LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Too Hot to Run?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Too Hot to Run? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Dream38v8
09-03-2021 @ 5:37 AM

After reading the latest coil posts I had to post my latest story / question regarding last Saturday's experience. When I purchased my '38 in the summer of 2016 I made many trips where the car would kill and not start on a hot day. After consulting this forum I was informed I need to purchase a Skip Haney rebuilt coil. I purchased a coil from Skip and have been cruising around ever since. During the summer months I remove the hood side panels to allow for additional air circulation and looks. The temperature was in the mid to high 90s and the heat index was over 100. The engine temperature gauge was running around 160. After a 15 mile non stop trip I encountered two consecutive stop lights. The car stalled and would not restart. I pushed the car off to the side of the road and waited for the car to cool down. The '38 restarted after a 30 minute wait. It was a nervous 30 minute drive home, but I made it. So what happened? Did the coil and or condenser breakdown? As of the post the '38 will stay in the garage until milder days arrive.

Ray

37RAGTOPMAN
09-03-2021 @ 6:21 AM
Senior

Dream38v8
hi RAY,
I had the same problem.,
did Skip rebuild the distributer new points, new bushing , set up on scope ?
if you can run the engine in the drive way, till it get up to temp
try start it, if it does not start, put a ice pack on the coil for a few minutes, if it starts it is the coil most likely,
then I would try a new condensor,
also clean the contacts on the back of ignition switch, also you could take the switch apart and see if these are any wear on the contact plate and the brush, maybe bad contacts. ? corroded
if the contact plate is worn, you can use a piece of glass like a mirror and 320 wet and dry sand paper and hone the plate till all the wear is gone, you can do this if it is not worn out,
also check the resister and clean and tighten the contacts,
using cold on electric items to see if they are breaking down, is what radio and computer repair people use,
Hope this helps, 37 Ragtopman , Maine

JayChicago
09-03-2021 @ 7:06 AM

Your telling symptom seems to be weak spark after things get warm. Both coils and condensers often fail in a similar way with similar symptoms.... function fine when cold but then fail when warm.

You have a Skip's rebuilt coil, and they have excellent reputation for long life. You didn't mention replacing the condenser. So I would try that.

I think that advice about the distributor and ignition switch is sending you on a goose chase. Problems there would be there on start up, not appear after engine gets warm.

TomO
09-03-2021 @ 7:43 AM
Senior

Stalling and unable to restart when hot can be either ignition or fuel.

Skip Haney's coils have a very good reputation, but like any electrical device they can fail. To check if your problem is weak or lack of spark, start the engine and let it idle until it is at operating range and then remove a plug wire and hold it near a head nut. You should have a spark about 1/2" in length and blue in color. An orange color spark is weak. The weak spark can be the coil or the condenser. Replace the condenser with a new one from NAPA and repeat the test.

A coil can overheat if the ignition points have too much dwell. This happens when the rubbing block wears. The overheating usually occurs after a long drive. Micheal Driskell at https://thirdgenauto.com/ has a very good reputation on rebuilding the distributor.

Another cause for stalling is fuel starvation. When the fuel pump is weak or the push rod is worn you will not have enough fuel to the carburetor to keep engine running. You must check for this condition by removing the air cleaner and looking down the throat of the carburetor while operating the accelerator rod. You should see 2 strong streams of fuel squirting out of the nozzles into the carburetor.

Flooding is another cause of stalling. This happens when the fuel starts boiling in the fuel bowl and overflows into the carburetor venturi at idle. With the Ethanol gas, the float level should be set to have the fuel level 1/32-1/16" lower than specifications.

Tom

Dream38v8
09-04-2021 @ 6:31 AM

I'll be checking the spark later today. I would like to get a spare condenser from NAPA. What's part number?

Ray

TomO
09-04-2021 @ 7:51 AM
Senior

ECH FA49

Tom

supereal
09-12-2021 @ 11:10 AM
Senior

I keep a spare condenser in my "road kit". It is put into a plastic pill bottle and fitted with a pair of clip leads. If you have, or suspect a failing condenser, put the clip leads between the input terminal of the distributor and ground. I devised this tool after a condenser failure out on the road. Good quality condensers are around ten dollars, much cheaper than getting towed.

woodiewagon46
09-12-2021 @ 3:10 PM
Senior

You talk about removing your hood sides to help keep your car cool. I have a friend with a '37 Ford street rod and the car ran very well. He removed the hood sides just for kicks one day. After he removed the hood sides the car ran very hot. He replaced the sides and the car ran great. He is thinking that the air was hitting the cowl and firewall, creating a positive pressure in his engine compartment and not allowing enough air to go thru his radiator. Sounds plausible.

40cpe
09-12-2021 @ 7:05 PM

I don't see how open sides could create pressure in the engine compt. I have a '38 with the sides removed. I bought damaged hood sides and repaired them to use just the grill section to avoid the snaggled tooth look. I live in the deep south and the car doesn't run hot. I think your friend needs to look elsewhere, maybe a sticking thermostat that coincided with the side removal.

Dream38v8
09-24-2021 @ 10:11 AM

Tom, I ordered and received condenser ECH FA49 from Napa. I finally had time to installed it today. Why is it a simple task becomes extremely difficult? After connecting thenew condenser to the coil I could not get the coil to seat. Nothing seemed to work. I removed the coil and condenser and compared it the one I removed. The grounding flang is 180deg off from the removed condenser. See the attached pic. I attached the original condenser and the coil seated easily. Also note the size difference between the new and original. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org