LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Quantity of oil for 37 Phaeton?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Quantity of oil for 37 Phaeton? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
01-06-2022 @ 1:07 PM
Senior

When you change oil, and add the correct amount (usually 5 quarts), clean the dipstick well. and mark it with a file where the level is. When you check the oil level, you will know if you need any. Over the years dipsticks can be changed, and the tube altered, so establishing the correct "full" level is good idea. We do this with all the engines we rebuild in our shop.

flatfoot
01-04-2022 @ 2:22 PM

Maybe the dip stick is too long or short. It also has a rubber at the handle end to help seal it when it is in place. Just an idea or thought.

TomO
12-24-2021 @ 12:15 PM
Senior

BRL

Thanks for posting your experience. I like the way that you tried to do a quality repair, given what you had to work with.

I hate it when butchers try to do car repairs. Your solution to repair the butcher's work is the best possible with the engine in the car. For future reference, the oil pan boss is replaceable and is being reproduced. You have to remove the oil pan to do the job right.

The tang from the helicoil may come out with the next oil change, but if it doesn't here is a link to a handy tool to have around.
https://www.amazon.com/RAM-PRO-Flexible-Magnetic-Grabber-Pickup/dp/B06XXHG3ZS/ref=sr_1_11?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_JWOBhDRARIsANymNOZkFgsCmwlwUQaHKbCO-pK5oPjP5SBRKrq9XZn9bMlG87LITuhrYJAaAvnzEALw_wcB&hvadid=323271601644&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9021474&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9946832557260269681&hvtargid=kwd-755652157610&hydadcr=29069_10166165&keywords=long+flexible+magnetic+pickup+tool&qid=1640375516&sr=8-11

Enjoy owning and driving your car. You might consider buying the Club's 1937 book. It will help you know what is correct for your car and what to do if you want to change incorrect items. It is your car, so don't let anybody tell you that you have to make it "correct" until you have driven it a few years and attended some of the National Meets. I drove mine 30 years before I decided to correct enough items, so I could have it judged. I enjoyed showing it in the Touring Division and had a lot of fun while meeting other members across the country.

Tom

BRL
12-23-2021 @ 10:25 AM

Hi Guys:
Here is an update on my situation...a little bit of mechanic drama here is in parentheses if you dont care to read it. So I purchased the correct dipstick tube for my car, p/n 48-6754-B. (The tube was threaded on the end but the crests were flattened so I decided to run a die on it...it did not measure to any standard size but was close to 1/2-20...so I ran a 1/2-20 repair die on it and it was pretty hard all the way but did clean up). I bought some 1/8 inch thick high temp felt from McMaster-Carr and made a dipstick seal (3/4 inch dia with a leather punch) and put it on the dipstick. I removed the old dipstick tube. (It would not unthread despite lots of PB Blaster and a few days soaking so I put a heat gun to the tube while protecting the tube adapter from the heat with a heat blanket. A little bit of heat freed it up and the tube popped out...it was not threaded and the tube adapter showed evidence of once being threaded but someone drilled it out so the tube could be pressed in with a bit of sealant.) I threaded in the new dipstick tube with a little bit of high temp black engine gasket sealant. (initially I could not install the new dipstick tube because the tube adapter was not threaded. Fortunately the hole size in the adapter was close to the hole size for a 1/2-20 helicoil insert. So I tapped it for a 1/2-20, 1 diameter (1/2 inch long) insert and installed the insert...very lucky there was enough room to do all this with engine in car. I broke the tang off the insert and it fell into the oil pan despite best efforts to prevent this...hopefully the oil pick up screen will prevent the tang from getting into the oil pump.) So now I measure the length of the tube protruding from the adapter and it is exactly 8 inches which is very close to Zeke3's measurement of 7-15/16 inches. I fill the last 2 cups of oil in the engine to make a total of 5 quarts in the engine(this was a routine oil change...I drained out the oil and re-filled with a total of exactly 5 quarts). I wait a while and measure the dipstick: it reads about 1/2 inch above full mark. Then I run the engine a while and re-check the dipstick: it still reads about 1/2 inch above full mark (this is right at the second "L" of the word "FULL" on the dipstick). There is no leaking oil. When the dipstick tubes were out of the engine I did stick a wooden stick down in the hole to try and gauge how much sludge was in the pan and as far as I can tell there was only about 1/16 inch of sludge depth...this is not the lowest part of the pan so there may be a little more sludge further down to the back of the pan. Anyway, I am satisfied that I have all the right oil pan parts now and that 5 quarts is the correct amount of oil for this engine despite the dipstick reading well above the full mark. There is no splattering or leaking of oil out of the rear seal or anywhere else. I can only account for others having leaking problems by putting in more than 4 quarts of oil in 1937 85hp engines from possibly having incorrect oil pans installed on their engine or having 60hp engine instead of 85hp engine.
Regards,
BRL

TomO
12-02-2021 @ 7:34 AM
Senior

Zeke3, thank you for posting the results of your experiment. Hopefully it will calm down the debate over the quantity of oil required.

Tom

zeke3
12-01-2021 @ 11:06 AM

It is possible that there is a buildup of sludge in the oil pan sump that is contributing to the oil level of the engine. I have an oil pan, dipstick and tube out in the shop; I should check the calibration and report back later.

Report: I have a rear sump oil pan, dipstick tube and dipstick from a 1937 style 21 stud engine. The oil pan was setup with a 3 degree power angle (nose up) and level side to side. Water was used for these measurements

The oil dipstick tube measures 8.375" in length including the threads. When installed in the oil pan the tube measures 7 15/16" from the mounting boss to the end of the tube.

The oil dipstick does not have the leather sealing washer and measures 11.75" in length from the metal washer to the full mark on the stick. The safe range is 1 13/32" in length.

Results: With dipstick installed without any added spacer to simulate the leather sealing washer, 3 quarts of fluid filled the sump to the low mark on the dipstick. Four quarts of fluid raised the level to the mid range of the "Safe Driving" zone of the dipstick and 4 quarts and 23 oz. put the level to the full mark on the dipstick.

Next, the dipstick was raised 0.125" to simulate the leather seal. The fluid level was raised to 5 quarts, which raised the fluid level in the pan above the full mark on the dipstick by 3/32", about half of the arrow that points at the full mark.

Based on this test I conclude that 5 quarts is the correct capacity for a clean oil pan.

This message was edited by zeke3 on 12-1-21 @ 4:58 PM

TomO
11-30-2021 @ 8:06 AM
Senior

The dipstick tube should measure 8 21/64" and the dipstick should measure 16 5/8" long, end to end. It would measure 13 3/4" to the hilt without the seal. The seal is about 1/8" thick and would make less than 1/2 quart difference in the level.

The dilemma that you face is with too little oil your engine will run a few degrees warmer and you will lose the protection of having enough oil in the pan when you are driving fast and accelerate. With too much oil in the pan, the counter weights can cause the oil to froth reducing the efficiency of the oil pump or having the oil leak past the slinger seal when you are parked uphill.

I do not know why your dipstick shows over full when you have 4 quarts of oil in the sump. Your oil pan has the same capacity as the one in my 40 Merc and my dipstick shows just over full when I add 5 quarts to an empty sump. Every Ford piece of literature that I have says that the oil pan has a 5 quart capacity and to fill it with 5 quarts when you change the oil. I suggest that you measure the dipstick tube and go with the specifications in the Owners manual.

Tom

marko39
11-30-2021 @ 6:25 AM

I have a pack of furniture and cabinet pads with several different sizes. They are felt and the 1/2" dia. ones look about right. I am going to try one on my 39 stick..

BRL
11-29-2021 @ 7:33 AM

Hi Tom:
I have verified I have the 85hp engine (21 studs on each head) and I have the same length dipstick as 37ragtopman but another check of the dipstick last night is the same: 1/2 inch over "FULL" with 4 qts of oil. Now, my dipstick does not have a seal on the stop as you mention and this should hold the dipstick a little higher out of the dipstick tube. Assuming I have the correct dipstick, do you know where I could buy this leather seal? If they are not readily available, do you know what the specs of the seal are?....possibly I can fabricate it if the dimensions do not require any unusual fabrication equipment.
Regards,
BRL

BRL
11-29-2021 @ 7:23 AM

Hi 37Ragtopman:
I made some checks last night: my engine has 21 studs on each head...so I am pretty sure it is the 85hp engine. I measured the length of my dipstick and it is 13-7/8 inch from the end to the shoulder that stops at the dipstick tube...just like yours I guess. My oil is clean now and a little hard to read on the stick, but I re-check it and it still reads the same as the other day: about 1/2 inch over the "FULL" mark. Someone else mentioned that the dipstick should have a seal(leather or fabric?) at the shoulder stop but mine does not...does yours have this? I have also attached a photo.
Regards,
BRL

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org