LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Concourse Judging - First time

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Concourse Judging - First time -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

carguy
02-07-2018 @ 6:16 AM

I am planning to take my '34 to the Dearborn Meet in June and I would like to have folks who know what is correct judge my car. I have worked to keep my car authentic but I have not been a slave to it and have made some primarily electrical modifications to help make it more derivable.

Looking at the concourse rules I assume I will enter my car in the Concourse Division. Here are my questions:
Will I get a written list of the non-stock deviations?
Am I opening myself up to uncomfortable criticism?
Is there an operational or driving part of the judging?

Any comments about this experience, particularly first time experiences, will be welcomed and appreciated.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

Kens 36
02-07-2018 @ 6:52 AM

Bill,

I'm glad that you are planning to bring your '34 Cabriolet. Yes, it will be judged by folks that know about these cars. You will get a written report in the form of the judging sheets used at these meets. If you have not already done so, you can download a copy of these sheets from this site. On the left side, click on National Club Information, then Forms. There are several forms there used for judging. The specific form that will show everything that the judges check is called "Judging Supplement 1932-1948" - this will be returned to you with the judges comments at the end of the meet.

The judges will help you understand what is correct about your vehicle and note areas where improvements are needed. Some folks are happy to receive this information, others may take it as "uncomfortable criticism". For me, I'm always happy to know where I can improve my car. I was terrified my first time. The professionalism of the judges made me feel much better.

There is no driving part of the judging, except that all vehicles must be driven onto the concourse. There is an "Operational Check" before Concourse Day that checks each vehicle for proper operation of lights, brakes, horn, and more. Mostly safety-related items. You also must have an approved fire extinguisher with the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Ken Bounds

pauls39coupe
02-07-2018 @ 6:53 AM

Yes you will receive a written list of all the items that were judged correct or incorrect on your car. This is not a car show to see who has the most chrome or flashy paint. You will start out with a possible 1000 points and receive deductions for things that are not correct. If you have original accessories they must work. Just keep that in mind if you have an incorrect accessory remove it before the show or there will be points deducted.
Wear a thick skin because there are likely things on your car that are not as they were produced by Ford. Don't take offence as the cars are judged against a standard of how they looked when they rolled out the door of the Ford plant in 1934. They did not come with chrome axles or roll and pleat leather interiors, no matter how nice these additions may look. The judges are not out to "kill" your car, just point out what was stock, or not. They may find things that were changed 80 years ago when it was just a used car. Please don't be offended.
The operational check is the first part of judging. This insures that all the cars on the concourse are road worthy, not just trailer queens. The inspectors will look for a correct fire extinguisher first thing. This is a 1000 point deduction so be sure you have the required type in your car. They will also check the lights, horn, parking brake, and glass. If you have add on lights such as fog lights they will have to work also or there will be points deducted.
Have fun I hope to see you there.

OLDTMR
02-07-2018 @ 8:16 AM

Just reading about the judging and notice there is a 1000 point deduction for not having a fire extinguisher, Wondered what 34 Ford left the factory with one of those ? I understand it being for safety reasons but not original equipment unless I missed something ?

woodiewagon46
02-07-2018 @ 8:29 AM
Senior

Oldtmr, one has nothing to do with the other. Fire extinguishers are required by some antique car organizations for safety reasons. It's because of the close proximity of cars being shown. Lets say one car has a fire, why have to wait for the Fire Department to extinguish it. If everyone has a fire extinguisher a major fire can be avoided. Yes, you are missing something!

TomO
02-07-2018 @ 8:36 AM
Senior

I would purchase the 1933-1934 book and read it before the meet. The book will give you a good idea of what the judges will be looking for. With it and the judging sheet, you will have a good idea of how many points will be deducted and if there are some changes that you might want to make.

Some examples of changes that might be easy to make, if they are on your car, are exhaust pipe extensions, incorrect tire valve caps, incorrect license plate frames and clamp on mirrors. When you read the judging sheet and the book, the easy things to correct should become obvious.

If it looks like your car may lose too many points, you can always enter it into Touring Class. These classes are for members that have made changes to their cars so they are more comfortable for touring. Cars in this class are not point judged, members vote for the car that they would like to take on a tour.

You will be driving your trophy at Dearborn and I hope that you will have a lot of fun discussing cars and admiring the cars and the work that the owners did to bring them to a National Meet. I for one am looking forward to seeing your 34. It is one of my favorite years fo Ford.

Tom

3w2
02-07-2018 @ 8:55 AM
Senior

As you can appreciate, being human beings the degree of accurate knowledge among individual judges varies all over the map. Not stated above, but integral in the process is that you have the responsibility to document anything that may be controversial. That documentation ideally is from Ford's archives or from Ford documents in the public domain such as chassis and body parts catalogues and service bulletins.

Relying on hearsay or suppliers' offerings is not documentation. A classic example of the latter are the multiple choices of upholstery top material offered by firms such as LeBaron Bonney. They clearly state what they have that is closest to the original, but they also offer other choices of non-original colors and materials to cater to individual tastes, which in this hobby are all over the map. If, for example, a person takes the latter route, point deductions will be made accordingly.

Lastly, if you believe some item or items have been judged incorrectly, you have the right to appeal those deductions with either the Club's Chief Judge or Assistant Chief Judge at the concourse.

42wagon
02-07-2018 @ 12:13 PM
Senior

Keep in mind that your car is being judged by itself, not in comparison with other cars on the field as might be the case in other shows. The goal is to have your car as close to the way it left the Ford assembly plant or dealer as possible. You start with 1000 points and there will be deductions for items that are incorrect.

You mentioned that you have made changes to make the car more drive able. Depending what you have done there may be considerable points taken off. Will the criticism be uncomfortable? Only if you think what modifications you have done are reasonable even if there is no way they would have been part of the car originally.

You must ask yourself if your goal is to have a 1000 point car or just to have fun and enjoy driving it. If your answer is just to have fun then you probably belong in the touring class if you have made considerable modifications.

MG
02-07-2018 @ 12:47 PM
Senior

Enter you car to have it judged on the Concours Field and to h*ll with any point deductions. Take satisfaction in knowing that you have a car just good enough to be there. Think of it as a learning experience and enjoy the day....

ford38v8
02-07-2018 @ 12:53 PM
Senior

Bill, I agree with all of the above, and would add the following: Your statement that you have made electrical modifications leads me to emphasize that modifications from original will result in point deductions. You may minimize those deductions by replacing modern wiring with correct wiring having the original type of insulation, which is available from several makers and most suppliers.

On the Concourse, brief notes are sometimes made referencing specific deductions, and are explained by the Deputy immediately after your car is judged. It is best that you understand those deductions at that time of review, and to make your own notes thereafter. The judging sheets will be given to owners at the awards banquet, after which you may research each item you may wish to correct.

Alan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org