Topic: Paint polishing

JHauschultz    -- 08-15-2021 @ 1:59 PM
  I'd like to gently polish my '35 Coupe before I wax it.

And advice? Small electric rotary polisher? Polish brand? Any examples to follow?

Thank you.

Jim Hauschultz

42YearsandWaiting

mfirth    -- 08-16-2021 @ 5:04 AM
  Hello, I used Meguiars #7 Car Glaze to pollish & followed with their cannouba wax. Did it by hand, followed instructions; was easy and looked GR8.

cdeac47    -- 08-16-2021 @ 7:42 AM
  I used to own a detail shop and used some Meguires products and they do work pretty well. The No 7 glaze is strictly a glaze which is to say it does not cut or clean the paint and is a bitch to buff off if the paint is oxidized or your application is too thick. So the theory "less is more" applies! Additionally #7 is a finishing product and that said #7 won't do much for a dirty/oxidized paint job followed by a wax.

Recommendation; go buy a medium grit clay bar and a cheap spray wax or Meguires 'Quick Detailer' as a lubricant and clay the the whole car! Then follow it with #7 (remember less is more) followed by a quality wax. A few good light coats of wax is way better than a thick coat. Wax can be a bitch to buff off as well.

I've done this multiple times with terrific results. However this is a process and it takes time to do it right and it also involves elbow grease.

This message was edited by cdeac47 on 8-17-21 @ 8:36 AM

JHauschultz    -- 08-16-2021 @ 9:21 AM
  Thank you both for the excellent advice. When I read or hear reactions from experience, and those reactions agree with one another, I have the confidence I need.

42YearsandWaiting

supereal    -- 08-29-2021 @ 1:39 PM
  Using a clay bar is a good idea. Buffing is not recommended unless you have the proper buffer pad. It is very easy to burn through paint. We have been using the Meguire ceramic finish. If you carefully observe the directions on the container, it will provide a beautiful result that defies dirt, water, and other road stuff.

sarahcecelia    -- 08-30-2021 @ 7:47 AM
  I found "'ONCE A YEAR" car polish to be not only very easy to apply, and did the whole car; and then it was even easier to wipe off with a clean, soft cloth. I did it about 8 months ago, and have never washed the car since! I just wipe it down with a clean bucket of water, and a wash cloth, rinsing it and ringing it out, as I go along; and it dries SPOTLESS!! This polish is the absolute best I've ever used in my 84 years!! (And I've used them all, at one time or another!!)It's in an orange plastic bottle at all automotive supply stores! I SWEAR BY IT!!!!!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 08-30-2021 @ 8:20 AM
  Use a random orbit polisher to apply a cleaner, cleaner wax or polish. Use the foam pads with the polisher.

If the paint is dull with out water spots a cleaner wax like Girot's will give it a nice shine. If you rub over the hood with the back of your hand and feel any roughness, definitely clay the paint before you use a cleaner on the paint.

If the paint is dull with many small scratches or swirls showing, clean the paint with Meguiars fine cut cleaner, then apply Meguiras show car glaze and working it in to the paint with a polisher and let it sit overnight. Wipe it off and if the paint does not shine, repeat the application of the glaze and let it soak into the paint again. Follow up the glaze with Meguiras Yellow wax. After a few months, you can try any other wax that you like, but I like to stay with Meguiras products on my Lincoln with the original paint. I used this process on my Lincoln and now you can see that the Crown Blue Metallic has some metallic in it. People have a hard time believing that the paint is original.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15072