LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / TIMING A 39 FORD

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: TIMING A 39 FORD -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

37RAGTOPMAN
05-10-2010 @ 8:57 AM
Senior

MTLOT
YES You can install points and gap them in a early FORD Distributer and have it running with no problems,
back in the days, FORD had rebuilt ones on the shelf ready to go, and when they were slow in the shop would rebuild them,
its not only setting the points,
with a HEYER,SUN, or K R WILSON,DIST TESTER you also have to see if it advances the timing.this is not possible in your hands, and how the bushing are and the springs,tension, etc etc etc, check the dwell and to see if the cam is worn down etc
I have installed points in a early dist and had no problems,but I think I got lucky,
when you send the distributer to a rebuilder, you should send the coil also,and have it tested to make sure it passes the heat test,most of them fail this test,
this DISTRIBUTER for the EARLY FORD are a complex unit,
that need special testers with gauges and meters,to see if they are working correctly
I heard a GERMAN engineeer that worked for FORD,That was the one who designed it, and remember it was used for 16 years, and more,
it is a excellant unit when done right,
but not done right can be a frustrating.
I think the ADVICE given here is to assist the novice is his QUESTIONS,and advice was given in a honest way.and the best way to go so they do not have more problems
leading them in the RIGHT DIRECTION,
sure we could tell them to install points and go with it, what happens when they get stuck on the road ?
you seem very critrical on the advice given here,
WHY DO YOU THINK FORD had SPECIAL Equipment to service these distributers ?
we are just trying to help,
Skip Haney is only one out of many that rebuild the distributer and coils,plus more...
did you ever install a set of points in a early FORD distributer ?
this something you do not want to do on the road,
most people have a hard time just removing and installing one,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,!!!!!! 37RAGTOPMAN

deuce_roadster
05-09-2010 @ 3:39 PM

The original question was what is the "proper" way to time the flathead. I would think this means "best" way to do it. Sure, MLott could rebuild a helmet distrib on the side of the road in the night with a swiss army knife and get it running but he seems to not understand the original question. Nobody said that using a Sun machine was the ONLY way to do it, but it is the BEST way. People like Mlott will argue with anyone about anything and I would say the best thing to do is just ignore him and hopefully he will go away. The vast majority of the suggestions here are very good. We don't need someone on a negative soapbox.

silverchief
05-09-2010 @ 2:38 PM
Senior

If I had all the money and headaches Supereal, and Tom0, have saved me using their advice I could buy a case of NOS distributors.

I'm happy to dance with the guys what brung me.

Norm
05-09-2010 @ 8:25 AM

When I was a kid I took a lot of clocks apart. That didn't make me a clock expert.

Norm

Stroker
05-09-2010 @ 7:55 AM
Senior

AMEN

ford38v8
05-08-2010 @ 10:59 PM
Senior

Parrish, I think you are a quick study. You may also teach some of us a lesson or three.

Alan

parrish
05-08-2010 @ 10:30 PM

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 222–230

MTLott
04-22-2010 @ 2:28 PM

You're right. I'm "wrong" ... and in the wrong place.

(Let me add to my response. Had a very busy weekend up until now.)

And please, don't bother responding to this. Just think about it.

You all seem to agree that nobody should attempt to set up a distributor. That only a Skip Haney is capable.

Norm wrote, "... and none of us imagined doing it ourselves. Change an engine - sure. Rebuild a distributor - no way." That is sad. Sad for the hobby, and sad that the message is "DON'T TRY."

Who is going to be the next "Skip Haney?" Or is the hobby destined to be forced over to billet, electronic ignitions ... because of the "best advice" from The Early Ford V-8 Club experts is the bogey man lives inside the distributor.

Supereal wrote, "If our responses annoy you, Mr. Lott, it is difficult to understand why you spend any time critiquing them instead of offering some more constructive dialog, as you claim to have more and better answers." Partner, I beat my head against the wall with my posts about diaphragm clutches. You were not aware they have been in use in cars almost exclusively for the past 40 years ... "constructive dialog?" I went to extra effort to post links on the subject. You never acknowledged any appreciation for the information.

I'm gone from here. Incidentally, I have four Sun Distributor Testers and am rebuilding a fifth. I will not be the next Skip Haney, BUT I may be the guy who encourages his replacement to not be scared to death of working on a flathead distributor.

If I had encountered this forum before taking a set of feeler gauges to a distributor, I never would have learned anything about them.

Some of you have immense TECHNICAL knowledge and TECHNICAL experience. That does not mean you are giving the BEST advice.

Now re-read my original post that began, "Do you guys ever consider that some of the folks that ask these tune-up questions are in this as a hobby?"

"... some more constructive dialog?" Yep, that's a great idea. How do you do that with people that already know it all?

Just like diaphragm clutches and the V8-60 (remember, "I'm not sure why you want to spend time and money on a 60. That engine is, for all practical purposes, obsolete."), ... "constructive dialog."

This message was edited by MTLott on 4-25-10 @ 5:41 AM

supereal
04-22-2010 @ 2:14 PM
Senior

Ken: We keep a number of point sets on hand that have been carefully inspected for quality. Currently, about half or more of the points sent to us with distributors to be repaired are rejected. I see, in Bob Drake's newest catalog, that they are offering better point sets. Given Drake's reputation for quality, I would expect that to be true.

supereal
04-22-2010 @ 2:11 PM
Senior

Yes, we understand that most, if not all, of our Club members are hobbyists, and those of us who offer suggestions do our best to provide the benefit of experience even as we are handicapped by not having the component in question before us. If our responses annoy you, Mr. Lott, it is difficult to understand why you spend any time critiquing them instead of offering some more constructive dialog, as you claim to have more and better answers. No one says anyone HAS to do anything.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org