LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Winter storage

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Winter storage -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

nelsb01
11-30-2018 @ 11:42 AM
Senior

pauls36fordor:
I change the oil with the same that was in it. 30W. I run it up to operating temperature before storage so that the new oil gets run through.
Then in the spring -- its air the tires, add the battery back in, oil the water pumps distributor and generator, check the lights, and go have a drive.

len47merc
11-30-2018 @ 11:17 AM
Senior

Edit - removing double post.

This message was edited by len47merc on 11-30-18 @ 11:19 AM

len47merc
11-30-2018 @ 10:44 AM
Senior

Being both a preservationist and an originalist I never liked the smell of anything other than mohair and wool in an original car and strove to ensure that smell always existed during judging or when driving.

Bag of mothballs in the front and rear floorboards during long-term storage only for me.

Steve

pauls36fordor
11-30-2018 @ 9:05 AM

A question concerning changing the oil for the winter sleep. Do you put in a heavier or lighter oil during the hibernation period and then change it again in the spring, or is it the oil you will drive with next year. I have a 36 and I planned to use 20-40. Thoughts?
Also to the rodent factor, I've had excellent results with fabric softener sheets. Each winter I put a dozen of them under front and back seats and leave them all year. Freshens the car smell during show season.

TomO
11-30-2018 @ 6:57 AM
Senior

Think about what you want to do with the car before you install a heater.

If you intend to have the car judged by the EFV-8 Club, the only authorized heater was the hot air (manifold) heater. Any other heater will result in a point deduction (about 5 points, 2 for the accessory and 3 max for the additional holes in the firewall, there may also be additional points deducted for the hoses for a hot water heater and fuel line for a gas heater).

If you intend to enter the car in the Touring Class, the heater won't make a difference.

Tom

Zero
11-29-2018 @ 3:42 PM

LOL. I'll get two. One for me and one for a passenger!

MG
11-29-2018 @ 10:39 AM
Senior

Heater? What heater? We don't need no stinking heater! Get yourself a scr*per to clear the frost (from your breath) off the inside of the windshield.... :o)

Zero
11-29-2018 @ 8:41 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Never really thought about driving in the winter but I do like that idea. Now to find a heater for the car? Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Drbrown
11-28-2018 @ 6:24 PM
Senior

Regarding storage and moisture ..... Cold air itself, at or below freezing temperatures, is so dense it holds very little moisture. The major source of moist air is from adjacent warmer spaces, a warming trend in outdoor weather, and routinely from concrete floor slabs laid on the warm earth below. I cover my concrete floors under cars with 6 mil poly sheeting as a vapor barrier .... most older slabs don't have a vapor barrier, or it was poorly installed. However, one MUST be very careful about walking on this material. Aside from damaging its integrity, any condensation on it or moisture on your shoes can result in a disastrous slip i.e. once fractured my knee cap and couldn't drive standard shift for several months - that really hurt ! Dehumidifiers don't work below about 45 degrees.

Concrete can hold a fair amount of moisture too. It contains salts which attract and hold moisture.

Otherwise, I favor driving once in a while for an extend time provided roads are dry and free of wet salty water. What's a heater for ?

This message was edited by Drbrown on 11-28-18 @ 6:41 PM

c-gor
11-28-2018 @ 8:53 AM

Tom

Life in Northern Ohio is also cold. My vehicles are all in one garage that is reserved for them only. To combat moisture, i purchase 12-15 disposal aluminum "turkey size" pans . I fill each one with about 3/4" - 1" of Calcium Chloride. This is a desiccant that absorbs any moisture in the garage. after about 2 months the calcium chloride turns to liquid after soaking up any moisture. I dump this and add more Calcium Chloride to the pans. When I open the garage in spring, no moisture on the vehicles.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org