LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / generator front bearing replace

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: generator front bearing replace -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

40 Coupe
05-04-2010 @ 11:53 AM
Senior

remove the retaining clip on the end of the armature before removing the pulley.

supereal
05-02-2010 @ 8:59 AM
Senior

Fred: You are certainly right about "patience and thought" regarding old cars. The hobby is supposed to be fun, but can often be frustrating when the instructions say "remove", but don't tell you how, if it doesn't cooperate. Asking for tips can often prevent damage to an otherwise serviceable component. Remember the old adage "no one lives long enough to make all the mistakes".

fsacht
05-01-2010 @ 9:16 PM

I have removed the pulley from the shaft. Applied PB Blaster to the thread areas, and holding the armature with a leather glove grasping the armature, and using a screwdriver wedged against the shaft and a pulley fin was able to budge the pulley loose. With patient rotation - on and off was able to gradually remove the pulley. Patience and thought is so important when dealing with these old machines. Also important is careful assesment of the condition and details of the concern under consideration. Now that the pulley is free from the shaft,the bearing issues are less complex. Thanks for the advise and support.

supereal
04-30-2010 @ 11:38 AM
Senior

Yes, pounding or pressing on any threaded shaft is asking for trouble, even if you place the nut on the shaft to protect it. Those threads are fine, similar to those on the steering shaft, and like so many Ford pieces, are an odd pitch, making the use of a die difficult if the treads are damaged. If you have the proper set up to hold the pulley, a press will do it, as we often do at our shop. It takes special block, like those used to remove water pump pulleys from the shaft. As said earlier, if a generator needs a new bearing, it almost surely needs rebuilding, anyway, and the shop doing it can fuss with the pulley.

37RAGTOPMAN
04-29-2010 @ 3:57 PM
Senior

supereal
this is a job for the professional rebuilder,
I would not use a press for this job,very hard to determine how much pressure you are exerting,
a cast iron pulley blowing up in you face is kind of dangerous,
tapping on the end with A LITTLE Heat applied usually removes the stuck pulleys.
and press also can DAMAGE the treads,wouldn't you agree ?
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-29-10 @ 5:16 PM

supereal
04-29-2010 @ 11:24 AM
Senior

37: If someone hasn't done, or isn't familiar with the job, "tapping" usually doesn't mean much, and when the part doesn't budge, it often gets damaged. We have lots of this type of problem with things brought to our shop after the fact, when they really didn't "know the difference". We don't have any quarrel with anyone trying their hand at repairs, because that is what this Forum is about. A good many old car hobbyists are not mechanics, and when faced with a problem, getting help is not a sin, and can often be a less expensive solution.

TomO
04-29-2010 @ 7:25 AM
Senior

Frank, MG Auto Electric in Arlington Heights, IL rebuilds the 6V generators. The owner is a Model A guy.

His phone number is (847)394 1698.

Arlington Heights is a northwest suburb of Chicago.

Tom

c-gor
04-28-2010 @ 5:42 PM

Frank

Contact Regis Schilling NORG. I believe he can help you

Craig Gorris

RSS
04-28-2010 @ 5:08 PM

I did one of those generators a couple of years ago, I put the armature in a wood vice and loosened the pulley with a strap wrench. I also live in NW Indiana (Dyer). If you need help?, you could bring it to me and I will help. Randy

37RAGTOPMAN
04-28-2010 @ 4:12 PM
Senior

I was under the impression that it was a press on pulley.I never saw a screw on pulley,I guess the 48 MERCURY is different,I rebuilt and owned MODET T MODEL A and 49 51 53 FORDS
BUT leave it to FORD to come up with a screw on pulley,
I think you are going to have to buy the FORD service bullitins, for that job,or a FORD Repair Manual
and I bet that they had special KRW tools to do this,
I would call a expert and ask them , or send it out to get rebuilt,
SUPERREAL
I did not say HAMMER on the shaft to damage it,,I said tap on it,
I would think a person that is working on a certin job would know if they were hammering to hard and damage
and would KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.!!! the part they are working on,,
GOOD LUCK with the pulley,
KEEP ON TRUCKING 37RAGTOPMAN

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org