Topic: generator front bearing replace

fsacht    -- 04-27-2010 @ 4:47 PM
  Want to replace front bearing of 48 generator. How does one remove the pulley from the armature shaft? The shaft is threaded,a right hand thread. I have the rear cover off and the front bracket and armature in a vise but cant budge the pulley. Any advise to unsrew that pulley from the shaft and then removing and replacing the bearing. Seems no one in my area will work on these generators.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-27-2010 @ 5:32 PM
  loosen the nut on the front pulley a few turns,,stand on end,
soak with rust buster, not the cheap stuff,
do this for a few days,let it soak in around the shaft

you can Use a heat gun and heat up the pulley also
I would then tap the shaft while holding the pulley.wear work gloves, use a BRASS HEAD HAMMER,so you do not harm the treads,
this should remove the pulley it probably is rusted on,pretty good,
I think a press would break the pulley, because it is hard to get behind the pulley to get a hold of it,
there are some rebuilders in the V8 TIMES, and you can just send out and have rebuilt by a expert.if the front bearing is bad,brushes rear bushing etc,? I am sure it is time to get it done so you do not get stranded on the road,
do not hold the armature in the vise. you will distort it,and may harm the windings.
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

42wagon    -- 04-28-2010 @ 3:24 AM
  Just to add to what 37 ragtopman has told you, the pulley is not scr*w*d on. The shaft has a taper to it and the pulley has a taper fit just like your rear axle and brake drums.

The bearing has a press fit in the front housing and will need to be pressed out once you have the pulley off. If the bearing is frozen and the shaft has turned in it you may need to turn the shaft and make a spacer for a proper fit in the bearing.
Ted

supereal    -- 04-28-2010 @ 7:06 AM
  Take the assembly to a good machine shop and have it pressed apart. Hammering will almost always cause damage. Take along a replacement bearing to be installed. Chances are that is the generator is old enough to need a bearing, the rest of it is also badly worn, and should be overhauled.

fsacht    -- 04-28-2010 @ 3:53 PM
  The generator in question is the one that was on the car, a 1948 Mercury, at the time I puchased it. The pulley is not pressed onto the shaft but rather screws on. This is not unusual. I have a couple generators of this kind, one of which is from the 48 Merc I purchased in 1959, which I still have. The only generator I have that has a pressed on pulley is from a 1940 ford that had the fan secured to the face of the generator pulley. Two points. In the northwest Indiana area I haven't learned of one who rebuilds these old generators. How do you secure the armature to keep it from rotating without damage, while attempting to remove the pulley that is not pressed on but scr*w*d onto the armature shaft?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-28-2010 @ 4:12 PM
  I was under the impression that it was a press on pulley.I never saw a screw on pulley,I guess the 48 MERCURY is different,I rebuilt and owned MODET T MODEL A and 49 51 53 FORDS
BUT leave it to FORD to come up with a screw on pulley,
I think you are going to have to buy the FORD service bullitins, for that job,or a FORD Repair Manual
and I bet that they had special KRW tools to do this,
I would call a expert and ask them , or send it out to get rebuilt,
SUPERREAL
I did not say HAMMER on the shaft to damage it,,I said tap on it,
I would think a person that is working on a certin job would know if they were hammering to hard and damage
and would KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.!!! the part they are working on,,
GOOD LUCK with the pulley,
KEEP ON TRUCKING 37RAGTOPMAN

RSS    -- 04-28-2010 @ 5:08 PM
  I did one of those generators a couple of years ago, I put the armature in a wood vice and loosened the pulley with a strap wrench. I also live in NW Indiana (Dyer). If you need help?, you could bring it to me and I will help. Randy

c-gor    -- 04-28-2010 @ 5:42 PM
  Frank

Contact Regis Schilling NORG. I believe he can help you

Craig Gorris

TomO    -- 04-29-2010 @ 7:25 AM
  Frank, MG Auto Electric in Arlington Heights, IL rebuilds the 6V generators. The owner is a Model A guy.

His phone number is (847)394 1698.

Arlington Heights is a northwest suburb of Chicago.

Tom

supereal    -- 04-29-2010 @ 11:24 AM
  37: If someone hasn't done, or isn't familiar with the job, "tapping" usually doesn't mean much, and when the part doesn't budge, it often gets damaged. We have lots of this type of problem with things brought to our shop after the fact, when they really didn't "know the difference". We don't have any quarrel with anyone trying their hand at repairs, because that is what this Forum is about. A good many old car hobbyists are not mechanics, and when faced with a problem, getting help is not a sin, and can often be a less expensive solution.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-29-2010 @ 3:57 PM
  supereal
this is a job for the professional rebuilder,
I would not use a press for this job,very hard to determine how much pressure you are exerting,
a cast iron pulley blowing up in you face is kind of dangerous,
tapping on the end with A LITTLE Heat applied usually removes the stuck pulleys.
and press also can DAMAGE the treads,wouldn't you agree ?
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-29-10 @ 5:16 PM

supereal    -- 04-30-2010 @ 11:38 AM
  Yes, pounding or pressing on any threaded shaft is asking for trouble, even if you place the nut on the shaft to protect it. Those threads are fine, similar to those on the steering shaft, and like so many Ford pieces, are an odd pitch, making the use of a die difficult if the treads are damaged. If you have the proper set up to hold the pulley, a press will do it, as we often do at our shop. It takes special block, like those used to remove water pump pulleys from the shaft. As said earlier, if a generator needs a new bearing, it almost surely needs rebuilding, anyway, and the shop doing it can fuss with the pulley.

fsacht    -- 05-01-2010 @ 9:16 PM
  I have removed the pulley from the shaft. Applied PB Blaster to the thread areas, and holding the armature with a leather glove grasping the armature, and using a screwdriver wedged against the shaft and a pulley fin was able to budge the pulley loose. With patient rotation - on and off was able to gradually remove the pulley. Patience and thought is so important when dealing with these old machines. Also important is careful assesment of the condition and details of the concern under consideration. Now that the pulley is free from the shaft,the bearing issues are less complex. Thanks for the advise and support.

supereal    -- 05-02-2010 @ 8:59 AM
  Fred: You are certainly right about "patience and thought" regarding old cars. The hobby is supposed to be fun, but can often be frustrating when the instructions say "remove", but don't tell you how, if it doesn't cooperate. Asking for tips can often prevent damage to an otherwise serviceable component. Remember the old adage "no one lives long enough to make all the mistakes".

40 Coupe    -- 05-04-2010 @ 11:53 AM
  remove the retaining clip on the end of the armature before removing the pulley.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1156