Topic: Water heater

bradshari@aol.com    -- 09-30-2021 @ 6:43 PM
  Hi folks. It is Brad again. I am going to pull my 1937 tranny that pops out of 2nd and send it to Mac VP for a rebuild. I have a new question. I live in upstate NY and it gets cold in the Fall when there is still some good dry driving to do. Is it possible to put a heater in. Not a hot air heater but a water type one with a heater core. Is there a water outflow and a water inflow place on the 221 flathead V8 engine? Thank you for your help.!

51504bat    -- 09-30-2021 @ 7:10 PM
  I'm assuming you mean something like this? they are on Ebay and in the classifieds of various forums on a regular basis. I've got one on the shelf right now I bought at a yard sale. Mount it under the dash, run the heater hoses, and wire up the blower and you'll be i business.

The second photo shows one installed in a '40

This message was edited by 51504bat on 9-30-21 @ 7:40 PM

JayChicago    -- 09-30-2021 @ 9:22 PM
  For what its worth:
I drive my car without a heater in the cold autumn. Never felt the need for a heater. Quite a bit of heat radiates to the cabin from the engine and exhaust. And you will be wearing winter clothes. I think you would feel fine until outside temps get into the twenties.

carcrazy    -- 09-30-2021 @ 10:25 PM
  It is very nice to have a heater with functioning defrosters in the car when you drive in cold weather. To me the best part of having a heater is having a defroster to keep the windshield clear. You can easily plumb a hot water heater into your car's cooling system. A heater hose nipple can be installed into the lower radiator hose on the passenger side of the vehicle for the water return from the heater and a hot water heater shut off valve can be installed in the right hand cylinder head to provide the hot water to the heater. These parts are available through many of the old Ford parts vendors.

42wagon    -- 10-01-2021 @ 5:54 AM
  Brad
Believe it or not but back in the day no Ford came from the factory with a heater. All were installed as an accessory by your friendly dealer. As has been previously mentioned there should be a pug in the cylinder head you replace with the inlet to the heater and you put a nipple in the bottom hose tor the outlet. Those parts are available from the various old car parts houses. Where to find a good usable heater is the question. Going to Hershey? There will be some there.

wmsteed    -- 10-01-2021 @ 8:19 AM
  An excellent choice for a heater in '30 model V8's is the '39/40 Ford heater that was a standard option on the '39's.
Many people like to install the heater in the center of the firewall, that was the normal position for the column shift '40's and later. Placing the heater in the center of the firewall tends to conflict with the floor mounted gear shift on the '39 and earlier cars. A center mounted hot water heater also creates problems for the routing of the water hoses.
My '36 coupe has a '39 hot water heater mounted on the firewall on the passenger side, there is ample foot room and no problem with hose routing. If your '37 has the '37-48 type of engine the hose hook up is very straight forward. There should be a port in the head adjacent to the radiator hose. If your engine has the earlier water pumps on the head, there should be a water port in the water pump for the heater hose. Aftermarket pumps are available with the heater port. The return hose is fitted into the lower radiator hose via a special fitting.
If you review the attached pix of the engine compartment in my '36 you can note the heater hoses on the firewall behind the Beehive oil filter, you can also clearly see the hose attached to the head next to the large radiator house.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 10-1-21 @ 8:25 AM

wmsteed    -- 10-01-2021 @ 8:31 AM
  For some unknown reason the pix of the engine in my '36 did not load, I'll try again

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 10-1-21 @ 8:32 AM

bradshari@aol.com    -- 10-03-2021 @ 5:45 PM
  Thank you everyone for your help/knowledge .I have noticed that some heat does just come through the firewall on its own. I am not going to Hershey. I will take some time off of work next year and go. I am not in a hurry to install a heater. Pulling the transmission and sending it to Vanpelt’s is job number one. One last question about the heater. Since my 1937 Tudor doesn’t have defroster ducts I shouldn’t buy a heater with the defroster ports/holes. Correct?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-04-2021 @ 6:26 AM
  HI Brad
I believe SOUTH WIND gas heaters supplied defroster vents, or was a option,
Does your inside windshield moulding has slots in them for a defrosters vents ?
in my Cabriolet there is slots for the defroster,
it had a SOUTH WIND HEATER installed,
that I removed, cause I never drive it in the real cold weather
if you find a heater with defroster outlets you can always block them off
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman
also make sure you change the PILOT BEARING, or at least check it for wear, if worn , this is also part of the jumping out of 2nd
are you going to update the trans with 39 and later gears ?

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 10-4-21 @ 6:30 AM

wmsteed    -- 10-04-2021 @ 11:56 AM
  Brad,
The 39' Ford heater has provisions for defrosters incorporated into the fan housing assembly. There is no provisions made in the '37 dash for defrosters, however, there was/is an aftermarket attachment that mounts on the face of the dash
When I purchased my '36 coupe in 1952 I lived in central/eastern Idaho. Winters there are very brutal, getting down to 35 below in January/February. The '39 Ford hot water heater that is in my car was in it when I bought the car, I am the second owner. The heater kept the car very comfortable, keeping a dry cotton towel handy to wipe the windshield with worked very well.
I can remember when I was a kid, we had several cars that did not have heaters, my mother would wrap us kids, three of us, in the back seat with heavy blankets. In 1940 my father bought a new '40 Chevy sedan that had an under-seat heater that blew hot air into the back and front seat.. We were always warm in that car, no more getting all bundled up with blankets.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

1931 Flamingo    -- 10-04-2021 @ 12:44 PM
  If you update , and install the fitting in the lower hose, make sure you angle it away from the fan and towards the fender.
Paul in CT

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15181