LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 36 Headlight Switch logo upside down

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 36 Headlight Switch logo upside down -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

Grant
09-20-2018 @ 7:14 AM
Senior

The John Deere product is called special purpose Corn Head Grease. Their stock number is AN102562 (see photo).

Two gentlemen in this club, for whose opinions I have the utmost respect, believe that this corn head grease is not an ideal early Ford steering box lubricant.

We have used it in our '36 since 2013 without any noticeable adverse effect. The car steers very well, and this grease does not leak out of the box. Not a drop, in over 8000 miles during the last five years of cruising.

It's not hard to install. With the steering box empty and the filler plug removed, the procedure is:

1. jack up the car a couple of inches in the middle of the front axle

2. using a large veterinarian's syringe, slowly squirt grease into the box until it looks full

3. rotate the steering wheel back and forth ........ this pulls the corn head grease down into the box

4. repeat steps 2 and 3 until the box really is full

5. drive a few miles and double-check

From time to time I re-check the steering box to make sure that it's still full. It is. Every time. So far, no additional corn head grease has ever had to be added.

trjford8
09-20-2018 @ 7:10 AM
Senior

My Tractor Supply Company store does not carry corn head grease. They sent me to the John Deere store.

trjford8
09-20-2018 @ 7:10 AM
Senior

My Tractor Supply Company store does not carry corn head grease. They sent me to the John Deere store.

Robert/Texas
09-20-2018 @ 4:09 AM

The steering box in my '34 leaked badly for years. I was told not to use grease in it as it will not stick well to the gears but rather to use Penrite Semi Fluid Steering Box Lube. I bought some from Restoration Supply Co. in California (a bit pricey) but it works great (easy steering and no leaks). It's hard to get it in the box but patience worked for me. Others suggested John Deere Corn Husker grease (available at John Deere dealers and Tractor Supply, I think).

raybrown
09-19-2018 @ 6:36 PM

It's all back together correctly and all the lights work. Hopefully, the grease I used in the steering box won't leak down to the switch again. I am tempted to add a headlight switch to the dash and just do away with that mess on the end of the steering column.

raybrown
09-16-2018 @ 9:46 PM

Had to change my ID because they can't figure out how to change my email so I have not been getting replies unless I login and go look for them. It's still me and the switch is still 180 out.. until tomorrow.

rebrown
09-16-2018 @ 6:51 PM

I took the switch apart, replaced the bracket, put the missing spring back in with the clip and realized after I tried to put the switch together, I have the bracket in 180 out. I had a 50-50 chance of getting it right but Murphy's Law prevailed. I will go back under there tomorrow and see if I can remove the two bolts and turn it around. I will have to also turn the headlight switch rod around too. I also filled the steering box with grease but it shouldn't drip out when I turn the bracket around.

rebrown
09-01-2018 @ 8:48 PM

Thanks..

TomO
09-01-2018 @ 8:01 AM
Senior

There is a man in Ohio that was reproducing the plate and tube for the 36 Ford. Here is a link to the Ford Barn topic on this problem.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25823

Tom

rebrown
08-31-2018 @ 2:32 PM

I am wondering if the 2 tooth end plate would fit. It has a longer tube that goes up through the steering box to prevent the oil from dripping down into the switch.
Answered my own question.. doesn't look like it is compatible so I will go another route. I took the switch off the end of the steering column and see it is very easy to correct the horn button orientationy. I also noticed that the spring is missing from the end of the shaft so it looks like I will have to take it apart anyway.
I can't change my reply email as the Update Account link is not working. Seems they are doing something and you can't get there from here.

This message was edited by rebrown on 8-31-18 @ 9:17 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org