Topic: 36 coupe ken ct

ken ct.    -- 05-07-2018 @ 7:59 AM
  36 stock coupe . Is there a sock or filter of some sort on the pick up end that's in the tank.Is the access port uncovered when the rumble seat (bottom)is removed. How does it come up?? Suspecting a clogged inlet tube and varnish in tank from sitting a few yrs with gas in it. Got a gal of denatured alchol in it now with fresh gas but running great 1 minute and cr*ppy the next. ????? HELP. 2 fresh pumps on it and they pump fine. Its NOT a pump problem. Ken ct.

TomO    -- 05-08-2018 @ 7:45 AM
  Ken, try blowing air into the tank while you listen at the inlet pipe. If pickup is clear, you will hear the air. The line from the tank to the firewall could be plugged also. They rust on the inside and the rust plugs the line. Air pressure can be a temporary fix for this.

Sorry I cany help you on the access panel.

Tom

fordv8j    -- 05-08-2018 @ 8:15 AM
  on my 38 conv. coupe, I can get to the cover with the rumble lid blocked partly open, and you remove the bottom by picking up the front of it, it sets on two pins, your 36 may be different....

ken ct.    -- 05-08-2018 @ 8:33 AM
  Ive done that tom,tought to blow through at first then started gurggiling and ran better for a while. I have a copper gasline from tank to carb,no problems in 25 yrs with it. Its got to be varnished up or partially plugged. It does run when the inline glass tube filter is at least 1/2 ful then slowly almost nothing in it. Is there a sock or filter screen or something on the tank end of the pickup ??? ken ct. Could a like a speedometer long cable be run through from 1 end to the other. ( or thin wire cable) ?? Thank both of you for the help.

LarryK    -- 05-08-2018 @ 6:23 PM
  Ken,
Did you check the flex hose at the inlet to the fuel pump? If it is old, it could be deteriorated and partially plugged from exposure to ethanol gas.

Larry

kubes40    -- 05-08-2018 @ 6:47 PM
  Who rebuilt the pump? Are you certain it's operating correctly?

There is no filter in the tank.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 05-09-2018 @ 8:48 AM
  Ken, lets start from the beginning. You say the fuel pumps pump fine and the car runs poorly. You blew air through the line and heard the air in the tank, so your line was open for a period of time.

Did you do a fuel delivery test? You should do this to make sure the problem is fuel starvation.

If it is fuel starvation, disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump and connect a temporary line the fuel pump and repeat the test. If the pump passes the test, repeat with the flex line in place and the tank line disconnected.

If it passes the test, disconnect the fuel lie at the tank and connect a rubber gas line to the end of the fuel line. Dip the hose end in a can of gas and repeat the fuel delivery test. If it passes the test, the problem is in the tank and you will have to see inside in order to solve the problem. Home Depot rents inspection cameras and you can feed the fiber optic cable through the filler pipe to see what is blocking the pickup.

If it is not a fuel delivery problem, check out your ignition system.

I am against using a copper fuel line, because they can work harden and crack. I also do not like inline fuel filters because like electric fuel pumps, they seem to cause as many problems as they fix. I rely on the fuel pump screen to catch the debris and the sediment bowl to catch the finer particles.

Tom

kubes40    -- 05-09-2018 @ 3:41 PM
  Tom, I'm certain you can appreciate this... I once had a '40 that would idle seemingly "all day". Rev it up and it would stammer.
Long story - short... it turned out to be a floating piece of debris in the tank that got stuck on the pickup tube (end). It looked a bit like plastic wrap but wasn't of course.
At idle, the debris would "float away" from the pickup tube. When the engine demanded more fuel, it would get sucked down over the end of the tube and cause a starving situation.
I found this pretty much the way your advice dictates - basically, the process of elimination.
That was one of the more frustrating dilemmas I've ever encountered on one of these old Fords.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 05-10-2018 @ 6:34 AM
  Mike, I had the same problem with debris in the tank on a 41 Plymouth. Someone decided to steal the owners gas cap and replace it with a rag. The owner (a 16 year old) did not notice the rag was in there and drove the car until it needed another $1 of gas (this was in 1950) by this time the rag had fallen into the tank. Then he bought a new gas cap. The rag floated around and would make the car starve for fuel at the most inconvenient times. Sometimes it would be on a turn and other times it would be when starting from a stop light.

After 2 months of trouble shooting I sought guidance from my uncle about how to trouble shoot the problem. We did some real stupid things in the process, like take the hood off so we could feed the carburetor from a can of gas while driving around with a friend sitting on the fender to hold the can. My uncle blew a gasket when he heard about that. We found the rag when we followed my uncle's advice and removed the sending unit to look in the tank.

Sometimes when I look back at my teen years, I am surprised that I lived to be an adult.

Tom

keith oh    -- 05-10-2018 @ 12:41 PM
  Ken, you being a carburator, fuel pump rebuilder , must know your ford was manufactured with a copper coated steel fuel line not a plain copper line. I think your 36 had a vent line feeding air to the fuel tank that may be stopped up by a spider or mud dobber bee. Sometimes the simplest things cause the most complicated seeming problems.

ken ct.    -- 05-10-2018 @ 3:38 PM
  Keith , I know the line is wrong but its been on there over 20 yrs and not a bit of trouble. If its not broke don't fix it.I just added another gal. of D.A. and some more fresh gas. Seems to be getting better and inline filter stays almost full most of the time.Trying to put miles on her to get rid of old gas and varnish in there. Looking better all the time. Thanks all you guys for the help. More reports will be coming. ken ct.

len47merc    -- 05-11-2018 @ 3:51 AM
  Ken - I've had very good results with SeaFoam at double concentration with colleague's vehicles having your same problem. Fwiw. Any chance you can drain the tank and replenish with fresh and a high concentration of SeaFoam (or your DA)?

Glad to hear she's startin' to come around - good luck!

Steve

ken ct.    -- 05-11-2018 @ 4:43 AM
  Yea Steve, its seems to be coming around. I had been using Sea-Foam maybe put some more in it. Going to use it today to NAPA for my order of FP gaskets that are in. About 16 mi. round trip. Still doing FP's I can do them out of the house and mini-work shop shed. 4 out the door in the past week. Are you sorry you got rid of the Merc ?? ken ct.

wmsteed    -- 05-11-2018 @ 11:01 AM
  Back in "the day" a very common prank to pull on someone was to put a hand full of grapes into someones fuel tank.. The grapes would roll around in the bottom of the fuel tank until one of them came in contact with the fuel pickup tube, which on the old cars did not have a filter sock on the end.
The grape would make a perfect seal, cutting of the fuel. After the engine died the grape would dislodge from the fuel line and the engine would start, running for awhile until a grape came into contact with the fuel pickup tube.
In the early '50's a friend of mine had a '36 sedan which had a intermediate problem, run fine, then quit. After several attempts to solve the problem the tank was pulled, that's when the grapes were found.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ken ct.    -- 05-11-2018 @ 3:53 PM
  Ive had a locking cap on there for 25 yrs,dont think anyone put anything in the tank. thanks ken ct.

222444kelly    -- 05-15-2018 @ 1:54 AM
  Regarding old stinky gas in tank. I've had great success with using an electric fuel pump, either 6volt or 12 volt depending on vehicle, to temporarily hooked up to the fuel line from tank. Separate fuel line before vehicle's fuel pump or existing inline fuel filter if possible. I add another fuel line filter just before the electric fuel pump's filter (most electric fuel pumps come with a mini filter as part of the pump hardware, it's attached to the actual pump on the inlet side). I then run a length of fuel line from exit of electric fuel pump into an old cruddy gas can as you do not want to put good fresh fuel into the foul fuel receptacle. I run jumper wires from fuel pump's terminals to the car's battery or convenient power source access. I temporarily secure the "pumping assembly" with tape or zip ties because the pump does vibrate in operation. You need to standby and closely monitor situation, like overfilling the receiving can. To start and stop pump just remove one of the jumper wires from battery. I've pumped ten's of gallons of stinky old fuel out of cars over the years.
Problem in my area is that old gas is very difficult to dispose of properly.
PS: If you can find them, kitty litter sometimes comes in tall plastic containers with a 2" screw on lid. They are translucent and hold about three gallons of liquid. You can see the fuel level as you pump in. They are for very temporary fuel storage (maybe a week) as perhaps the plastic may deteriorate, due to ethanol and all.
BE CAREFUL,GOOD LUCK.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11887