LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1936 Not running right

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1936 Not running right -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

forJJ
08-31-2017 @ 5:00 PM

I just got my 36 on the road this summer. Original, survivor, nothing custom. I rewired everything, new tank, gas line, rebuilt carb, and new valves. It was running fine, and then it cut off while driving. Trailered it home. It will idle, but no power. It runs rough and will cut off if I give it gas. I swapped carbs, but it didn't help. Any ideas?

carcrazy
08-31-2017 @ 5:20 PM
Senior

I would check the ignition system first. The coil may have gone bad.

forJJ
08-31-2017 @ 6:40 PM

I have extra coils, is there any way to test them?

TomO
09-01-2017 @ 6:41 AM
Senior

Pull a spark plug wire and hold it close to a head nut while the engine is idling. You should have a nice 1/2" long blue spark. If it is orange in color, you can try a new condenser and if that doesn't work a different coil.

If the different coil fixes the weak spark, send your original coil to Skip Haney to have it rebuilt. The rebuilt will last you many years.

http://www.fordcollector.com/

Tom

Grant
09-01-2017 @ 6:47 AM
Senior

Our '36 acted up like that once.

It turned out that the vacuum brake adjuster nut and bolt on the 40B distributor had worked their way loose.

The fix was to gently turn the bolt all the way down, then back it out two full turns, and after that tighten down the nut.

Good luck.

supereal
09-02-2017 @ 12:03 PM
Senior

Starting at the battery, follow the wiring, including the battery cable terminals, for good, tight connections. We have seen cables that have corroded inside the terminals produce that problem at one end or the other of both cables. A loose or dirty connection at the solenoid is a possibility. Place a voltmeter across the ends of all wiring in the system. Any reading shows loss in that part. I agree that the ignition switch is often the culprit, as are terminals on the coil and distributor. These can be hard to find, so flex the wiring near the terminals as you test them.Almost all problems are due to the last thing you did. As you have rewired "everything", it will take some time.

forJJ
09-02-2017 @ 12:03 PM

The coil that is on the car was rebuilt by Skip, so I don't think that is the issue, but I want to test it anyway. As far as vacuum, I have mechanical brakes, but I'm going to check the other lines.

Thanks for the suggestions.

pauls39coupe
09-02-2017 @ 5:17 PM

It sounds like you may have had one side or the other of your points partially close up. Rubbing blocks wear, springs break, locking screws slip. Lack or sufficient dwell will cause the problem you describe.
Check for spark like Tom said that is likely your problem.
The vacuum brake Grant spoke of is that big nut thing on the top right hand side of your distributor. It's function is to limit the amount of centrifical advance in the distributor and is controlled by engine vacuum. If that is loose you would have a vacuum leak which would upset performance.
As Super suggested check all your electrical connections and grounds. Condenser failure is common and even Skip can have a coil fail now and then.

forJJ
09-04-2017 @ 12:46 PM

I checked the spark. I am not getting 1/2" of spark when running. I only see blue-ish spark when the wire is within 1/8" of the plug. I checked my spare parts, and tried a different condenser, but same issue. The spare coils I have are the wrong ones, so I am thinking about buying a new coil and condenser. Any other suggestions before I spend $150?

pauls39coupe
09-04-2017 @ 3:48 PM

Yup! Pull the distributor and check the points. Make sure the point springs are not broken, and that the rotor is in good shape The contacts should be bright and shinny. The gap should be between .014 to .016. If it is much less than that you will not get sufficient dwell. Short dwell time would not let your coil fully charge, thus the weak spark, and poor performance at anything above idle.
The distributor has an offset drive tang, and will only go back on one way. Use care to be sure the tang is engaged in the cam before you tighten the bolts on the housing.
Please post back and let us know what you find.
Paul

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org