Topic: 36 Headlight Switch logo upside down

rebrown    -- 08-29-2018 @ 12:22 PM
  Before I start taking things apart, I thought I would ask the experts. I searched and couldn't find anything that related to my question.
I noticed that the V8 emblem on my steering wheel headlight switch is upside down and I would like to correct that. Can I just open the switch at the end of the shaft, turn the horn button 180 degrees and put it back together? It also seems to be blowing fuses a lot also. I cleaned the oil out of the switch once and that seemed to help.

juergen    -- 08-30-2018 @ 2:55 PM
  Yes, you should take the connector at the bottom of the steering column off and turn the horn button til the V8 is upright. You can then reinstall the connector as before since the tangs on the horn column are again aligned the same way.

Your blown fuse problem is a different issue. I'm hoping you have the proper sized fuse. If you do, then you are getting an overload perhaps through a short. The fuse protects numerous light circuits. A wire going to any of these lights could be shorted. Do you have a wiring diagram of your car's electrical system? I found a 36 diagram in the 32 to 37 service bulletins. You need to see where the connections are in your wiring harness and disconnect lines one by one to see when the problem goes away.

Since you say the fuse blows sometimes, the problem is harder. I had one short circuit when someone was in the back seat. I had one in a 41 Ford (which had a circuit breaker protecting the headlights) which short circuited when I shifted as the clutch pedal wore out the insulation on the wiring when depressing the clutch. Good luck.

ford38v8    -- 08-30-2018 @ 3:38 PM
  Juergen... Your back seat passenger... Did her eyes light up?

Alan

juergen    -- 08-31-2018 @ 7:41 AM
  No, I guess I should have put in a larger fuse!

Actually since it was intermittent and I had a hard time finding the short, I substituted a small circuit breaker for the fuse and so could tell when the intermittent operation started.

len47merc    -- 08-31-2018 @ 9:27 AM
  Had a hard time determining whether Juergen was maintaining your line or not Alan! Given it still could've gone either way I'm reading it as the former!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 8-31-18 @ 9:28 AM

ford38v8    -- 08-31-2018 @ 10:20 AM
  Steve,

No matter, didn't all Ford sedans have bright eyed girls in the back seats? In fact, more than a few coupes were initiated that way too!

Alan

len47merc    -- 08-31-2018 @ 11:32 AM
  Loved your '...Did her eyes light up?' comment Alan.

You guys all have a Great Holiday!

Steve

rebrown    -- 08-31-2018 @ 12:58 PM
  I have most of the parts to replace the switch and housing at the end of the steering column, but my problem with the blown fuses is the oil leaking out of the steering box and shorting the switch. I can't seem to find the Tube and Plate Assy, 40-3597 anywhere online that looks like it might be my problem. Macs has a diagram that shows the Plate and tube for a Model T being used but then their "fitment" doesn't list the 36. I don't see any other oil seals listed.
Is there an available alternative to keep the oil in the steering box and out of the switch?
It's still too new for the back-seat girl to be the problem, but I am working on that too.

6lucky13    -- 08-31-2018 @ 1:24 PM
  I used the light rod felt seal from Bratton's, but had to cut in half to fit.

https://www.brattons.com/light-rod-felt-seal.html

Kerry

rebrown    -- 08-31-2018 @ 2:32 PM
  I am wondering if the 2 tooth end plate would fit. It has a longer tube that goes up through the steering box to prevent the oil from dripping down into the switch.
Answered my own question.. doesn't look like it is compatible so I will go another route. I took the switch off the end of the steering column and see it is very easy to correct the horn button orientationy. I also noticed that the spring is missing from the end of the shaft so it looks like I will have to take it apart anyway.
I can't change my reply email as the Update Account link is not working. Seems they are doing something and you can't get there from here.

This message was edited by rebrown on 8-31-18 @ 9:17 PM

TomO    -- 09-01-2018 @ 8:01 AM
  There is a man in Ohio that was reproducing the plate and tube for the 36 Ford. Here is a link to the Ford Barn topic on this problem.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25823

Tom

rebrown    -- 09-01-2018 @ 8:48 PM
  Thanks..

rebrown    -- 09-16-2018 @ 6:51 PM
  I took the switch apart, replaced the bracket, put the missing spring back in with the clip and realized after I tried to put the switch together, I have the bracket in 180 out. I had a 50-50 chance of getting it right but Murphy's Law prevailed. I will go back under there tomorrow and see if I can remove the two bolts and turn it around. I will have to also turn the headlight switch rod around too. I also filled the steering box with grease but it shouldn't drip out when I turn the bracket around.

raybrown    -- 09-16-2018 @ 9:46 PM
  Had to change my ID because they can't figure out how to change my email so I have not been getting replies unless I login and go look for them. It's still me and the switch is still 180 out.. until tomorrow.

raybrown    -- 09-19-2018 @ 6:36 PM
  It's all back together correctly and all the lights work. Hopefully, the grease I used in the steering box won't leak down to the switch again. I am tempted to add a headlight switch to the dash and just do away with that mess on the end of the steering column.

Robert/Texas    -- 09-20-2018 @ 4:09 AM
  The steering box in my '34 leaked badly for years. I was told not to use grease in it as it will not stick well to the gears but rather to use Penrite Semi Fluid Steering Box Lube. I bought some from Restoration Supply Co. in California (a bit pricey) but it works great (easy steering and no leaks). It's hard to get it in the box but patience worked for me. Others suggested John Deere Corn Husker grease (available at John Deere dealers and Tractor Supply, I think).

trjford8    -- 09-20-2018 @ 7:10 AM
  My Tractor Supply Company store does not carry corn head grease. They sent me to the John Deere store.

trjford8    -- 09-20-2018 @ 7:10 AM
  My Tractor Supply Company store does not carry corn head grease. They sent me to the John Deere store.

Grant    -- 09-20-2018 @ 7:14 AM
  The John Deere product is called special purpose Corn Head Grease. Their stock number is AN102562 (see photo).

Two gentlemen in this club, for whose opinions I have the utmost respect, believe that this corn head grease is not an ideal early Ford steering box lubricant.

We have used it in our '36 since 2013 without any noticeable adverse effect. The car steers very well, and this grease does not leak out of the box. Not a drop, in over 8000 miles during the last five years of cruising.

It's not hard to install. With the steering box empty and the filler plug removed, the procedure is:

1. jack up the car a couple of inches in the middle of the front axle

2. using a large veterinarian's syringe, slowly squirt grease into the box until it looks full

3. rotate the steering wheel back and forth ........ this pulls the corn head grease down into the box

4. repeat steps 2 and 3 until the box really is full

5. drive a few miles and double-check

From time to time I re-check the steering box to make sure that it's still full. It is. Every time. So far, no additional corn head grease has ever had to be added.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12291