LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / How Do I Test For Head Gasket Failure?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: How Do I Test For Head Gasket Failure? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

39Fordfan
04-20-2021 @ 4:40 PM

Hello there,

I have a '39 Deluxe I'm just about to get out of moth balls soon. A couple of years ago I had my water pumps re-manned with high flow impellers. It did help with my car's issue of running hot with just a bit of idling on a hot day. Later that year I bit the bullet and had the radiator re-cored and that was the answer to my car's overheating issues. It had been running so well for a couple of years, when one evening as I was coming home from a car show I could hear this sickening grinding noise from under the hood. I was almost home and was only going about 5MPH. I shut it down immediately and opened up the hood. A water belt pulley fell off of the pump shaft, sending the fan-belt into the running fan, folding the fan forward and literally shredded my radiator. I will say unequivocally that I did not over tighten that belt. That pulley just fell off of it's water pump shaft after a couple of years of service with no help from me.

Long story short, I took my radiator out and was able to get it re-cored at the same shop that did it in the first place. The water pump vendor felt so bad that he paid me to have the radiator re-cored again and he threw in a set of newly re-manned pumps. This had never happened to them before. I was really impressed with his response.

The bad parts of the whole deal is that after I put it all back together again the car runs fine, but it doesn't run as well as it was running. I'm not sure if some of the electrical components got soaked with coolant and copper and brass filings from the radiator? Everything in the engine compartment got soaked with coolant and metal filings.

But the main problem now is I can't seem to keep coolant in the system, and it's using oil at a rapid pace compared to it's historic amount of oil consumption. Luckily, I have not seen any evidence of oil and coolant mixing together, but it has me worried. I was using a 4 lb valve at the bottom of my overflow tube to keep coolant in the system but no matter what I would try, the upper hoses would just blow off at the heads. So I took the overflow valve off and I sent it in to see if it was functioning properly. It needed cleaning but they sent it back for me saying it was fine to put it back on.

Problem 1; Why is the coolant just pouring out of the overflow even at 155 degrees? Is there a baffle or something the radiator shop forgot to put back in when they re-cored it?
Problem 2; Do you think I've got a blown head gasket?
Problem 3; Is is possible this 2nd set of water pumps are so high flowing they are pushing coolant around so vigorously that my system can't take it? As in coolant spouting out of the overflow at low temperatures, or hoses blowing off, or possible blown head gaskets?
Can you also steer me into some tests I can perform to determine for sure if I need new head gaskets?

What are your thoughts and what would you do or where would you go from here?

Thanks!

Barney
04-20-2021 @ 5:19 PM

Hi
I feel badly you're going through this headache.
That's a lot of pressure that will cause the hoses to blow off! I'm guessing compression pressure could be entering the system. A typical test I utilize to determine head gasket integrity is to check the compression of each cylinder. If you find any two adjacent cylinders unusually low, the gasket has probably failed at that narrow section between the cylinders. This typically occurs when an engine has been over-heated. If you remove the head, I would have it checked for flatness and for cracks. Keep us posted.
Barney

40 Coupe
04-21-2021 @ 4:41 AM
Senior

Ford did not use a pressure cap on their radiators pre war. It is my feeling they are not a good idea, they can cause the top tank of the radiator to bulge and distort, over time, even at 3#. If your running 155 degrees, which is too cool, there is definitely no need for the pressure cap. The leaking coolant may have gotten into your distributor causing poor performance, especially if you have the original distributor installed. Yes the original radiator does have a baffle under the overflow tube and inside the radiator. You should be able to see it hanging down from the center of the radiator from the fill cap. The radiator should not be filled to the fill cap only just above the radiator core. excess coolant will come out the overflow. It does seem you have additional problems if the coolant hoses are blowing off. by the time they blow off the pressure relief should be open. I would do a compression check. as suggested above. and make sure the overflow tube is not blocked.

JayChicago
04-21-2021 @ 8:31 AM

"Problem 1; Why is the coolant just pouring out of the overflow even at 155 degrees?"
I suspect this problem is due to over-filling the radiator. Need to leave room for expansion in the expansion tank above the core.

39Fordfan
04-21-2021 @ 11:13 AM

Hey Barney,

Thank-you so much for your reply! I really appreciate your empathy. Since the water pump pulley fell off, it feels like I've become a full time mechanic in order to enjoy this car. I haven't ever performed a compression test on this car - that's a great idea. It's always run so well with great pull from the engine, that I've never thought to bother about a compression test on it. I'll do one as soon as I can get it out of mothballs and report back here. Thanks again!

39Fordfan
04-21-2021 @ 11:49 AM

Hi 40 Coupe,

Thanks so much for your thoughts! You've helped me with some distinctions to look for once I get the car out from it's winter slumber.

I honestly have never noticed the baffle inside of the radiator, I will be looking for it when I get the car back. If the radiator shop forgot to put the baffle in, do you think there is a way to retrofit one in there? Or do I need to pull the radiator again and have them open up the radiator to get it done? I haven't experienced any problems before this with the pressure in the system. But you make a good point and I will see what I can do in the future to keep coolant in the system the way Henry intended.

The guy who Re-manned the pumps said in order to get the best coolant flow, that you need to take the thermostats out. Maybe put a small cardboard cover over the radiator during cooler weather and let your system flow. That's why it runs at about 160 degrees most of the time. Without the thermostats, it will still run hot (205 plus degrees, but won't go past the boiling point) on a 85 degree or hotter day if you are in traffic or a parade. These are his perspectives, not mine. He's got a degree in Thermodynamics, so what do I know?

The amount of coolant definitely goes below the fins in the radiator when I took the pressure valve off the bottom of the overflow tube. I put a plastic bottle at the end of the overflow tube to catch the excess coolant flowing out. It worked for awhile, but on my last run to the storage place on a warm day last Fall my coolant reservoir overflowed too.

MGG
04-21-2021 @ 11:55 AM

NAPA sells a head gasket leak detector kit. $43.99

39Fordfan
04-21-2021 @ 11:55 AM

Hi JayChicago,

I was thinking along your lines of thought too. But without the pressure valve on the bottom of the overflow tube, the amount of coolant definitely goes below the fins in the radiator to a point where I can't see it anymore - if left to it's own devices. I wound up putting a plastic bottle at the end of the overflow tube to catch the excess coolant flowing out. It worked for awhile, but on my last run to the storage place on a warm day last Fall my coolant reservoir overflowed too.

39Fordfan
04-21-2021 @ 12:00 PM

Hi MGG,

Really? That's a good stuff! I'll make sure to grab one of those kits from NAPA before I go and get my car.

Thanks!

39Fordfan
04-21-2021 @ 12:16 PM

I would think that a heavy duty fan made from thick metal in the 30's would easily be the victor in this battle and would've chopped that fan belt to bits. Instead the fan belt won the battle and destroyed the fan, which then bent forward and shredded my newly re-cored radiator. If I had wanted to, I could've reused that belt.

This message was edited by 39Fordfan on 4-22-21 @ 6:13 AM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org