LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 59AB Head Difference?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 59AB Head Difference?

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

51woodie
05-12-2020 @ 2:11 PM
Senior

I noticed that the cylinder heads on the 59AB in my '46 Coupe have different numbers on them. Some cast in and some look like they were stamped in. Is this normal during production, or has one of the heads been replaced? This was originally a California car, and I believe I am the sixth owner. This is just a question out of curiosity.

The left (driver's side) has 59A-B cast in, and the number 13 stamped below the Ford logo.
The right (pass side) has 59AB cast in, and USA stamped below the Ford logo.

kubes40
05-12-2020 @ 3:54 PM
Senior

The "AB" vs "A-B" is simply a casting difference. The dimensions of the heads are identical.

The "13" and "2" are no more than the cast (core) number.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

37 Coupe
05-13-2020 @ 7:31 AM

I always seem to have to respond when I see a post about 59A or 59AB head differences. In 1971 I bought a local low mileage 1946 Ford coupe I had known and tried to buy for years. I was and still am the same age as the Ford Super Deluxe. I bought it with 39,000 miles on it and it required very little to "restore", new tires and a cosmetic cleanup really.We drove it from Ohio to Valley Forge for a national meet in 1976 during a time of a smaller but still scary pandemic of sorts "Leginaires disease". The concourse predated Dearborn awards as I recall ,I know I did not get one for the coupe.I was gigged for the heads being different from each other one was 59 AB and the other was just 59A.Coupe was a very early car with the tool area in trunk lid as I recall reading in a V8 Times years ago all bodies that had this tool area were actually 1942 Ford cars in storage throughout the war.At one point Ford had to fight government to keep this inventory in place and not metal scr*pped for the war effort. They won the argument that cars would be sorely needed when the war ended as well as jobs assembleing them. Back to the judging I argued that the engine was as it left the factory I not only knew the original buyer but also the mechanics at the local Ford garage ,that with all service paperwork showed the car never had its engine torn down in the now previous 30 years of its life. I was also gigged for poor bodywork as circular grinding marks were evident on rain gutters area above rear quarter windows. Again I argued why would I have needed to do body work in that area as even all floors were mint rust free condition. Another side note on this cars history it was first ordered by a family friend who was returning from the war to his engineering job at a local manufacturing plant Lancaster Lens.If you look at some NOS Genuine Ford taillight and headlamp lens you may see the LLC marking. He had a connection or two to obtain a new car and like so many others lost his first order a new 1946 Ford convertible to someone who "paid up" to a salesman and got his first car,he settled for the coupe but only kept it a year .In 1947 he went to local Mercury dealer and ordered a brand new '47 Mercury convertible. He dealt with the Mercury deler for years refusing to go back to the Ford dealer until he had to for a new '55 Ford convertible.He had one about everyyear with last I remember was a red '63 sport roadster and then his last Ford was a yellow Bronco I guess a late sixties or early seventies with 302 engine. I should have bought that one when he offered it too me. My '46 Ford also had a Southwind heater in it but not even a radio. Original owner explained to me he needed transportation after the war and was so upset with Ford dealer he got the coupe and took it to local Studebaker dealer for the heater install.All the cars he owned through the years and he remembered all the details on this one car . Family I bought it from got it as a one year old used car and kept it for next 24-25 years.

cliftford
05-13-2020 @ 10:12 AM
Senior

So, what is the actual difference, if any, between the 59A and the 59AB heads?

therunwaybehind
05-13-2020 @ 11:39 AM

According to "The Flathead Engine album Vol.2" both of your heads will fit on either side of the engine as they have auxiliary outlets for heaters on both front and rear of the main water center outlet. They also are not 81A that required a machining to fit the later than 1945 V-8's. This available from our club. "Repair Manual Ford and Mercury V8 engines 78-81A-59A series 1937 to 1948 Pass. Cars 1937 to 1947 Trucks" agrees with this up through 59A and had no news on 59 AB or 59 A-B. It was published in 1948.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 5-13-20 @ 11:40 AM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org