LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Paint polishing

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Paint polishing

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
08-30-2021 @ 8:20 AM
Senior

Use a random orbit polisher to apply a cleaner, cleaner wax or polish. Use the foam pads with the polisher.

If the paint is dull with out water spots a cleaner wax like Girot's will give it a nice shine. If you rub over the hood with the back of your hand and feel any roughness, definitely clay the paint before you use a cleaner on the paint.

If the paint is dull with many small scratches or swirls showing, clean the paint with Meguiars fine cut cleaner, then apply Meguiras show car glaze and working it in to the paint with a polisher and let it sit overnight. Wipe it off and if the paint does not shine, repeat the application of the glaze and let it soak into the paint again. Follow up the glaze with Meguiras Yellow wax. After a few months, you can try any other wax that you like, but I like to stay with Meguiras products on my Lincoln with the original paint. I used this process on my Lincoln and now you can see that the Crown Blue Metallic has some metallic in it. People have a hard time believing that the paint is original.

Tom

sarahcecelia
08-30-2021 @ 7:47 AM
Senior

I found "'ONCE A YEAR" car polish to be not only very easy to apply, and did the whole car; and then it was even easier to wipe off with a clean, soft cloth. I did it about 8 months ago, and have never washed the car since! I just wipe it down with a clean bucket of water, and a wash cloth, rinsing it and ringing it out, as I go along; and it dries SPOTLESS!! This polish is the absolute best I've ever used in my 84 years!! (And I've used them all, at one time or another!!)It's in an orange plastic bottle at all automotive supply stores! I SWEAR BY IT!!!!!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

supereal
08-29-2021 @ 1:39 PM
Senior

Using a clay bar is a good idea. Buffing is not recommended unless you have the proper buffer pad. It is very easy to burn through paint. We have been using the Meguire ceramic finish. If you carefully observe the directions on the container, it will provide a beautiful result that defies dirt, water, and other road stuff.

JHauschultz
08-16-2021 @ 9:21 AM

Thank you both for the excellent advice. When I read or hear reactions from experience, and those reactions agree with one another, I have the confidence I need.

42YearsandWaiting

cdeac47
08-16-2021 @ 7:42 AM

I used to own a detail shop and used some Meguires products and they do work pretty well. The No 7 glaze is strictly a glaze which is to say it does not cut or clean the paint and is a bitch to buff off if the paint is oxidized or your application is too thick. So the theory "less is more" applies! Additionally #7 is a finishing product and that said #7 won't do much for a dirty/oxidized paint job followed by a wax.

Recommendation; go buy a medium grit clay bar and a cheap spray wax or Meguires 'Quick Detailer' as a lubricant and clay the the whole car! Then follow it with #7 (remember less is more) followed by a quality wax. A few good light coats of wax is way better than a thick coat. Wax can be a bitch to buff off as well.

I've done this multiple times with terrific results. However this is a process and it takes time to do it right and it also involves elbow grease.

This message was edited by cdeac47 on 8-17-21 @ 8:36 AM

mfirth
08-16-2021 @ 5:04 AM

Hello, I used Meguiars #7 Car Glaze to pollish & followed with their cannouba wax. Did it by hand, followed instructions; was easy and looked GR8.

JHauschultz
08-15-2021 @ 1:59 PM

I'd like to gently polish my '35 Coupe before I wax it.

And advice? Small electric rotary polisher? Polish brand? Any examples to follow?

Thank you.

Jim Hauschultz

42YearsandWaiting

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org