LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / tail light bulb 1940

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: tail light bulb 1940

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
06-25-2017 @ 1:19 PM
Senior

I installed the Drake tail light kit in my '47. It has a very bright lamp for the stop light function. It fits the stock housing. I don't have a current Drake catalog, so I don't know if they still have them. It has been quite a while since I converted mine.

TomO
06-23-2017 @ 7:16 AM
Senior

To get the most out of your taillights, take an old flashlight reflector and drill out the center to fit the bulb. Sand off the edges so that it will fit in the housing. This gives you about a 50% improvement. Painting the housing with reflective paint only gives about 30% improvement.

I haven't seen a source for the 1170 bulb for a few years, the 1158 is available at the Pep Boys near me.

Tom

4dFordSC
06-22-2017 @ 8:26 PM

Sacramento Vintage Ford has the Super Brite 06142-6SB equivalent of the 1154. It's rated at 50/14 cp vs. the 1154's 21/3 cp. http://www.vintageford.com/sect_search.cfm?Line=V-8&Category=Lighting-%20Bulbs

thunder road
06-22-2017 @ 5:23 PM

Hey thank you Mr. Rodgers, I will have to wait to see how everything looks at night. I's nice to know that there is even another bulb that will be a bit brighter . I will write this number down in my notes. A guy with a 1931 roadster was at the cruise night two Saturday nights ago, and he had these two magnetic flashing red warning signal lights, that were about the size of a cigarette pack, and were battery powered bright L E D type . He said he got them from Harber Frieght . They were part of his emergency kit and seemed like a great idea. I'ts always dark when I leave the cruises, and you could seen these things flashing from a mile away, all without running your battery down. Dom

Domenic

Don Rogers
06-22-2017 @ 12:05 PM
Senior

ThunderRoad, 1940 tail lights used an 1158 3cp/21cp Bayonet dual contact bulb. In 1941 the bulb changed to an 1154 3cp/21cp indexed dual contact bulb. There is another bulb (1170) that can be used in place of the 1158 if you want a brighter running lamp. I has a dual element 6cp/21cp filament.

Don Rogers

thunder road
06-22-2017 @ 10:31 AM

Tom is right , I removed the other tail light bulb, and it is a 1158 both posts at the bottom . I am replacing the blue dot lenses that were on the car when i purchased it. There is so much stuff to learn. I was able to find NOS Duolamp Lenses, and Correct NOS Duolamp bezels. The bezels being reproduced have the letters Duolamp close together , and on the bottom portion of the left hand side of the bezel, and the letters are smaller. The NOS ones have the word Duolamp spaced across the mid section of the left side of the bezel . It would be great if someone wrote a book that showed all the differences between reproduction parts , and the originals. There is also a difference in the Duolamp reproduction lenses. Dom

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 6-22-17 @ 5:07 PM

carcrazy
06-22-2017 @ 9:51 AM
Senior

The correct bulb for your application is #1154 - this is a dual element 6 V bulb with offset mounting studs. The bulbs with both of the mounting studs at the very bottom are usually single element bulbs. What does the base of the socket look like? Does it have two electrical contacts or just one? If it has two and your socket has both mounting studs located at the bottom, you can use a #1154 bulb by filling off the higher of the two studs from the the bulb. If you do this, you will have to insert the bulb into the socket so the smaller of the two elements lights up when the tail lights are on and the larger element lights when the brakes or turn signals are on.

TomO
06-22-2017 @ 9:44 AM
Senior

That is an 1158 bulb.

Tom

thunder road
06-22-2017 @ 7:06 AM

Help! Dose anyone out there know what number bulb will work on my 1940 tail lights which are 6 volts? The bulb that's in their now looks just like an 1154 bulb except that both locking pins are at the very bottom. The bulb that's in their now measures 1 3/4 from top to bottom it's a double filament bulb and works the driving lights, the brake lights, and also added turn singles. The only visual difference between this bulb and an 1157 bulb is that the 1157 bulb is 12 volts. The excising bulb says GE- 21 & 30 or poss. 36 thanks Dom

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 6-22-17 @ 7:17 AM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org