LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / False Overheat Indication

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: False Overheat Indication -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
05-16-2010 @ 5:20 PM
Senior

John, we have all been led down the primrose path by faulty test equipment. Go to your local hardware store and buy a candy thermometer. They come with a hand clip that allows you to clip it to a pan. You can test it by clipping it to a pan of water and bringing the water to a boil.

Tom

Johns46coupe
05-16-2010 @ 12:13 PM

Well, assuming my right sensor was bad and the new one not having arrived yet, I was driving around ignoring the temp gauge when the car started running rough. I pulled over and the coolant was overflowing and the engine really was overheating. When I got it home I was prepared for the worst. I checked compression and it varied from 105 to 120 pounds. Great.

I re-read the posts and Super had said use a "reliable" thermometer to check coolant temp which had been 165 deg. I had borrowed it so I compared it with a meat thermometer and found it had been reading 25 to 30 deg low. I then removed the two new thermostats and boiled them along with my old stats. One of the new stats opened but not much and the other one not at all. The old ones opened wide. I've decided to run with no stats and the temp gauge only goes up about a quarter of the way.

The moral of the story is be skeptical concerning new parts and use reliable (thanks Super) test equipment.

Many, many thanks to everyone who responded with ideas and suggestions. You certainly taught me a lot. Thanks again.

John

Johns46coupe
05-12-2010 @ 2:49 PM

Many thanks you guys. I have a right sensor on order that should be here Fri or Sat. I'll update this discussion with the results. I sure learned a lot from everyone about cooling systems and senders.

Thanks,
John

TomO
05-12-2010 @ 8:01 AM
Senior

The right sensor is the one causing the problem. Try removing the sensor, cleaning the threads on the sensor and the block, then re-installing the sensor with a small amount of pipe dope on the first couple of threads. Teflon tape and other sealing compounds may compromise the ground circuit.

Tom

51f1
05-11-2010 @ 3:55 PM
Senior

Sounds like it's the temperature sending unit (one wire) on the right head. The way you describe the symptoms, that makes sense.

Richard

Johns46coupe
05-11-2010 @ 1:07 PM

Thanks Super. I have checked the coolant temp with a mechanical thermometer with the car idling and saw a temp of 165 degrees although the gauge was at max at the time. Also, when turned off, the fins at the top of the radiator were hot and were noticeably cooler at the bottom, as you would expect. I don't think the belts are slipping although the pumps are new Drakes so are a little stiffer than the old ones.
Thanks,
John

Thanks,
John

supereal
05-11-2010 @ 11:44 AM
Senior

That says that the gauge and the associated wiring is OK. I assume that you have put a reliable thermometer in the radiator neck to check the actual temperature and confirm that the coolant is not rising to near or past the boiling point. At a temperature in the 180-190 range, the gauge usually reads at, or just above the center of the dial. Check the actual temp of the coolant when the gauge reaches that point, and again when the needle goes over toward the H peg. If the coolant temp is still below the 180-190 region, the sensor is bad. If the coolant is hotter, in the 200-210 range, you have a cooling system problem, which can range from a partially clogged radiator to a slipping water pump belt, to a leaking head gasket. I've even seen dragging brakes cause overheating.

Johns46coupe
05-11-2010 @ 10:26 AM

Thanks for all the help Richard, Tom and Super. Here is where I'm at. When the engine is cold, the gauge reads cold, OK so far. Also, when cold I can read the voltage on the right hand sensor and see the "vibration" Super mentioned. Seemed to be about two pulses per second or so. Went for a drive and the gauge started going up slowly, as normal, held steady around the TE area for a bit, then slowly went to full hot. I put a jumper across the two terminals on the left sensor and the gauge did not change.. Stopped the engine and while still hot, grounded the right sensor wire with the ignition turned on. Gauge immediately went cold. As the car cools off and I monitor the gauge, it slowly moves to cool as you would expect it to.

At this point, I suspect the right sensor is not totally failing but is sending incorrect info because the gauge moves gradually and because grounding the right sensor causes an immediate cold reading on the gauge. Am I reading all the smoke signals correctly??

Thanks,
John

supereal
05-11-2010 @ 8:22 AM
Senior

The sensor with the single terminal has an internal heating coil to properly set (bias) the unit. The points in the sensor actually vibrate as they open and close, and the rate is in proportion to the surrounding (ambient) heat. If the coil in the sensor is broken, or otherwise failing, it is likely the gauge reading will behave as you describe. Lack of proper grounding of the body of the sensor will also interfere with the operation. The two terminal sensor is just a thermostatic switch that opens when at or near the boiling point of the coolant. To eliminate it as a cause, simply short the two terminals together. If the problem goes away, that sensor is bad. The only cure for a defective single terminal sensor is replacement. Repro sensors are of suspect quality if not NOS.

TomO
05-11-2010 @ 7:37 AM
Senior

John, I would also look at the connections at the gauge. When there is no voltage supplied to the gauge, it will move toward the hot side. The gas gauge would move to the empty side if voltage were removed.

You can bypass the sender with the 2 terminals by connecting both wires on one terminal. Drive the car and if the indicator does not go to hot, it is the sender with the 2 terminals that is failing. If it does go to hot, it is the sender with 1 terminal failing.

I would not try to diagnose the problem with a voltmeter or an ohmmeter, because the conditions change as the engine heats up. The one terminal sender consists of a coil wrapped around a bi-metal strip with contacts at the end. When the contacts close, current flows in the circuit heating the bi-metal strip in the sending unit and in the gauge, causing the gauge needle to move. As the engine heats up, the contacts are further apart and less current flows in the circuit.

The ohmmeter would read an open circuit on the single terminal sender, when the engine is warm, because the contacts are open.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-11-10 @ 8:58 AM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org