Topic: gas tank noise

46coupe    -- 04-05-2017 @ 5:47 PM
  We finally went for a short drive yesterday. It was great. Still doing test runs checking out the mechanicals. When we got home and got out of the car, I heard what sounded like metal sliding side to side in the gas tank. The tank is new and was installed by the previous owner. I've had no noises prior to this from the tank. I'm going to pull the sending unit tomorrow and see if I can find anything. Any ideas what it might be?
46 coupe

46coupe    -- 04-06-2017 @ 9:39 AM
  I inspected the inside of the tank through the sending unit hole--- not much help. Do these replacement tanks have baffles or some other object inside that could have come loose? If nothing else I can drain the tank, remove it and have it cut apart to find out what happened inside, which I am trying to avoid. Any help or comments are appreciated.

supereal    -- 04-06-2017 @ 11:46 AM
  Be sure that the noise is actually from the gas tank before you go to the considerable trouble of taking it down. There are baffles in the tank, but they are usually well secured. It is possible that the float arm of the sender is rubbing on a baffle. With repro senders it is often necessary to reorient the sender in the tank to clear any obstructions and/or bend the float arm. The float arm moves around as the gas sloshes, even though the gauge does not. We have had to modify the float arm to make it fit some tanks.

46coupe    -- 04-06-2017 @ 12:30 PM
  Thanks for the reply. Sending unit has been in for a year with no problem. This noise sounds like metal sliding on metal. I can rock the car and make it make that noise. It's irritating more than anything and it just started.

46coupe    -- 04-06-2017 @ 4:06 PM
  I took the sending unit out, rocked the car, and the noise is still there. Sounds like metal sliding on metal. Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.

stanwalker    -- 04-06-2017 @ 5:36 PM
  How about sending a long flexible magnetic pick up stick in through the sending unit hole and see what you can pick up?

Drbrown    -- 04-06-2017 @ 9:23 PM
  I assume its a steel (plain or stainless) tank. .... a vinyl type tank would not make that kind of sound.

Your description makes it sound like a baffle plate came loose, or reaching for ideas, someone left a piece of sheet metal or some kind of metal object inside the tank when it was fabricated (first time for everything) and it recently came loose. Something may have dropped thru the fill pipe or sender hole at one time ? i.e. a tool.

stanwalker's idea re a magnet good. I typically resort to a cut and folded-out clothes hanger to fish around in dark places .... has save me a bunch of times. If your fill pipe is removable, try removing it and fishing from there, before removing the tank

This message was edited by Drbrown on 4-6-17 @ 9:26 PM

46coupe    -- 04-07-2017 @ 6:33 AM
  Yes it does sound like a piece of sheet metal sliding around. I'll do some fishing but if I can't retrieve it I thought I would attach a magnet to the outside of the tank and keep the piece "trapped" until I can get the tank removed.
I'll check to see if the filler pipe can be removed also. Thanks to both of you for the ideas.

CaliforniaBorn36    -- 04-07-2017 @ 1:41 PM
  If you can get it to stick to a magnet, maybe you could use that to slide it to where you can see what it is. Or, if the magnet holds it. maybe that is your final answer, just leave the magnet attached. Sure beats tearing apart and cutting.

46coupe    -- 04-07-2017 @ 5:39 PM
  I thought of that too. Hopefully I can find a good magnet. Will explore the possibilities later next week.
Thanks for the help.

Drbrown    -- 04-07-2017 @ 7:55 PM
  Hobby and toy stores often have different shaped/sized magnets.

46coupe    -- 04-19-2017 @ 3:04 PM
  Returned home Sunday and finally had a chance to experiment with a magnet I bought yesterday. I slid that magnet all over the bottom of the tank and could not get a definite hold on the object. It's almost like the thing is floating in the center of the gas, or it is not totally free of what it broke from. If that makes any since. I think I have finally trapped it, at least it is not making the same noise, less sliding. I'll keep fooling with it, and also buy a magnet that will get through the sending unit hole. No telling what I might find.

Drbrown    -- 04-19-2017 @ 9:32 PM
  Floating ?? Could it be the float part of a former sending unit arm, perhaps even with the wire arm attached and scratch against the tank body ?

woodiewagon46    -- 04-20-2017 @ 7:42 AM
  Don't leave us hanging, open the sending unit hole and tell us what it was. The suspension is killing me!

46coupe    -- 04-21-2017 @ 6:00 AM
  Thought I had it "trapped" but when I checked yesterday it wasn't. Soon as I have some time I plan on getting a magnet that will fit in the unit hole with a stiffer longer wire and hopefully I can find out what this is. IF it is not attracted to the magnet I guess I will try some net device to at least drag it over to the unit hole so I will know what it is and if I can extract it.

TomO    -- 04-21-2017 @ 6:54 AM
  If you have a Harbor Freight near you, the sell a strong magnet that is on the end of an extendable rod, similar to a car antenna. You may also find one at a hardware store or auto parts store. Walmart also sells one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnetic-Pick-Up-Tool/187057156?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=9370&adid=22222222227040715899&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=100230696514&wl4=pla-237040057954&wl5=9021467&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115794212&wl11=online&wl12=187057156&wl13=&veh=sem

Tom

trjford8    -- 04-21-2017 @ 7:16 AM
  Good suggestion by TomO. I have one of the Harbor Freight magnets and they will pick up a large wrench.

46coupe    -- 04-22-2017 @ 9:14 AM
  Hello all,
The update--------- I FOUND IT!!!! First of all thanks to all of you for your input and ideas. I bought a smaller magnet, found a coat hanger, hooked them together and went fishing this morning. Could have saved my money on the magnets. But I have found out Harbor Freight has something that will work also. Someone suggested it might be an old float which is exactly what it was. Couldn't see squat through the sending unit hole with any kind of a light, so I kept pushing the magnet around the gas tank. Remembering that the piece might not be steel, I also fashioned a hook by the magnet. The hook caught the float and I got it out a few minutes ago. The brass rod sliding along the bottom of the tank is what made this so challenging.
So now I can drive the car without that irritating noise. Thanks again for the help
Brad

JT Ford    -- 04-22-2017 @ 2:37 PM
  I don't know about the rest of you fellows but I'm going sleep much better tonight! It shows to go you, what a bunch of flatheaders can figure out!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10655