LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Banjo Rearend?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Banjo Rearend? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

carcrazy
12-11-2017 @ 5:06 PM
Senior

I had planned on using a hydraulic clutch on this installation. I purchased it in a package deal from Cornhusker as he was reluctant to sell me just an adapter bellhousing by itself. The Offenhauser bellhousings that Speedway offered had a defect that my machinist rejected. The one from Cornhusker was machined correctly and was acceptable to the shop.

1936TWC
12-11-2017 @ 11:55 AM

Car crazy; thanks for the reply. I am considering installing a T5 in a 1934 Ford and wondering about;
1. Use of original pedals and linkage
2. Transmission mounting
Was hydraulic clutch setup a choice or had to?

carcrazy
12-07-2017 @ 8:41 PM
Senior

I am installing a T5 behind a '37 V8 60 that is going into a Crosley. The bellhousing adapter and hydraulic clutch set up came from Cornhusker. The 9" Ford type clutch disc with hub to accept the 14 spline T5 input shaft came from Speedway. The open driveshaft is a cutdown Mustang II unit with a front yoke from The Gearbox. The rear axle is an 8" Mustang II unit with 3.0 open differential that has been cutdown to provide a 40" tread. Rear axle will be located by a parallel 4-bar setup with coilover shocks and a Panhard rod for lateral location.

1936TWC
12-07-2017 @ 12:24 PM

Great discussion. Has anyone installed a T5 transmission in a Early Ford? Stock pedal and linkage? I would appreciate any feedback.

Marty

40topless
11-20-2017 @ 6:55 AM

My 40 I just rebuilt a rearend. Using 3:54 gears. It had 3:78 in it. Now it goes down the road with ease.. we have another 40 with 3:54 in it also. No problem keeping up with traffic at 60 or 65. Also the speedo gear has 18 teeth on it for the 3:54 ratio. Happy cruising...

JayChicago
11-18-2017 @ 1:05 PM

When I first got my 1940 last year, I was a little disappointed that it didn't come with an Columbia unit so I could keep up with highway traffic. Researching what it would take to add one, I came across a post from Mike Kubes that went something like this:

"I can imagine driving these cars at 70-80 MPH. But I can't imagine being able to stop or steer them safely in an emergency at that speed."

That changed my outlook. Now I happily drive the Interstate in the right lane at 55 MPH, enjoying the stares and smiles and thumbs-up from passing vehicles. Each trip takes a little longer to get there.....I get to spend a little more time doing what I love to do, driving my old car.

len47merc
11-17-2017 @ 2:45 PM
Senior

I will weigh in and agree with Alan's reply and add to his comments with the following two paragraphs for use our V8's with overdrive or not:

1st - 3.54 is perfect for ALL flat-land driving ONLY. 3.78 (which is what I have) is ideal for flat-land, rolling hills, foothills and moderate mountain driving. 3.78 will get you up Pike's Peak in 1st gear but is not ideal for only mountainous terrain. Install an OD with either of these and on intermittent hilly terrain you will be kicking it in and out of OD to the point of annoyance.

2nd - who in their right mind wants to drive a STOCK EFV8 above 55-60 mph anyway? My 3.78 with 710 Firestones turns ~2,500 rpm at 60 mph actual per GPS which is right in the middle of the torque curve for a 59AB. Installing a 30% OD will reduce RPMS to ~1,800 which is outside of the torque curve - it will work on flat land but upon realizing the first modest incline it'll be time to kick it out. I've driven it at higher speeds just to see what it would do and believe me, any even minor emergency maneuver required above those speeds will not end well for any STOCK vehicle with STOCK suspension components.

Steve

MG
11-17-2017 @ 1:11 PM
Senior

I replaced the 4:11 rear end in my '34 Sedan with 3:54's and now wish I would have selected 3:78's instead. As ford38v8 said above > "3.78 x 1 is the optimum ratio for multi purpose driving."....

deluxe40
11-17-2017 @ 10:24 AM

I have three Fords that I drive at least once per month. Each drive is at least 20 miles with only small hills and involves backing out of my barn up a steep hill. All have stock flathead engines. 1) The best setup is the '40 which has a 4.11 ratio and a Columbia. The Columbia provides a 2.97 ratio in overdrive and will happily run faster than I care to drive. I have been driving it for more than 40 years all over the western U.S. with no problems from the Columbia. 2) The second best setup is the 3.25 ratio in a '41 Sedan Delivery. It's a little sluggish off the line and I have worn out one Chinese clutch in the ten years I have been driving it. Also, I have to choose between slipping the clutch and going too fast while backing out of the barn. The rear tires are radials that are slightly smaller than stock. The '41 likes to run about 62 mph on the highway. 3) The third setup is a '32 with 3.54 gears. It's fine around town and I don't care to drive in more than 55 mph, where it's happy. I have been driving the '32 for 20 years.

voced
11-17-2017 @ 6:09 AM

Shane: I understand where you are coming from. I had the same concern and was advised to put in the 3:78 gears, however after going through all that it still didn't feel right on the highway. I wish at the time that I would have put in the 3:52 gears. But instead I installed a Columbia 2 speed rear end. What a great difference that made. It makes my little 35 pickup with all original engine fly with ease. Now the issue is stopping, so I have to make sure there is plenty of room in front of me on the highway. I live in all flat driving in Indiana.
Jerry

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org