower shroud, but not the upper one and no sealing strips. Also, the lower one may not fit well enough as air can pass between the lower sheet metal and the aftermarket radiator. I may try some experiments with some sheet metal! I had no idea about this. Thank you!

Sam

woodiewagon46
06-15-2023 @ 6:23 AM
Senior

As others have mentioned having a fan shroud and all the proper ducting is key to getting maximum air flow thru the radiator. Some years ago one of the street rod magazines did an article on cooling and it was amazing how engine temperatures changed simply by removing a shroud or air deflector.

sarahcecelia
06-15-2023 @ 4:52 AM
Senior

Are you using straight anti freeze? That will absolutely make it run very hot; use 50/50; or in the summer use about 80% distilled water; 20% antifreeze. Water is the best co0lant ever!! (Anti freeze holds HEAT!!!)

Regards, Steve Lee

51woodie
06-12-2023 @ 9:09 AM
Senior

Shinton. I'm not sure how similar the rad and sheet metal around the rad compares between your '41 and my '46 Super Deluxe, but in the picture you posted, the top "shroud" in front of the rad seems the be missing. The lower "shroud" may be missing as well. These two items, as well as the rubber sealing strips for both shrouds, are critical to ensuring air flow through the rad, instead of around it.
After a second look at your picture, I see that the top of the rad is a lot lower than an original rad, so even if the top shroud was in place, it would be open at the back, sill allowing air to bypass the rad. You could fabricate some sheet metal to close off the gap at the existing rad.

This message was edited by 51woodie on 6-12-23 @ 1:34 PM

sarahcecelia
06-11-2023 @ 2:23 PM
Senior

It's a known fact that Anti Freeze holds heat! That's exactly why it now comes as 50/50 (half anti freeze, and half water;) because "Back in the day" some dummys put straight anti freeze in their cooling system!!; and had overheating problems!!

Regards, Steve Lee

Shinton
06-02-2023 @ 6:13 PM

This is terrific and thorough advice! Thanks for taking the time to reply with all these details! Greatly appreciated!

carcrazy
06-02-2023 @ 3:37 PM
Senior

Do you know if the previous owner had cooling problems with the cooling system as it now exhists? You might want to start out by getting an original type of radiator.

There are several things that can be done to reduce (hopefully eliminate) overheating problems:

Throughly clean the cooling system - you can get a Prestone Flush 'n Fill Kit to back-flush your cooling system. These kits are available from your local auto parts store. Follow the instructions that come with the kit. Once you are sure that the cooling system is totally clean, fill the cooling system with distilled water (without any anti-freeze) but with a pint of rust inhibitor/water pump lubricant. Water is the best dispersent of heat and should be used straight in the summer months.

Make sure your thermostats are working correctly. If there is any doubt about their functionality, replace them with new 160 F units that you have verified are working properly.

Make sure all of the air coming through the grille is going thorough the radiator. You may have to make some ducts out of sheetmetal or heavy cardboard. Use rubber from old inner tubes or duct tape to seal the edges around the radiator to force incoming air through the core.

If you still have a cooling problem, you can get an electric radiator cooling fan. Ideally you want a 14" diameter fan that mounts in the upper third of the radiator, as close to the top of the radiator as possible. Get a fan that mounts to the outside of the radiator framework with adjustable metal brackets. If you have room to mount the fan between the radiator and the front of the engine, this is the best place to put it as a "puller" fan is more efficient than a "pusher" fan. One source for the proper fan is Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 6-2-23 @ 3:47 PM

Shinton
06-02-2023 @ 11:58 AM

Here's a pic of my 1941 Super Deluxe convertible on a hot summer's day (85°F) with stop and go driving. Clearly she doesn't like it. Any suggestions of what to do to keep her cooler? There's a big aluminum radiator (supposedly new from the previous owner) and I just had water pumps replaced. Wondering if an electric fan might be the way to go here? I'm an early Ford newbie so would appreciate any wisdom others have on the subject.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org