LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Dim Headlights

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Dim Headlights -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

mgeewhiz
08-04-2017 @ 5:12 PM

My '46 Convertible has dim headlights. I tested the headlights out of the car using a 6 volt battery, and the headlights are OK. Low and high beam are both dim. I checked all connections, had a loose wire at the switch (aftermarket) which I re-connected, and still the headlights are dim. What are typical causes that I can run down.

fordv8j
08-04-2017 @ 5:59 PM

A bad ground connection will cause dim lights

alanwoodieman
08-04-2017 @ 7:00 PM
Senior

run a ground wire from each light fixture back to the frame , make sure the connections are clean and tight

CharlieStephens
08-04-2017 @ 7:20 PM
Senior

I assume you are perusing the ground problem, if the problem is not there any chance you rewired the car using wire that was too small?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-5-17 @ 9:16 AM

Drbrown
08-04-2017 @ 10:52 PM
Senior

The internal contacts in your dash board light switch may be wearing out or simply dirty. Although a "bear" to remove/replace, taking the switch apart is not difficult. They are surprisingly simply inside. Have photos if needed.

TomO
08-05-2017 @ 12:57 PM
Senior

The most common cause of the dim lights is the dimmer switch. You can do a voltage drop test (explained in many posts on this Forum) or just try operating the dimmer switch about 50 times. If operating the dimmer switch doean't make your lights brighter, you will have to use the voltage drop test to isolate the problem.

To check the ground circuit, connect a meter between the + battery post and the headlight retaining ring with the headlights on. The meter should read 0.1Volt or less, ahigher reading indicates a poor ground connection.

Tom

carcrazy
08-05-2017 @ 1:32 PM
Senior

The steps listed here are good. If after performing all of these tasks the headlights are still not as bright as you would like, you can install a headlight relay. Claims for the headlight relays are that your headlights could be up to 30% brighter and that your headlight switch could have a 50% longer service life. One source for headlight relays is Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts. Their email site is www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com

51f1
08-05-2017 @ 4:53 PM
Senior

If your headlights, wiring, switches, etc., are in the condition that they were in when Henry sold the car, brightness shouldn't be a problem, so find out what's wrong and fix it. Your 6-volt headlights will never be as bright as modern 12-volt headlights. Twelve volt headlight bulbs are higher wattage and, therefore, brighter than 6-volt

Richard

56MarkII
08-05-2017 @ 7:02 PM

I agree with TomO about the dimmer switch because shortly after I got my 50 Merc my dimmer switch died and my headlights were so dim they were totally useless. Like he mentioned instead of stabbing around in the dark I got the multimeter out. As for 12V headlights being brighter, the 6 volt are just as bright as conventional regular 12 volt headlights if everything is working properly. One thing I will probably get are 6 volt halogen headlights that are on ePay for a reasonable price. 6volt halogen headlights? Apparently they are used in motorcycles. They also have the replacement bulbs that will fit in the 7 inch halogen headlights. Now if only they had halogen taillight bulbs so my signal lights can be seen during the day through those thick dark red tailights on my car.

TomO
08-06-2017 @ 8:18 AM
Senior

56MarkII, there are halogen tail light bulbs available, but I would noy use them as they draw 2 much current. There are 6 Volt Pos Ground LED bulbs available for replacing the 1154 bulb. I have not tried ant of them, so if you decide to try them, please let us know your results.

Google "1154 bulb 6 volt positive ground led replacement" for some of the replacements.

This bulb is advertised as the brightess:

http://www.flipflopled.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=94&product_id=492

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org