LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / use of electric fuel along with std. mech.

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: use of electric fuel along with std. mech. -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

tonys1950
09-27-2017 @ 7:46 PM

my 1950 ford has the std mech fuel pump, can i place a electric one in the same line say at the back near the tank ? my thinking is vapor lock, live in hot climate and ez of starting after sitting long periods of time. if that can be done, should it be switched where i can turn it off and on ? thanks

trjford8
09-27-2017 @ 8:27 PM
Senior

You can put an electric pump back near the tank. Make sure it is one that your stock pump can pull gas through when the electric is not in use. Put a toggle switch under the dash and wire it to the pump so you can easily turn it on when needed..

len47merc
09-28-2017 @ 4:21 AM
Senior

Recommend you find the root cause of your 'vapor lock', resolve that first and you'll then find no need for an electric fuel pump, which, imho, is a band-aid at best. Reams of information on this Forum on the subject are available when searching for 'vapor lock', 'hot start', etc., that will help you to solve your problem in very likely much less time than it will take to install the band-aid efp.

Plenty of examples of EFV8 members that live in hot climates - PLENTY - that run stock configurations, without electric fuel pumps, and never experience the problem. Know then it can be effectively resolved - and quickly I might add - with effective and logical problem solving techniques and processes. Perform a few searches. Coil, fuel pressure, fuel line air leaks - all quickly come to mind and there's lots here on all of these that will help you.

Steve

Big Red 51
09-28-2017 @ 7:14 AM

Tony "Vapor Lock" effect in HOT weather could be several things in the fuel system. I have found over the years with a good fuel system the "Vapor Lock effect" in hot weather is usually caused by a bad ignition coil.
Carry a spare coil and you are set.

TomO
09-28-2017 @ 7:22 AM
Senior

I agree with Steve and want to add that an electric fuel pump can cause the very problem that you are trying to fix.

Most electric fuel pumps and accessory filters are installed by cutting the fuel line and adding in the filter with rubber hoses. The Ford fuel pump sits at the top of the engine, so it is very sensitive to any vacuum leak in the supply side of the fuel pump. The rubber hoses with the hose clamps tend to leak a small amount of air when the pump is trying to suck fuel from the tank. This will have an effect when you need the pump to be most efficient, starting after sitting and on hot days.

If you do install an electric fuel pump, use a momentary contact switch to activate it. This will only keep the pump active while you are pressing on the switch. If you want to use the pump continuous wire it through an oil pressure switch, so it will shut off in an accident. Search the internet for ways to wire the pump safely.

Tom

wmsteed
09-28-2017 @ 9:08 AM
Senior

Having been there done that, I found many years ago that the addition of a properly installed electric fuel pump was as important as having a spare tire and tools to change same.
In 1951 I was driving my '41 Ford tudor in the middle of the night in no-where Idaho. No cell phone, no Triple A, and no traffic on the road.
My fuel pump had quit, so what to do. I resorted to all of the usual roadside repairs. I cut the tongue out of one of my shoes to secure a piece of leather to put on top of the fuel pump push rod. The car started and ran for for a couple of miles, the repair was close but no cookie.
I next cut a piece of leather from my thick belt, placing same into the fuel pump push rod cup and reinstalled the pump. Engine started, ran for a few miles, then quit. Both quick fixes confirmed that the pump was toast. Now what, not one vehicle came along during all of the time I fiddled with the Ford.
I finally got an idea, I got a gallon can out of the trunk, took the vacuum lines off of the wipers, siphoned some gas from the tank, (everyone use to carry an Oklahoma credit card) I attached the can to the top of the car with friction tape, rigged the vacuum hose to the float bowel, started a siphon on the hose, which provided a gravity fuel feed from the can to the carb.
I slowly drove the car to town, stopping from time to time to refill the gallon can as need.
In 1976 I used the same trick on a F100 pickup that lost a fuel pump while we were hunting in the mountains of Idaho.
In my book an electric fuel pump is a must have item to have wired into a vehicle, I have one on all of my vintage vehicles, if nothing else it makes for easier starting after the vehicle has sat for weeks of non use..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

len47merc
09-28-2017 @ 3:07 PM
Senior

Bill - I respect and appreciate your position as well as the full content of your reply above. I will offer a couple of different perspectives. If I am traveling longer distances, regardless if through no-man's land or not, I always have a back-up fuel pump and simple tools with me to make the emergency roadside change if needed. As Kens 36 put it, the back-up is only there to ensure you'll never need it, and so far he's been right on the money. So, moral of the story - no need for an electric fuel pump imho.

Second alternative perspective, which goes to the last point you made regarding ease of starting after sitting for long periods of time. After following all the excellent advice given on this Forum to me back in 2013-early 2014, my '47 has sat for in excess of 14 weeks without starting (max experienced so far) and the (non-original but ok with me as it doesn't kick me out of Rouge class) fuel filter is still full, the glass bowl on the fuel pump is still full, the well-reworked carb bowl is still full, and, with a quick 'full-pull' of the choke (and I mean QUICK - push it back in quickly) and a push of the starter button it will fire up virtually instantly - so far EVERY time. Sooo...my point/alternative perspective is that a properly set-up and optimally operating fuel delivery system is more than capable of addressing any perceived or real vapor lock issues, and will start an optimally set-up EFV8 on the first couple of turns of the engine without an electric fuel pump. One, IMHO, simply needs to invest the time to 'get-it-right'. TomO, 38fordv8 (Alan), kubes40, trjford8, Old Henry, ken ct., supereal, carcrazy, and a long, long list & host of EFV8 others quite frankly got this '47 to this point - I just provided the hands to follow and execute upon their advice.

Bottom line - am an absolute stickler for originality and believe and trust in the reliability of a properly set-up and optimized EFV8 engine, electrical and fuel delivery systems. So far have 12K+ miles (including 2 tours in excess of 1,000 miles each, 1 in 95+ degree temps) to support the conviction and multiple long periods (2-3 months) of no activity only to find the engine fires up on the first touch of the button. And (not looking for any wood to knock on here as I say this) have never once experienced a vapor lock and never worry about it, including stop-'n-go July 4th parades here in central NC.

I can appreciate the peace of mind an electric fuel pump may give. My peace of mind and confidence in spontaneously jumping in the '47 for a several hundred mile to 1K+ trip regardless of ambient temps without concern comes from knowing the legwork was done and the foundation built to 'get-it-right' the first time (actually for me it was the second or third time because in my stubbornness and thick-headedness I thought I knew everything originally and (then) refused to listen to our resident EFV8 experts until I ultimately had to accept both my lack of knowledge and all their depth of the same and experience!).

Fwiw...

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 9-28-17 @ 5:13 PM

tonys1950
09-28-2017 @ 4:56 PM

WOW !!!! thanks guys, great info, i will try the simple stuff first and can alway go to electric set up.

fordv8j
09-29-2017 @ 5:45 PM

I've had an electric fuel pump on my 38 coupe, it has kept me from stalling numerous times, and easier to start when car sits for a while

supereal
10-03-2017 @ 2:32 PM
Senior

We use the AirTex electric pump sold by C&G. It is a "'flow thru" type available in both 6 and 12 volt models. It comes complete with hoses and clamps, and all hardware for mounting. We use the worm screw clamps, rather than the spring type. Mount as close to the tank as possible, as they push better than pull fuel. The stock number is 11A-9350. E6 for 6 volts, E-12 for 12 volts. 1-800-266-0470.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org