LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 36 coupe ken ct

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 36 coupe ken ct -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

222444kelly
05-15-2018 @ 1:54 AM

Regarding old stinky gas in tank. I've had great success with using an electric fuel pump, either 6volt or 12 volt depending on vehicle, to temporarily hooked up to the fuel line from tank. Separate fuel line before vehicle's fuel pump or existing inline fuel filter if possible. I add another fuel line filter just before the electric fuel pump's filter (most electric fuel pumps come with a mini filter as part of the pump hardware, it's attached to the actual pump on the inlet side). I then run a length of fuel line from exit of electric fuel pump into an old cruddy gas can as you do not want to put good fresh fuel into the foul fuel receptacle. I run jumper wires from fuel pump's terminals to the car's battery or convenient power source access. I temporarily secure the "pumping assembly" with tape or zip ties because the pump does vibrate in operation. You need to standby and closely monitor situation, like overfilling the receiving can. To start and stop pump just remove one of the jumper wires from battery. I've pumped ten's of gallons of stinky old fuel out of cars over the years.
Problem in my area is that old gas is very difficult to dispose of properly.
PS: If you can find them, kitty litter sometimes comes in tall plastic containers with a 2" screw on lid. They are translucent and hold about three gallons of liquid. You can see the fuel level as you pump in. They are for very temporary fuel storage (maybe a week) as perhaps the plastic may deteriorate, due to ethanol and all.
BE CAREFUL,GOOD LUCK.

ken ct.
05-11-2018 @ 3:53 PM
Senior

Ive had a locking cap on there for 25 yrs,dont think anyone put anything in the tank. thanks ken ct.

wmsteed
05-11-2018 @ 11:01 AM
Senior

Back in "the day" a very common prank to pull on someone was to put a hand full of grapes into someones fuel tank.. The grapes would roll around in the bottom of the fuel tank until one of them came in contact with the fuel pickup tube, which on the old cars did not have a filter sock on the end.
The grape would make a perfect seal, cutting of the fuel. After the engine died the grape would dislodge from the fuel line and the engine would start, running for awhile until a grape came into contact with the fuel pickup tube.
In the early '50's a friend of mine had a '36 sedan which had a intermediate problem, run fine, then quit. After several attempts to solve the problem the tank was pulled, that's when the grapes were found.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ken ct.
05-11-2018 @ 4:43 AM
Senior

Yea Steve, its seems to be coming around. I had been using Sea-Foam maybe put some more in it. Going to use it today to NAPA for my order of FP gaskets that are in. About 16 mi. round trip. Still doing FP's I can do them out of the house and mini-work shop shed. 4 out the door in the past week. Are you sorry you got rid of the Merc ?? ken ct.

len47merc
05-11-2018 @ 3:51 AM
Senior

Ken - I've had very good results with SeaFoam at double concentration with colleague's vehicles having your same problem. Fwiw. Any chance you can drain the tank and replenish with fresh and a high concentration of SeaFoam (or your DA)?

Glad to hear she's startin' to come around - good luck!

Steve

ken ct.
05-10-2018 @ 3:38 PM
Senior

Keith , I know the line is wrong but its been on there over 20 yrs and not a bit of trouble. If its not broke don't fix it.I just added another gal. of D.A. and some more fresh gas. Seems to be getting better and inline filter stays almost full most of the time.Trying to put miles on her to get rid of old gas and varnish in there. Looking better all the time. Thanks all you guys for the help. More reports will be coming. ken ct.

keith oh
05-10-2018 @ 12:41 PM

Ken, you being a carburator, fuel pump rebuilder , must know your ford was manufactured with a copper coated steel fuel line not a plain copper line. I think your 36 had a vent line feeding air to the fuel tank that may be stopped up by a spider or mud dobber bee. Sometimes the simplest things cause the most complicated seeming problems.

TomO
05-10-2018 @ 6:34 AM
Senior

Mike, I had the same problem with debris in the tank on a 41 Plymouth. Someone decided to steal the owners gas cap and replace it with a rag. The owner (a 16 year old) did not notice the rag was in there and drove the car until it needed another $1 of gas (this was in 1950) by this time the rag had fallen into the tank. Then he bought a new gas cap. The rag floated around and would make the car starve for fuel at the most inconvenient times. Sometimes it would be on a turn and other times it would be when starting from a stop light.

After 2 months of trouble shooting I sought guidance from my uncle about how to trouble shoot the problem. We did some real stupid things in the process, like take the hood off so we could feed the carburetor from a can of gas while driving around with a friend sitting on the fender to hold the can. My uncle blew a gasket when he heard about that. We found the rag when we followed my uncle's advice and removed the sending unit to look in the tank.

Sometimes when I look back at my teen years, I am surprised that I lived to be an adult.

Tom

kubes40
05-09-2018 @ 3:41 PM
Senior

Tom, I'm certain you can appreciate this... I once had a '40 that would idle seemingly "all day". Rev it up and it would stammer.
Long story - short... it turned out to be a floating piece of debris in the tank that got stuck on the pickup tube (end). It looked a bit like plastic wrap but wasn't of course.
At idle, the debris would "float away" from the pickup tube. When the engine demanded more fuel, it would get sucked down over the end of the tube and cause a starving situation.
I found this pretty much the way your advice dictates - basically, the process of elimination.
That was one of the more frustrating dilemmas I've ever encountered on one of these old Fords.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO
05-09-2018 @ 8:48 AM
Senior

Ken, lets start from the beginning. You say the fuel pumps pump fine and the car runs poorly. You blew air through the line and heard the air in the tank, so your line was open for a period of time.

Did you do a fuel delivery test? You should do this to make sure the problem is fuel starvation.

If it is fuel starvation, disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump and connect a temporary line the fuel pump and repeat the test. If the pump passes the test, repeat with the flex line in place and the tank line disconnected.

If it passes the test, disconnect the fuel lie at the tank and connect a rubber gas line to the end of the fuel line. Dip the hose end in a can of gas and repeat the fuel delivery test. If it passes the test, the problem is in the tank and you will have to see inside in order to solve the problem. Home Depot rents inspection cameras and you can feed the fiber optic cable through the filler pipe to see what is blocking the pickup.

If it is not a fuel delivery problem, check out your ignition system.

I am against using a copper fuel line, because they can work harden and crack. I also do not like inline fuel filters because like electric fuel pumps, they seem to cause as many problems as they fix. I rely on the fuel pump screen to catch the debris and the sediment bowl to catch the finer particles.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org