LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Water heater

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Water heater -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

1931 Flamingo
10-04-2021 @ 12:44 PM

If you update , and install the fitting in the lower hose, make sure you angle it away from the fan and towards the fender.
Paul in CT

wmsteed
10-04-2021 @ 11:56 AM
Senior

Brad,
The 39' Ford heater has provisions for defrosters incorporated into the fan housing assembly. There is no provisions made in the '37 dash for defrosters, however, there was/is an aftermarket attachment that mounts on the face of the dash
When I purchased my '36 coupe in 1952 I lived in central/eastern Idaho. Winters there are very brutal, getting down to 35 below in January/February. The '39 Ford hot water heater that is in my car was in it when I bought the car, I am the second owner. The heater kept the car very comfortable, keeping a dry cotton towel handy to wipe the windshield with worked very well.
I can remember when I was a kid, we had several cars that did not have heaters, my mother would wrap us kids, three of us, in the back seat with heavy blankets. In 1940 my father bought a new '40 Chevy sedan that had an under-seat heater that blew hot air into the back and front seat.. We were always warm in that car, no more getting all bundled up with blankets.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

37RAGTOPMAN
10-04-2021 @ 6:26 AM
Senior

HI Brad
I believe SOUTH WIND gas heaters supplied defroster vents, or was a option,
Does your inside windshield moulding has slots in them for a defrosters vents ?
in my Cabriolet there is slots for the defroster,
it had a SOUTH WIND HEATER installed,
that I removed, cause I never drive it in the real cold weather
if you find a heater with defroster outlets you can always block them off
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman
also make sure you change the PILOT BEARING, or at least check it for wear, if worn , this is also part of the jumping out of 2nd
are you going to update the trans with 39 and later gears ?

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 10-4-21 @ 6:30 AM

bradshari@aol.com
10-03-2021 @ 5:45 PM

Thank you everyone for your help/knowledge .I have noticed that some heat does just come through the firewall on its own. I am not going to Hershey. I will take some time off of work next year and go. I am not in a hurry to install a heater. Pulling the transmission and sending it to Vanpelt’s is job number one. One last question about the heater. Since my 1937 Tudor doesn’t have defroster ducts I shouldn’t buy a heater with the defroster ports/holes. Correct?

wmsteed
10-01-2021 @ 8:31 AM
Senior

For some unknown reason the pix of the engine in my '36 did not load, I'll try again

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 10-1-21 @ 8:32 AM

wmsteed
10-01-2021 @ 8:19 AM
Senior

An excellent choice for a heater in '30 model V8's is the '39/40 Ford heater that was a standard option on the '39's.
Many people like to install the heater in the center of the firewall, that was the normal position for the column shift '40's and later. Placing the heater in the center of the firewall tends to conflict with the floor mounted gear shift on the '39 and earlier cars. A center mounted hot water heater also creates problems for the routing of the water hoses.
My '36 coupe has a '39 hot water heater mounted on the firewall on the passenger side, there is ample foot room and no problem with hose routing. If your '37 has the '37-48 type of engine the hose hook up is very straight forward. There should be a port in the head adjacent to the radiator hose. If your engine has the earlier water pumps on the head, there should be a water port in the water pump for the heater hose. Aftermarket pumps are available with the heater port. The return hose is fitted into the lower radiator hose via a special fitting.
If you review the attached pix of the engine compartment in my '36 you can note the heater hoses on the firewall behind the Beehive oil filter, you can also clearly see the hose attached to the head next to the large radiator house.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 10-1-21 @ 8:25 AM

42wagon
10-01-2021 @ 5:54 AM
Senior

Brad
Believe it or not but back in the day no Ford came from the factory with a heater. All were installed as an accessory by your friendly dealer. As has been previously mentioned there should be a pug in the cylinder head you replace with the inlet to the heater and you put a nipple in the bottom hose tor the outlet. Those parts are available from the various old car parts houses. Where to find a good usable heater is the question. Going to Hershey? There will be some there.

carcrazy
09-30-2021 @ 10:25 PM
Senior

It is very nice to have a heater with functioning defrosters in the car when you drive in cold weather. To me the best part of having a heater is having a defroster to keep the windshield clear. You can easily plumb a hot water heater into your car's cooling system. A heater hose nipple can be installed into the lower radiator hose on the passenger side of the vehicle for the water return from the heater and a hot water heater shut off valve can be installed in the right hand cylinder head to provide the hot water to the heater. These parts are available through many of the old Ford parts vendors.

JayChicago
09-30-2021 @ 9:22 PM

For what its worth:
I drive my car without a heater in the cold autumn. Never felt the need for a heater. Quite a bit of heat radiates to the cabin from the engine and exhaust. And you will be wearing winter clothes. I think you would feel fine until outside temps get into the twenties.

51504bat
09-30-2021 @ 7:10 PM

I'm assuming you mean something like this? they are on Ebay and in the classifieds of various forums on a regular basis. I've got one on the shelf right now I bought at a yard sale. Mount it under the dash, run the heater hoses, and wire up the blower and you'll be i business.

The second photo shows one installed in a '40

This message was edited by 51504bat on 9-30-21 @ 7:40 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org