Topic: Dim Headlights

mgeewhiz    -- 08-04-2017 @ 5:12 PM
  My '46 Convertible has dim headlights. I tested the headlights out of the car using a 6 volt battery, and the headlights are OK. Low and high beam are both dim. I checked all connections, had a loose wire at the switch (aftermarket) which I re-connected, and still the headlights are dim. What are typical causes that I can run down.

fordv8j    -- 08-04-2017 @ 5:59 PM
  A bad ground connection will cause dim lights

alanwoodieman    -- 08-04-2017 @ 7:00 PM
  run a ground wire from each light fixture back to the frame , make sure the connections are clean and tight

CharlieStephens    -- 08-04-2017 @ 7:20 PM
  I assume you are perusing the ground problem, if the problem is not there any chance you rewired the car using wire that was too small?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-5-17 @ 9:16 AM

Drbrown    -- 08-04-2017 @ 10:52 PM
  The internal contacts in your dash board light switch may be wearing out or simply dirty. Although a "bear" to remove/replace, taking the switch apart is not difficult. They are surprisingly simply inside. Have photos if needed.

TomO    -- 08-05-2017 @ 12:57 PM
  The most common cause of the dim lights is the dimmer switch. You can do a voltage drop test (explained in many posts on this Forum) or just try operating the dimmer switch about 50 times. If operating the dimmer switch doean't make your lights brighter, you will have to use the voltage drop test to isolate the problem.

To check the ground circuit, connect a meter between the + battery post and the headlight retaining ring with the headlights on. The meter should read 0.1Volt or less, ahigher reading indicates a poor ground connection.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 08-05-2017 @ 1:32 PM
  The steps listed here are good. If after performing all of these tasks the headlights are still not as bright as you would like, you can install a headlight relay. Claims for the headlight relays are that your headlights could be up to 30% brighter and that your headlight switch could have a 50% longer service life. One source for headlight relays is Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts. Their email site is www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com

51f1    -- 08-05-2017 @ 4:53 PM
  If your headlights, wiring, switches, etc., are in the condition that they were in when Henry sold the car, brightness shouldn't be a problem, so find out what's wrong and fix it. Your 6-volt headlights will never be as bright as modern 12-volt headlights. Twelve volt headlight bulbs are higher wattage and, therefore, brighter than 6-volt

Richard

56MarkII    -- 08-05-2017 @ 7:02 PM
  I agree with TomO about the dimmer switch because shortly after I got my 50 Merc my dimmer switch died and my headlights were so dim they were totally useless. Like he mentioned instead of stabbing around in the dark I got the multimeter out. As for 12V headlights being brighter, the 6 volt are just as bright as conventional regular 12 volt headlights if everything is working properly. One thing I will probably get are 6 volt halogen headlights that are on ePay for a reasonable price. 6volt halogen headlights? Apparently they are used in motorcycles. They also have the replacement bulbs that will fit in the 7 inch halogen headlights. Now if only they had halogen taillight bulbs so my signal lights can be seen during the day through those thick dark red tailights on my car.

TomO    -- 08-06-2017 @ 8:18 AM
  56MarkII, there are halogen tail light bulbs available, but I would noy use them as they draw 2 much current. There are 6 Volt Pos Ground LED bulbs available for replacing the 1154 bulb. I have not tried ant of them, so if you decide to try them, please let us know your results.

Google "1154 bulb 6 volt positive ground led replacement" for some of the replacements.

This bulb is advertised as the brightess:

http://www.flipflopled.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=94&product_id=492

Tom

len47merc    -- 08-06-2017 @ 11:16 AM
  56MarkII - have a read on the links below from our Forum. The dimmer switch is a quick check - get it out of the way following TomO's advice here and on the links below. After that, it has been proven to me time and time again - grounds - Grounds - GROUNDS. When faced with your dilemma I have removed EVERY exterior light and all associated components and freshened ALL connections - especially the grounds. When the exercises were complete the 6V pos ground headlights were every bit as bright as 12V alternatives. My wife would not drive at night in the '47 before the grounds were addressed - afterwards no concerns and oncoming traffic started flashing me when the brights were left on (were not doing so prior).

Additionally, replacing your current headlights with halogen or LEDs before ensuring all connections and grounds are rock solid sound and your current headlights are as bright as they possibly can be may lead to other issues down the line. Ensure your fundamentals are addressed here before taking any next steps.

Btw - prior to addressing the lights on my '47 ALL grounds from the body to the frame, frame to the engine, firewall to engine, etc., had been addressed and the headlights were still dim, one more than the other, and the tail lights also were inconsistent in brightness. Afterwards all were balanced and bright.

For me, after going through all my connections and grounds I've never found the need to change out the 6V bulbs - they are more than adequately bright.

Here are some good links - there are many others if you perform a search:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8888&keywords=dim%20headlights

and,

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9904&keywords=dim%20headlights

Good luck!

Steve

supereal    -- 08-07-2017 @ 2:09 PM
  I made up a relay panel that attached to the left front inner fender. It is operated by the stock circuitry. I have halogen headlights and without the relays, they were dimmer than the old sealed beams. Between the headlight and dimmer switches, and lots of bullet connectors, half of the power was lost. Now they are as bright as new.

mgeewhiz    -- 08-13-2017 @ 11:13 AM
  Thanks to everyone for the advice. I found a loose ground wire, and reconnecting it did not solve the problem. Next I tried pumping the dimmer switch about 60 times, and that solved the problem. I suspect that the contacts within the switch were the problem since the car's headlights had not been used in a long time. If the problem comes back, then I will replace the switch.

mgeewhiz    -- 08-13-2017 @ 11:17 AM
  Thanks to everyone for the advice. I found a loose ground wire, and reconnecting it did not solve the problem. Next I tried pumping the dimmer switch about 60 times, and that solved the problem. I suspect that the contacts within the switch were the problem since the car's headlights had not been used in a long time. If the problem comes back, then I will replace the switch.

51f1    -- 08-14-2017 @ 6:13 AM
  They do sell new dimmer switches.

Richard

sarahcecelia    -- 08-14-2017 @ 6:34 AM
  I got brighter tail/stop light bulbs (6 volt) for my 1950 Crestliner. I don't remember where got them, but the're out there. Do a google search for them. I'm sure I got them from one of the top suppliers, Mac's, Carpenter,etc.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 08-14-2017 @ 8:23 AM
  Bad dimmer switch, dirty connections, bad ground (dirty connection), bad headlight relay. (if there is one in the system) weak battery.That's about it.

Regards, Steve Lee

39Fordfan    -- 08-15-2017 @ 6:19 PM
  I live on the outskirts of a metro area so lots of patches of dark roads with lots of traffic. I did all of the above and never felt safe with 6 volt incandescent bulbs. If an SUV was following me, their bright modern headlights would blaze around me causing a shadow effect which was disconcerting and unsafe. My only solution was to stop gabbing at carshows early and get home before the sun went down.

I found some 6 Volt LEDS. Doesn't matter whether you have positive or negative ground. You can buy just the "Bulbs" and install them into your current reflectors, or you can buy them already fitted to the reflector. Or you can buy an entire assembly which is sealed and has turn signals. I think you can buy them for sealed beams too. The first two look very original under my glass lenses. I can't attest to the originality of the full assembly.

Once fitted and aligned these are brighter than my 20 year old 12 volt Honda headlights. If interested, I can look up where I got them.

tonys1950    -- 09-27-2017 @ 7:55 PM
  "Shoe Box central "make a simple to install wire and relay for $26.95 it powers the headlamps with direct battery power, put one in my 50 with halogen seal beams, there as good as any 12 v seal beams

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11054