LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Dot 3 to Dot 5

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Dot 3 to Dot 5 -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

len47merc
01-20-2017 @ 7:55 AM
Senior

Thanks for posting this Tom. Like others on EFV8 I gravitate toward the most objective, data-based processes and products and the science and technology here, at first blush for me, appears reasonable and sound. If one wishes to maximize fluid value and time investment this appears to be a very good solution.

Looking at the product description in more detail on their website they also have strips for coolant system corrosion as well.

Very interesting. Thanks again -

Steve

TomO
01-20-2017 @ 7:33 AM
Senior

There are test strips to test when corrosion is present in DOT 3, 4, 5.1 glycol based brake fluids. The test have only been done on modern brake systems with ABS, but should work as well in the old cars. The main drawback is that the strips cost (about $5.50 each) more than the brake fluid. There could be savings if you intend to pay a professional to change your fluid, strictly on a time basis of every couple of years.

Here is a link to a report on the basis for the strips. The report was paid for by the manufacturer of the strips.

http://www.gwrauto.com/stripdip.htm

Tom

len47merc
01-20-2017 @ 6:30 AM
Senior

You're welcome Drbrown and thanks for the reply. One other point I forgot to mention earlier, made by the engineer at the DOT 5 manufacturer, was that the US military strongly prefers to use DOT 5 in all non-ABS applications given DOT 5 '...never needs changing...' (his words) assuming the brake system is a sealed system, no contaminants are ever allowed to enter the system and the components are all properly engineered to be fully compatible with DOT 5. He reiterated that DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 should, in his humble, technical opinion, '...never need changing in classic cars-driven-less than 3,000 miles/yr...' applications excepting for, as mentioned previously, peace-of-mind and/or the most extreme of humid conditions.

The 'peace-of-mind' issue, coupled with my the experience with my '61 (albeit with it 2 decades+, irregular 60K+ miles use use without changing) will probably drive me to change the DOT 3 currently in my '47 (~8,000 miles in ~3.5 years on it since full system restoration) in another year or two during a particularly dry/low humidity winter period. With the knowledge gleaned over the last week, the urgency to change it during this winter's partial storage, based on the 2-3 year change-frequency 'paradigm', has abated.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-20-17 @ 6:46 AM

Drbrown
01-19-2017 @ 7:57 PM
Senior

len47merc .... Regardless of what comes out of this thread, I personally thank you for spending the time to investigate the questions raised here. I could have undertaken the same effort but did not.

I continue to use DOT 3 in my '47 and so far have not had problems or leakage. If and when it comes to a point where significant parts the entire system need replacement, I would then consider the DOT 5 move.

len47merc
01-18-2017 @ 6:11 PM
Senior

I hear you 40cpe and if I ever rework this '47's system in its entirety, or do the same on the next project, I'll be right there with you. My comments earlier were not only in support of your reply but also challenging of the paradigms concerning change frequency. I have flushed my Infiniti, Hondas, etc., per the maintenance schedule (always wondered if it was necessary) but have never touched the '90 Burb and it keeps on chuggin'. Conversely, had to completely rework an actively driven '61 Impala SS brake system in the 80's likely because the fluid had never been flushed/changed. Probably not smart on the Burb but it is what it is. I'm 3+ years into the '47 Merc's new brake system and had to do a deep dive on this subject after Drbrown's last question to educate myself on what I should do.

Appreciate everyone weighing in. Learned a lot here - thanks to all!

Steve

40cpe
01-18-2017 @ 4:51 PM

Steve, in the early '80s I bought a '57 Ranchero. With working and family responsibilities I would go months or a couple of years sometimes without moving the car. EVERY time after one of these stints I would have a leaking wheel cylinder with DOT 3. I finally had enough and changed all the wheel cylinders, flushed the master and lines, and installed DOT 5. I never had another leak even with the same infrequent use. That is the reason I put DOT 5 in my '40 when I built it.

len47merc
01-18-2017 @ 1:25 PM
Senior

Drbrown asks a good question. My post was predicated on the assumption I would not 'have' to worry about purging/replacing Dot 5 in my lifetime or remaining ownership of this vehicle, this to better protect the original floormat and brake system componentry as well. This assumption was based on representations made here and elsewhere about the non-hygroscopic nature of Dot 5. Drbrown's question got me to thinking whether Dot 5's service life was in reality any greater or not than Dot 3. Perhaps another attribute of Dot 5 (versus Dot 3's hygroscopic nature) begins to degrade at the same rate as Dot 3.

(And given my driving behavior of this car statistically never heats the brakes to the point of perhaps boiling the 3%-5% max water absorbed into the DOT 3, why even worry about it - but those are other issues)

So, after a short Dr.'s appt this am I stopped by both CarQuest and NAPA, and in addition to picking up some needed supplies for my modern vehicles, obtained the name-brand manufacturers of DOT 5 and DOT 3 brake fluids. From there I came home and called technical support for two manufacturers and obtained the following key information:

1) It is impossible to purge a brake system of all DOT 3 or 4 fluids and accordingly neither endorsed a conversion to DOT 5 for this reason. DOT 5 was only recommended for all new brake system componentry
2) For classic cars driven less than 3,000 miles/year, driven as most classic cars are, from quite genuine, pragmatic, logical and supportive perspectives both suppliers indicated synthetic DOT 3 likely should never have to be changed except in the most extreme of humid conditions (e.g., Mississippi Delta, Florida Keys, etc.) and even then they both questioned the value in doing such. They both indicated their desire to sell more fluid but practically speaking both indicated the 'need' for purging DOT 3 systems every 2-3 years is more marketing driven than anything. For personal peace of mind it is your choice if you wish to go down this road
3) For all new classic car brake systems DOT 5 can provide longer-term corrosion resistance but the RECOMMENDED change intervals do not vary much, if at all, from DOT 3.

In the end, from both manufacturer's technical support Teams, if you are installing a completely new system - master, switch, lines, wheel cylinders, etc., then DOT 5 is the way to go for total peace of mind in a classic car such as our EFV8's (but you will likely have a softer pedal due to soluble oxygen). Beyond that, if you are driving these originals like most of us do, DOT 3 or 4 will do just fine and, unless you so wish to, should never need purging in your ownership of the car unless you wish to do so for peace of mind. According to these guys, by the time any corrosion of adequate significance to affect performance has time to occur in a DOT 3, max 3,000 mile/yr driver system you'll likely be of the mindset for an overhaul anyway.

And in support of 40cpe and deluxe40 (albeit DOT 3 specific here), to this date I am still driving an original '90 Suburban - that's a 27 year old vehicle with over 210K miles all here in central NC - with DOT 3, that I've yet to have the need to change the master, calipers and/or wheel cylinders on, that also has never had the DOT 3 changed. Hmmm...

FWIW -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-18-17 @ 1:54 PM

deluxe40
01-18-2017 @ 10:30 AM

I put Dot 5 in my phaeton ('32 w/ new '40 brakes) in 1998. Had to replace one brass washer to get a hose to stop leaking at first. Since then I have been driving the car at least once a month with no problems. I also inherited a Model A with '40 brakes and Dot 5 fluid. It had been sitting for eight years after the brakes were rebuilt and I drove it for eight more years after that without problems.

40cpe
01-18-2017 @ 6:36 AM

Drbrown asked about the "effective" life of Dot5 fluid. In the early '90s I put it in a car I built. I sold the car a year ago with the same fluid, master and wheel cylinders. I live in the humid deep south and this car was driven year round and stored in an unheated garage.

Drbrown
01-17-2017 @ 6:50 PM
Senior

So that begs the question - Looking past the recommendations or requirements of cost-motivated car and fluid manufacturers, what is the effective life of DOT 5 fluid ? Unless there's responsible data, one has to make his own decision. I may have missed it but I don't remember seeing any solid forum discussion about it.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 1-17-17 @ 6:51 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org