LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 6V to 12V conversion

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 6V to 12V conversion -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
01-14-2020 @ 8:02 AM
Senior

If you have a reproduction or original wiring harness, the wire going to the fuse panel should be the hot lead for the ignition switch, moving it to the switched side would make your ignition hot all of the time and you would not be able to shut off the ignition. The wiring diagram shows the wire going to the cutout should be at the hot side of the fuse panel so that it is hot all of the time.

I am not sure of what you are measuring with your voltmeter hookup, but my best guess is that it is the resistance of your meter leads and meter. You probably have some current flowing or the meter would read 0 V.

If your meter has a 10 amp scale, you can connect it like you did for the voltage test and read the current flowing. Pull the fuse if you have a current reading. If it goes away the short is in the light circuit, if it does not remove the hot wire at the cutout. If it goes away, the cutout is bad. If it doesn't go away, disconnect the wires at the hot side of the fuse one at a time until you find the circuit that is bad.

http://vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_electrical-pics/Flathead_Electrical_wiring1936.jpg

6 / 12 volt test lights are priced under $10 at many sources or you could make your own with a light socket by attaching a hot wire to the bulb contact and the grounding wire to the bulb socket.

Tom

hotroddoc
01-13-2020 @ 1:59 PM

Thanks for your input.

I don't have a test light handy but when I hooked up my voltmeter in the manner you described, the reading starts out at 1.6V and settles down to 0.25V.
There are an additional two wires connected to to live side of the ignition switch. One goes to a fuse panel and the other to the voltage regulator.
when I removed them, the voltmeter read 0.0V.
Reconnecting only the voltage regulator wire, the reading is 0.03V
Reconnecting only the fuse panel wire, The reading is 0.25V

Should I move the two wires to the switched side of the ignition switch or just the fuse panel wire

Gary

This message was edited by hotroddoc on 1-13-20 @ 4:48 PM

37RAGTOPMAN
01-05-2020 @ 8:42 AM
Senior

if you have a drain now, you will most likely have a fire with 12 volts,
disconnect the ground cable on battery post, put a test light from the post to ground, and see if it lights,
if it does start ,,,checking for lights on, like STOP LIGHTS, glove box, clock, starter switch,etc
you have to start eliminate them one at a time, till the light goes out,
if you have mechanical brakes check the brake light switch,
I had a MODEL A that did the same thing and found out it was the starer switch, made contact but not enough to make that starter turn,

hope this helps 1937RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 1-5-20 @ 8:49 AM

TomO
01-04-2020 @ 8:00 PM
Senior

Switch the grounded side, which should be the POS cable.

If you have a drain, it should be located and fixed. Depending on what is causing the drain, it could start a fire.

Connect a test light between the NEG cable and the battery post. If there is a drain, the light will glow. If the light glows, pull the fuse, this will eliminate all of the lights as a source.

Tom

hotroddoc
01-04-2020 @ 5:47 AM

I think that there is a drain on the battery. When the battery is fully charged,the engine turns over pretty good. I am in the process of installing a battery cut off switch.

Would it be better to have the positive ground wire run through the switch or connect the negative wire to the switch? I had two 3-0 cables made.

Thanks

37RAGTOPMAN
01-02-2020 @ 9:18 AM
Senior

hi 6volt to 12 volt ?
I think this is bad thing to do. these cars have been used for 80 years using 6 volts.
this might be a WAY Easier and cheaper way to go,
JUST list the things you have to change to do this, ignition coil, is the first, fuel gauge, sending unit plus MUCH MORE
I would remove the starter and check in what condition it is in,.brushes, dirty com, post loose " and more,
CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTRIC in OHIO
can rebuild yours with a high torque fields, and include a new old stock bendix,
I just had one done,,,,
also a overlooked item is the ground cable from the engine to ground,this is part of the system,
do you have headers on the engine, these can also cause starter problems.,because of the heat.
my 2 cents 1937Ragtopman

sarahcecelia
11-30-2019 @ 1:32 PM
Senior

MY 1940 V8 STARTS ALMOST INSTANTLY WITH 6 VOLTS, WHEN WARM OR HOT WITH MY FOOT OFF THRE ACCELEATOR PEDAL!! QUICKLY WHEN COLD AFTER SITTING FOR A FEW DAYS; I PUSH THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL TWICE TO PRIME THE INTAKE MANIFOLD, PULL THE CHOKE OUT ABOUT 1/3, AND IT STARTS RIGHT UP; THEN I EASE THE CHOKE IN A LITTLE TO ABOUT 1/4 FOR ABOUT 45 SECONDS, AND THE PUSH IT OFF. 6 VOLTS WORKS VERY WELL WHEN ALL IS IN ORDER!!

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO
11-29-2019 @ 8:45 PM
Senior

Just watch the ammeter. It should show a reading in the positive direction when the engine speed is about 20 mph, then turn on the head lights, the ammeter should not show a discharge.

If you have the stock generator with a cutout, you can adjust the 3rd brush to increase the charging rate.

You can check for a drain on the battery by connecting a test light between the battery post and the battery cable. If the light comes on, you have a drain. Check the brake lights, parking lights and dome light, if they are not on, use the wiring diagram as a guide to start disconnecting wires until the test light does not work any more.

Tom

hotroddoc
11-29-2019 @ 11:01 AM

After running all of the tests, I appears that the battery was low. After a charge, It is cranking OK . Now I need to determine why is the battery draining and not charging while running the car.
Any suggestions on how I can test the generator?

Gary

TomO
11-18-2019 @ 8:35 PM
Senior

Starter: Com to Negative battery post and Pos to the starter terminal = 0.86 V
You have high resistance in the starter circuit. Move the POS lead to the battery cable side of the starter switch and repeat the test. The reading should be 0.1 or less. If it is higher, check the cable for corrosion, clean the battery post and cable. Repeat the test, if you still have the high reading, replace the cable.
Next move the POS lead to the starter side of the starter switch and repeat the test. The reading should be 0.2 V or less. If it is higher, you can see if you can clean the switch contacts or replace the switch.
Next repeat the original connection and test. If the reading is above 0.2 V, replace the cable

Ground Circuit Resistance: Pos lead to Pos battery terminal. Com to Grounding Bolt of starter 0.70 V
Pos lead to Pos battery terminal. com to Grounding strap 0.62 V
You have very high resistance in the grounding circuit. Your grounding strap may not be the correct gauge, too long, corroded or not making good contact with the frame. Order the correct grounding strap from a quality supplier.
Repeat the test after replacing the cable.

the starter switch looks like a reproduction.
One Puzzling observation: When I hook up the voltmeter to test starter test, the voltmeter registers 5.68 V before I depress the starter button.
You will read battery voltage until the starter is activated. This is a normal reading. Your reading is lower than normal, proba bly because the grounding circuit has high resistance.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org