LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 6 volt voltage regulator

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 6 volt voltage regulator

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

dlpierson
03-11-2021 @ 8:13 PM

Thanks TomO, Will try the grounding tests tomorrow.

1931 Flamingo
03-11-2021 @ 8:08 AM

FORD38V8

My mistake. I misread the post ! !
Paul in CT

TomO
03-11-2021 @ 7:44 AM
Senior

The regulator should allow the generator to provide between 7.2 and 7.4 volts at 1,200 RPM. If yours is not doing that, check to make sure that the generator and regulator are both grounded, by connecting your voltmeter black lead to the generator through bolt and the red lead to the POS post (not the cable). Rev the engine to about 1,200 rpm and read the meter, It should be 0V. If it reads higher, check the grounding cable for corrosion and the generator mount for paint.

Next leave the generator meter lead attached and move the red lead to the base of the regulator. Increase rpms to about 1,200 again and read the meter. It should read 0V. If it reads higher, clean the area under the mounting bolts for the regulator and the threaded holes in the firewall and then retest. You may have to add a toothed washer under the regulator mounts.

Tucson Alternator may be able to check your regulator for you.

https://www.tucsonalternator.com/

I don't know anything about the company, I just found them by doing a search.

If you are willing to drive to Phoenix, Tony Serritella should be able to adjust your regulator for you. Give him a call first as he may be very busy.

http://tonysrocketgarage.com/

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 3-11-21 @ 8:01 AM

40 Coupe
03-11-2021 @ 4:49 AM
Senior

The regulator (vehicle running) voltage level should be 7.2 to 7.5V make sure your analog only voltmeter is calibrated correctly

dlpierson
03-10-2021 @ 9:01 PM

Stock‘50 Ford car. 6 volt
Sorensen regular from eBay gets about 6.9 volts max (6.26 engine off)
New NAPA and Mac’s show no voltage increase engine on
Very old eBay regulator yields constant 8.5 volts
C&G slight voltage gain

Generator rebuilt last year. Cannot take regulator in for adjustment as they closed up shop
Generator tested on car jumping armature to field with good voltage gain revving up engine. I have 2 meters that read the same. Maybe the Sorensen unit is ok?

ford38v8
03-10-2021 @ 6:12 PM
Senior

I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm told that for best results, adjustments to the regulator must be done under the anticipated operating conditions, meaning engine compartment temperature, condition of the generator, and electrical resistance of the wiring.

Paul in CT, I guess he can just walk at a fast clip from Tuscon to Houston?

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN
03-10-2021 @ 9:43 AM
Senior

hi dlpierson
What year and model of auto ?
very difficult to answer with not much info on what you are trying to accomplish
are you sure it is not the GENERATOR, not charging,
is this a New VOLTAGE REGULATOR ?
it should have been set at the factory,
if you install it, you have to polarize it to make it charge, ground the field wire for just a instant,
you could call CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTRIC 440 439 1100 ask for Jeff or EARL
they should be able to adjust it, if you send them the generator and regulator
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

1931 Flamingo
03-10-2021 @ 5:28 AM

No offense, but in all of Houston there isn't an Auto Electrical shop??
When I had my gen checked they wanted the reg also and vice/versa.
Good Luck.
Paul in CT

dlpierson
03-09-2021 @ 8:54 PM

Any recommendations where to send a new 6 volt regulator for adjustment for proper battery charging. Nobody here in Tucson has a clue.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org