Topic: tail light bulb 1940

thunder road    -- 06-22-2017 @ 7:06 AM
  Help! Dose anyone out there know what number bulb will work on my 1940 tail lights which are 6 volts? The bulb that's in their now looks just like an 1154 bulb except that both locking pins are at the very bottom. The bulb that's in their now measures 1 3/4 from top to bottom it's a double filament bulb and works the driving lights, the brake lights, and also added turn singles. The only visual difference between this bulb and an 1157 bulb is that the 1157 bulb is 12 volts. The excising bulb says GE- 21 & 30 or poss. 36 thanks Dom

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 6-22-17 @ 7:17 AM

TomO    -- 06-22-2017 @ 9:44 AM
  That is an 1158 bulb.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 06-22-2017 @ 9:51 AM
  The correct bulb for your application is #1154 - this is a dual element 6 V bulb with offset mounting studs. The bulbs with both of the mounting studs at the very bottom are usually single element bulbs. What does the base of the socket look like? Does it have two electrical contacts or just one? If it has two and your socket has both mounting studs located at the bottom, you can use a #1154 bulb by filling off the higher of the two studs from the the bulb. If you do this, you will have to insert the bulb into the socket so the smaller of the two elements lights up when the tail lights are on and the larger element lights when the brakes or turn signals are on.

thunder road    -- 06-22-2017 @ 10:31 AM
  Tom is right , I removed the other tail light bulb, and it is a 1158 both posts at the bottom . I am replacing the blue dot lenses that were on the car when i purchased it. There is so much stuff to learn. I was able to find NOS Duolamp Lenses, and Correct NOS Duolamp bezels. The bezels being reproduced have the letters Duolamp close together , and on the bottom portion of the left hand side of the bezel, and the letters are smaller. The NOS ones have the word Duolamp spaced across the mid section of the left side of the bezel . It would be great if someone wrote a book that showed all the differences between reproduction parts , and the originals. There is also a difference in the Duolamp reproduction lenses. Dom

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 6-22-17 @ 5:07 PM

Don Rogers    -- 06-22-2017 @ 12:05 PM
  ThunderRoad, 1940 tail lights used an 1158 3cp/21cp Bayonet dual contact bulb. In 1941 the bulb changed to an 1154 3cp/21cp indexed dual contact bulb. There is another bulb (1170) that can be used in place of the 1158 if you want a brighter running lamp. I has a dual element 6cp/21cp filament.

Don Rogers

thunder road    -- 06-22-2017 @ 5:23 PM
  Hey thank you Mr. Rodgers, I will have to wait to see how everything looks at night. I's nice to know that there is even another bulb that will be a bit brighter . I will write this number down in my notes. A guy with a 1931 roadster was at the cruise night two Saturday nights ago, and he had these two magnetic flashing red warning signal lights, that were about the size of a cigarette pack, and were battery powered bright L E D type . He said he got them from Harber Frieght . They were part of his emergency kit and seemed like a great idea. I'ts always dark when I leave the cruises, and you could seen these things flashing from a mile away, all without running your battery down. Dom

Domenic

4dFordSC    -- 06-22-2017 @ 8:26 PM
  Sacramento Vintage Ford has the Super Brite 06142-6SB equivalent of the 1154. It's rated at 50/14 cp vs. the 1154's 21/3 cp. http://www.vintageford.com/sect_search.cfm?Line=V-8&Category=Lighting-%20Bulbs

TomO    -- 06-23-2017 @ 7:16 AM
  To get the most out of your taillights, take an old flashlight reflector and drill out the center to fit the bulb. Sand off the edges so that it will fit in the housing. This gives you about a 50% improvement. Painting the housing with reflective paint only gives about 30% improvement.

I haven't seen a source for the 1170 bulb for a few years, the 1158 is available at the Pep Boys near me.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-25-2017 @ 1:19 PM
  I installed the Drake tail light kit in my '47. It has a very bright lamp for the stop light function. It fits the stock housing. I don't have a current Drake catalog, so I don't know if they still have them. It has been quite a while since I converted mine.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10886