Topic: Hot 41 Super Deluxe needs to chill (overheating)

Shinton    -- 06-02-2023 @ 11:58 AM
  Here's a pic of my 1941 Super Deluxe convertible on a hot summer's day (85°F) with stop and go driving. Clearly she doesn't like it. Any suggestions of what to do to keep her cooler? There's a big aluminum radiator (supposedly new from the previous owner) and I just had water pumps replaced. Wondering if an electric fan might be the way to go here? I'm an early Ford newbie so would appreciate any wisdom others have on the subject.

carcrazy    -- 06-02-2023 @ 3:37 PM
  Do you know if the previous owner had cooling problems with the cooling system as it now exhists? You might want to start out by getting an original type of radiator.

There are several things that can be done to reduce (hopefully eliminate) overheating problems:

Throughly clean the cooling system - you can get a Prestone Flush 'n Fill Kit to back-flush your cooling system. These kits are available from your local auto parts store. Follow the instructions that come with the kit. Once you are sure that the cooling system is totally clean, fill the cooling system with distilled water (without any anti-freeze) but with a pint of rust inhibitor/water pump lubricant. Water is the best dispersent of heat and should be used straight in the summer months.

Make sure your thermostats are working correctly. If there is any doubt about their functionality, replace them with new 160 F units that you have verified are working properly.

Make sure all of the air coming through the grille is going thorough the radiator. You may have to make some ducts out of sheetmetal or heavy cardboard. Use rubber from old inner tubes or duct tape to seal the edges around the radiator to force incoming air through the core.

If you still have a cooling problem, you can get an electric radiator cooling fan. Ideally you want a 14" diameter fan that mounts in the upper third of the radiator, as close to the top of the radiator as possible. Get a fan that mounts to the outside of the radiator framework with adjustable metal brackets. If you have room to mount the fan between the radiator and the front of the engine, this is the best place to put it as a "puller" fan is more efficient than a "pusher" fan. One source for the proper fan is Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 6-2-23 @ 3:47 PM

Shinton    -- 06-02-2023 @ 6:13 PM
  This is terrific and thorough advice! Thanks for taking the time to reply with all these details! Greatly appreciated!

sarahcecelia    -- 06-11-2023 @ 2:23 PM
  It's a known fact that Anti Freeze holds heat! That's exactly why it now comes as 50/50 (half anti freeze, and half water;) because "Back in the day" some dummys put straight anti freeze in their cooling system!!; and had overheating problems!!

Regards, Steve Lee

51woodie    -- 06-12-2023 @ 9:09 AM
  Shinton. I'm not sure how similar the rad and sheet metal around the rad compares between your '41 and my '46 Super Deluxe, but in the picture you posted, the top "shroud" in front of the rad seems the be missing. The lower "shroud" may be missing as well. These two items, as well as the rubber sealing strips for both shrouds, are critical to ensuring air flow through the rad, instead of around it.
After a second look at your picture, I see that the top of the rad is a lot lower than an original rad, so even if the top shroud was in place, it would be open at the back, sill allowing air to bypass the rad. You could fabricate some sheet metal to close off the gap at the existing rad.

This message was edited by 51woodie on 6-12-23 @ 1:34 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 06-15-2023 @ 4:52 AM
  Are you using straight anti freeze? That will absolutely make it run very hot; use 50/50; or in the summer use about 80% distilled water; 20% antifreeze. Water is the best co0lant ever!! (Anti freeze holds HEAT!!!)

Regards, Steve Lee

woodiewagon46    -- 06-15-2023 @ 6:23 AM
  As others have mentioned having a fan shroud and all the proper ducting is key to getting maximum air flow thru the radiator. Some years ago one of the street rod magazines did an article on cooling and it was amazing how engine temperatures changed simply by removing a shroud or air deflector.

Shinton    -- 07-17-2023 @ 11:41 AM
  I have the lower shroud, but not the upper one and no sealing strips. Also, the lower one may not fit well enough as air can pass between the lower sheet metal and the aftermarket radiator. I may try some experiments with some sheet metal! I had no idea about this. Thank you!

Sam

TomO    -- 07-20-2023 @ 6:14 PM
  Your reply stating you have an aftermarket radiator explains a lot. I do not know anyone that reproduces a quality replacement radiator for the 1941 Ford. I have heard good things about Brassworks ( https://thebrassworks.net/collections/1940s-ford-radiator-reproductions-and-restorations ) . They are very expensive and very slow to deliver. I would look for a used 1941 radiator and have it recored with an original type core. Aluminum radiators do not work as well as brass radiators.

The 1941 Ford is hard to keep cool, but with a good radiator and a good fan, it is possible. The 1941 radiator is taller and I seem to remember slightly narrower than the 1940. The fan is mounted on the crankshaft, so it pulls air at the coolest spot on the radiator. Look for one with the filler at the top of the radiator, it is the most common, holds a little more water and can be pressurized up to 4lbs.

Once you have sourced a good radiator, you can try cleaning the block with one of the following treatments: Vinegar, CLR, or Evapo-Rust followed by removing the water pumps and running a 1/8" wire cable, frayed at the end, chucked in a drill in the water passage. Run a small stream of water into the head while you are doing this to help flush out the debris. Flush the block several time after this to remove any loose debris that would clog your radiator.

Good luck

Tom

carcrazy    -- 07-20-2023 @ 7:44 PM
  Shinton, You can try to find an original 1941 Ford radiator by placing an ad in the Parts Wanted section of the Classifieds area of this website.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16447