Topic: 59AB Head Difference?

51woodie    -- 05-12-2020 @ 2:11 PM
  I noticed that the cylinder heads on the 59AB in my '46 Coupe have different numbers on them. Some cast in and some look like they were stamped in. Is this normal during production, or has one of the heads been replaced? This was originally a California car, and I believe I am the sixth owner. This is just a question out of curiosity.

The left (driver's side) has 59A-B cast in, and the number 13 stamped below the Ford logo.
The right (pass side) has 59AB cast in, and USA stamped below the Ford logo.

kubes40    -- 05-12-2020 @ 3:54 PM
  The "AB" vs "A-B" is simply a casting difference. The dimensions of the heads are identical.

The "13" and "2" are no more than the cast (core) number.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

37 Coupe    -- 05-13-2020 @ 7:31 AM
  I always seem to have to respond when I see a post about 59A or 59AB head differences. In 1971 I bought a local low mileage 1946 Ford coupe I had known and tried to buy for years. I was and still am the same age as the Ford Super Deluxe. I bought it with 39,000 miles on it and it required very little to "restore", new tires and a cosmetic cleanup really.We drove it from Ohio to Valley Forge for a national meet in 1976 during a time of a smaller but still scary pandemic of sorts "Leginaires disease". The concourse predated Dearborn awards as I recall ,I know I did not get one for the coupe.I was gigged for the heads being different from each other one was 59 AB and the other was just 59A.Coupe was a very early car with the tool area in trunk lid as I recall reading in a V8 Times years ago all bodies that had this tool area were actually 1942 Ford cars in storage throughout the war.At one point Ford had to fight government to keep this inventory in place and not metal scr*pped for the war effort. They won the argument that cars would be sorely needed when the war ended as well as jobs assembleing them. Back to the judging I argued that the engine was as it left the factory I not only knew the original buyer but also the mechanics at the local Ford garage ,that with all service paperwork showed the car never had its engine torn down in the now previous 30 years of its life. I was also gigged for poor bodywork as circular grinding marks were evident on rain gutters area above rear quarter windows. Again I argued why would I have needed to do body work in that area as even all floors were mint rust free condition. Another side note on this cars history it was first ordered by a family friend who was returning from the war to his engineering job at a local manufacturing plant Lancaster Lens.If you look at some NOS Genuine Ford taillight and headlamp lens you may see the LLC marking. He had a connection or two to obtain a new car and like so many others lost his first order a new 1946 Ford convertible to someone who "paid up" to a salesman and got his first car,he settled for the coupe but only kept it a year .In 1947 he went to local Mercury dealer and ordered a brand new '47 Mercury convertible. He dealt with the Mercury deler for years refusing to go back to the Ford dealer until he had to for a new '55 Ford convertible.He had one about everyyear with last I remember was a red '63 sport roadster and then his last Ford was a yellow Bronco I guess a late sixties or early seventies with 302 engine. I should have bought that one when he offered it too me. My '46 Ford also had a Southwind heater in it but not even a radio. Original owner explained to me he needed transportation after the war and was so upset with Ford dealer he got the coupe and took it to local Studebaker dealer for the heater install.All the cars he owned through the years and he remembered all the details on this one car . Family I bought it from got it as a one year old used car and kept it for next 24-25 years.

cliftford    -- 05-13-2020 @ 10:12 AM
  So, what is the actual difference, if any, between the 59A and the 59AB heads?

therunwaybehind    -- 05-13-2020 @ 11:39 AM
  According to "The Flathead Engine album Vol.2" both of your heads will fit on either side of the engine as they have auxiliary outlets for heaters on both front and rear of the main water center outlet. They also are not 81A that required a machining to fit the later than 1945 V-8's. This available from our club. "Repair Manual Ford and Mercury V8 engines 78-81A-59A series 1937 to 1948 Pass. Cars 1937 to 1947 Trucks" agrees with this up through 59A and had no news on 59 AB or 59 A-B. It was published in 1948.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 5-13-20 @ 11:40 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13824