LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / gas tank noise

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: gas tank noise -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

46coupe
04-05-2017 @ 5:47 PM

We finally went for a short drive yesterday. It was great. Still doing test runs checking out the mechanicals. When we got home and got out of the car, I heard what sounded like metal sliding side to side in the gas tank. The tank is new and was installed by the previous owner. I've had no noises prior to this from the tank. I'm going to pull the sending unit tomorrow and see if I can find anything. Any ideas what it might be?
46 coupe

46coupe
04-06-2017 @ 9:39 AM

I inspected the inside of the tank through the sending unit hole--- not much help. Do these replacement tanks have baffles or some other object inside that could have come loose? If nothing else I can drain the tank, remove it and have it cut apart to find out what happened inside, which I am trying to avoid. Any help or comments are appreciated.

supereal
04-06-2017 @ 11:46 AM
Senior

Be sure that the noise is actually from the gas tank before you go to the considerable trouble of taking it down. There are baffles in the tank, but they are usually well secured. It is possible that the float arm of the sender is rubbing on a baffle. With repro senders it is often necessary to reorient the sender in the tank to clear any obstructions and/or bend the float arm. The float arm moves around as the gas sloshes, even though the gauge does not. We have had to modify the float arm to make it fit some tanks.

46coupe
04-06-2017 @ 12:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sending unit has been in for a year with no problem. This noise sounds like metal sliding on metal. I can rock the car and make it make that noise. It's irritating more than anything and it just started.

46coupe
04-06-2017 @ 4:06 PM

I took the sending unit out, rocked the car, and the noise is still there. Sounds like metal sliding on metal. Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.

stanwalker
04-06-2017 @ 5:36 PM

How about sending a long flexible magnetic pick up stick in through the sending unit hole and see what you can pick up?

Drbrown
04-06-2017 @ 9:23 PM
Senior

I assume its a steel (plain or stainless) tank. .... a vinyl type tank would not make that kind of sound.

Your description makes it sound like a baffle plate came loose, or reaching for ideas, someone left a piece of sheet metal or some kind of metal object inside the tank when it was fabricated (first time for everything) and it recently came loose. Something may have dropped thru the fill pipe or sender hole at one time ? i.e. a tool.

stanwalker's idea re a magnet good. I typically resort to a cut and folded-out clothes hanger to fish around in dark places .... has save me a bunch of times. If your fill pipe is removable, try removing it and fishing from there, before removing the tank

This message was edited by Drbrown on 4-6-17 @ 9:26 PM

46coupe
04-07-2017 @ 6:33 AM

Yes it does sound like a piece of sheet metal sliding around. I'll do some fishing but if I can't retrieve it I thought I would attach a magnet to the outside of the tank and keep the piece "trapped" until I can get the tank removed.
I'll check to see if the filler pipe can be removed also. Thanks to both of you for the ideas.

CaliforniaBorn36
04-07-2017 @ 1:41 PM

If you can get it to stick to a magnet, maybe you could use that to slide it to where you can see what it is. Or, if the magnet holds it. maybe that is your final answer, just leave the magnet attached. Sure beats tearing apart and cutting.

46coupe
04-07-2017 @ 5:39 PM

I thought of that too. Hopefully I can find a good magnet. Will explore the possibilities later next week.
Thanks for the help.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org