LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 53 8BA Flathead

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 53 8BA Flathead

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
03-26-2017 @ 7:52 AM
Senior

Gadachy23,

I have a bad history of setting prices. No matter what I price I put on something, everybody says it too high, yet when I go to buy something, I have to pay those same too high prices. So I can't say if your asking price will attract interest.

I had a very nice 50,000 mile 65 Cutlass convertible that was all original, including the top. I was asking $16,000 and kept getting offers around $5,000 and one for $1,500. I finally gave up and consigned the car to an antique dealer, who advertised it for $24,000 and sold it within 60 days.

Tom

Stroker
03-24-2017 @ 11:41 AM
Senior

As a former Bonneville and El Mirage racer, I believe that you had a "great mentor" in Bob.

I also believe the way the motor is advertised will give it a "good home". Vellios Machine Shop is highly-regarded.

As for the "spec's" it sounds like a wonderful piece of hardware. I'd suggest also advertising it in one of the SCTA(Southern California Timing Association) club newsletters. Such as the Rod Riders Racing Team or San Diego Roadster Club newsletter, as these clubs have quite a number of Flathead racers as members, including Don Ferguson, who is also currently manufacturing new ARDUN hemi heads for 39-53 motors.

Here's a "link" to the Rod Riders Secretary. Ron Kisinger <rkisinger@kisinger-cpas.com>

This message was edited by Stroker on 3-24-17 @ 11:45 AM

Gadachy23
03-24-2017 @ 10:38 AM

Thanks for the reply Tom!

When I initially posted the ad on this site and on craigslist, I had a price of $4500 on it. After the ad posting expired on the EFV8Club site, I didn't post it again. Based on the description of the build and your history on this forum, do you think that price will attract attention?

TomO
03-24-2017 @ 7:08 AM
Senior

Your ad does not mention asking price. If you are asking $10,000 for the engine, you will have few people interested in it. You may have a lot of money invested in the engine, but do not expect to get all of it back on a quick sale.

Tom

Gadachy23
03-23-2017 @ 12:10 PM

Thank you to all that replied! All of this information is useful.

In reference to the engine, I was mentored by a close friend (Bob) in Redondo Beach that has been running and building flathead motors for 30 plus years. He even powers a land speed car off of a built up flathead that he and his wife run at El Mirage. He taught me how to completely tear down a flathead (step-by-step) and then how to build this one back up. We built the engine together over the course of 5 months in his shop. He supplied most of parts for the build. His only condition to the build is that I, someday, pass along the knowledge.

He had a good block, with no cracks, that I bought from him. The block went to Velios Machine Shop in Redondo Beach for all the machine work and the engine was balanced as well. It was bored .030 over. When we got the block and the other components back, we polished it inside, chased all the threads and smoothed out the rough edges on the block. I ordered new pistons and rings from Egge in Long Beach. We used a stock Ford crank, stock cam and Ford rods. We also utilized adjustable lifters. With his guidance, I built the pistons and rods. We also built new intake and exhaust valve packs utilizing new valves and springs that we pressure tested before using. After we mounted it to a block stand and cleaned it all up, I did all the prep and we painted the block and oil pan red.

I ordered the new parts for the engine from Speedway. Bob had everything else. We put all new bearings in the engine, used new bearing caps and ARP main bolts to tighten it all up. Speedway also supplied the new oil pump and all the new seals and gaskets and other parts as well. Everything was properly lubed, gapped and torqued to spec.

My 51 Shoebox was going to be a cruiser so that is why Bob suggested the aftermarket ignition. He also had the Edlebrock Super in his collection of manifolds and we rebuilt the 94’s on top of it. That is why I used that for the top end. I could not afford finned aluminum heads for my project so he also supplied a set of stock heads that I cleaned up and clear coated.

After the engine was built, we hooked it all up and fired it for the first time. It ran like a champ! I have a good amount of cash in that motor so I know exactly what it’s worth. I also documented the entire build with pictures and videos. That is why I hope to sell it for a fair price.

Here is the ad I ran. Maybe you all can give me your thoughts…

"Newly rebuilt and tested 1953 Ford Flathead V8 engine, 8BA block bored .30 over. All machine work and balancing was done at Vellio's Machine Shop in Redondo Beach. Stock Ford crank and cam. New Egge Piston heads and rings. Ford connecting rods. Stock Ford 24 bolt heads, clear coated. Edlebrock Super intake manifold with dual 94's. Water Pumps are for mock-up purpose only, it will need new water pumps. Comes with a ProComp HEI and additional parts (ignition coil, original Ford starter, bell housing, starter plate, acorn head bolt covers). I ran and tested the engine on a stand and it runs perfect."

Thanks for taking the time to read the quick bio on the flathead. Let me know what you all think.

- Michael

This message was edited by Gadachy23 on 3-23-17 @ 12:50 PM

supereal
03-23-2017 @ 10:56 AM
Senior

If you don't have documentation regarding the name and contact info for the place that did the "fresh rebuild", it will be a "red flag" for prospective buyers if they know the ropes. This is extremely important if the engine is out of the car and can't be started or run. This is likely why you haven't had much luck attracting interest.

This message was edited by supereal on 3-23-17 @ 10:57 AM

flathead4rd
03-23-2017 @ 7:57 AM

Post it on flatheadsrus.com or shoebox-central.com also the fordbarn.com Probably will get more hits with those web sites.

TomO
03-23-2017 @ 7:24 AM
Senior

In addition to Stroker's good advice, price is very important. Removing the intake and dual ignition will let you lower your price int the range that will attract attention.

Tom

Stroker
03-22-2017 @ 5:03 PM
Senior

1. This from an "old hotrodder"...The Edlelbrock "Super" 180-degree competition intake manifold should be taken-off
and offered separately, as it has "no-business" on a motor being offered for sale to a restorer.

2. Likewise with the aftermarket dual-coil ignition.

3. The "fresh-built" description doesn't tell anyone much. Is it "stock"? Is it "modified", if so, how?

4. IF you "know" what's in the motor, you need to share with potential buyers. If you don't, then offering
an "unknown" with a nice intake and aftermarket ignition just "raises questions".

This motor will "sell" if you simply describe what it "is". Our site is as good as any, but only for those who
are looking to replace a "stock engine" with a better stock engine.

Craig's list is OK if you want someone nearby to simply "take it off your hands". Consider eBay motors, or Hemmings for better coverage.

Gadachy23
03-22-2017 @ 4:38 PM

Hi everybody! Question from young hotrodder - I was working on beautiful 1951 2 door Club Coupe project and unfortunately, the car had to go but the complete, fresh built flathead is still in my garage. I need to sell it and it seems craigslist and the classifieds on this website don't get me any action. Any thoughts on the best way to advertise this beauty? Thanks in advance!

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org