LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Winter storage

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Winter storage -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Zero
11-27-2018 @ 6:12 AM

It's winter in the Midwest and this is the first time storing my 37. My garage is unheated but I insulated the walls which should help a little. Antifreeze is good to 35 below. Should I put the car up on jack stands and run it occasionally with an exhaust hose out the door? Should I remove the tires or leave them on? Battery out of the car and then back in when I want to start it? Always appreciative of your suggestions. John Z.

juergen
11-27-2018 @ 6:32 AM

Every one has a different opinion. Most of the people in our Iowa car club just let the cars hibernate from December to March. I don't like starting them without getting the engine hot as the rich choked fuel does not get cleaned out. My 6 volt batteries usually last 6 years as the battery is still charged in the spring. On a car with a working clock (battery drain) I would remove the battery or install a battery tender.

TomO
11-27-2018 @ 7:44 AM
Senior

As Juergan said, running a car without taking it on a long drive is not good for the engine. Fuel produced some water vapor that condenses in the oil galleys and this makes sludge. You are much better off leaving the engine off until you can drive the car.

Raising the car prevents flat spotting the tires, which is not a big problem with the current tire construction. If you support the car with jack stands under the frame, it will allow the suspension to relax, but the best reason to raise the car is to prevent rodents from living in the car. That would also be my only reason for removing the tires during storage.

You should disconnect the battery any time that you are not going to use the car. I have a disconnect switch on my Lincoln,because the battery is under the floor. On my Mercury, I just remove the grounding cable. I leave the batteries in both cars for the winter. I connect a battery tender to the battery and use it one day a month, to maintain full charge on the batteries. I don't like to leave electrical appliances operate when I cannot monitor them.

To keep the rodents out of my garage, I buy small bottles of ammonia and p;ace a piece of cotton rope in each of them, to act as a wick. I place them near the door and around the car. The odor keeps the critters away from the garage. The fumes cause a burning sensation in their nostrils. I have sealed all openings with coarse steel wool backed up by expanding foam, except the roof vents and that has 1/4" chicken wire backed up by galvanized screening to keep out the critters.

Tom

nelsb01
11-27-2018 @ 1:41 PM
Senior

Here's the reply from the frozen north. Yes to raising the car up. Cold concrete and rubber give you a great thump in the spring if you don't.
Rodents -- for added protection, put renuzit "after the rain" in the car --- smells great and in the spring you won't notice it, but the critters hate it. I had a friend put decon in the car..............don't do that. It draws the critters in.
Then, don't forget about the gas. I highly recommend Yamaha Yamalube fuel stabilizer --- all those people with boats and jet-skis swear by it -- and I have never had a bad start in the spring. It costs more at the boat store, but worth it. The snow is gone here by May 1. (maybe)
The -35 for anti-freeze is OK.
Pull the battery and keep it someplace safe. I set my electronic calendar to remind me to connect my battery tender every 6 weeks for 24 hours. If you think that is too much, I got 9 years out of my last 6 volt.
Of course, you did change the oil before the winter sleep.....................
There are other opinions -- but this is what works for me.

MG
11-27-2018 @ 2:51 PM
Senior

Why not drive your car during the winter? When I lived in Minnesota, I didn't let the winter conditions prevent me from driving my '34. I never considered prepping my car for storage. I just made sure the antifreeze and oil were up to snuff. - This, just as the people who owned these cars did back in the 1930's winter months. If the streets are clear of ice and snow, 30+ degrees below zero should not deter you from driving your car. The streets are not always clogged with ice and snow during the winter. These cars were designed and engineered to be driven year round. Why deny yourself the joy of driving you baby? I always looked forward to driving my '34 during the winter months. Storage is hard on a car, especially starting it after a long period of inactivity. If you don't drive them they will go to h*ll on you much faster....

TonyM
11-27-2018 @ 7:12 PM

MG,

I drive my 1937 Ford during the winter months as long as there is no snow, ice or other adverse conditions.

Here is my 1937 Ford on Super Bowl Sunday a few years ago (Chicago / Northwest Indiana region).

78-730B

MG
11-27-2018 @ 9:03 PM
Senior

Tony....I love the looks of '37 Fordor Slantbacks!

mfirth
11-28-2018 @ 4:28 AM

Tony, i too love your 37. Nice nice car !

ken ct.
11-28-2018 @ 5:30 AM
Senior

Looks good Tony, drove my 36 in winter also as long as no salt on roads. They were not ment to be sunny day cars. ken ct.

c-gor
11-28-2018 @ 8:53 AM

Tom

Life in Northern Ohio is also cold. My vehicles are all in one garage that is reserved for them only. To combat moisture, i purchase 12-15 disposal aluminum "turkey size" pans . I fill each one with about 3/4" - 1" of Calcium Chloride. This is a desiccant that absorbs any moisture in the garage. after about 2 months the calcium chloride turns to liquid after soaking up any moisture. I dump this and add more Calcium Chloride to the pans. When I open the garage in spring, no moisture on the vehicles.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org