LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / New member and troubleshooting

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: New member and troubleshooting -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Rustedjunk
10-29-2016 @ 1:27 PM

Hi I'm Noel a new member with a 47 Ford Super Deluxe Tudor sedan, member #917609. I'm trying to figure out the thing that is making my 47 Ford (59AB) not run right.

The previous owner set my car up a 12V battery running the starter, lights, and aftermarket gauges only. The generator was disconnected by him. The exhaust was cut off by him right under the removable floor pan. My ignition I think is still a 6V system. A regular style ignition coil. I've had the distributor rebuilt. It was later tested by a great guy who's with the Early V8 Ford Club. My plug wires are new, and I am running Motorcraft AL7C / SP473 spark plugs. I have the two horned 46 - 48 distributor which was a pain to put together (would rather have the 42 crab style). I recently put on a different Holley 94 carb because mine was bad. Stripped screws and all. My vacuum with the replacement is now running at 17 and is also connected to the wipers again. With the replacement carb the car idles beautifully. My problem is when I drive it or if I floor the accelerator the engine wants to kill. I have to press the pedal lightly to drive it. When I got the car I could floor it and there was no problems, but it was running with bad 87 gas, the intake vacuum port was freely open, bad plugs and wires, and leaky carb. I am trying to see what I overlooked or am missing. I just wanna drive it to the storage spot before winter. Does anyone know what I should be looking for or what I should do?

cliftford
10-29-2016 @ 2:01 PM
Senior

Given that info. my first is that the accelerator pump is not functioning. With engine stopped.pull the air cleaner , look down the carb throat, pump the foot linkage and see if you see gas squirting into the manifold. if not , look for problems with the acell. pump plunger or a plugged port, and make sure the link on the outside of carb is functioning. you might try adjusting it to a longer stroke

ford38v8
10-29-2016 @ 2:37 PM
Senior

Noel, Welcome to the Forum! Clift has good advice. While the air cleaner is off, you might see if it acts the same. (You might have too much air restriction.) Other things you describe may need attention also, but do one thing at a time only, or you'll never know what change does or doesn't work.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 10-29-16 @ 2:38 PM

ford38v8
10-29-2016 @ 2:49 PM
Senior

Noel, from your thread in the Fordbarn, I see you want a new carburetor. You've had the same result from both carbs now, so that pretty much eliminates the carb from the equation. (Besides, a new carb would be prohibitively expensive.) In rethinking your problem, I would say that your fuel pump can't keep up with your needs. This may be from corn fuel damaged pump valves, or corn fuel damaged flex line. You may also be sucking air, which will cut back on fuel delivery. A clogged fuel line or fuel filter can produce the same symptoms also. These are very common issues, to be checked out before spending big bucks on a new carburetor.

Alan

Rustedjunk
10-29-2016 @ 3:20 PM

Thank you for the welcomes. I use only 93 non-oxy fuel. I had the tank remand, all new fuel line from the tank to the fire wall and from pump to carb, and a brand new fuel pump put in.

ken ct.
10-29-2016 @ 4:00 PM
Senior

Your problem could be the quote "new fuel pump" Most if not all NEW pumps are made in China , they have the worst rubber compounds on the planet. That includes the diaphrams and valves in the pumps. You also don't need 93 octane gas. Buy a rebuilt one done here in the USA and you wont need 93 oct. gas. There are some good rebuilders on here and the ford barn who build a quality pump . ken ct.

Rustedjunk
10-29-2016 @ 4:28 PM

I rebuilt my AC Delco fuel pump and it wasn't pumping. I thought I put it together correctly. As soon as the new one was installed, it fired up after a few tries. The 93 is the only non-oxy fuel we have in Minnesota. The rest is all corn fuel.

TomO
10-30-2016 @ 9:37 AM
Senior

I don't go to the Ford Barn very often, so I don't know if you checked your spark. You said in your post here that you think that you have a 6 volt coil, a 12 volt coil would give you a weak spark.

If your spark is OK, start the car and run it at idle for a few minutes, then shut it off and remove the top of the carburetor and check the fuel level. It should be just below the hole going to the accelerator pump reservoir. If it is lower, check the float level adjustment. If it is OK check for fuel delivery to the carburetor.

To check fuel delivery, you need a graduated 16 ounce or larger container to determine the amount of fuel delivered in a measured time. Disconnect the fuel pump line from the carburetor and direct it into a graduated container. Crank the engine long enough to get 2 ounces of gas in the container and then continue cranking for 15 more strokes of the pump. The pump should have delivered 6 more ounces of gas.

Insufficient fuel delivery can be caused by a vacuum leak, plugged flex line, worn pivot in the pump arm, stretched diaphragm, plugged fuel line or tank pickup, plugged tank vent or wrong gas cap or a worn push rod. The push rod should be 8 7/8" long for the cast iron manifolds and 7 7/8" for the aluminum manifolds. It travel is about 3/8".

Tom

Rustedjunk
10-30-2016 @ 2:39 PM

I took off the top of the carburetor and the float moves freely. The fuel was just below the the hole.

pauls39coupe
10-30-2016 @ 4:17 PM

I agree with Cliff and Tom O that the problem is likely in the accelerator pump circuit or fuel level. Looking down the carb, do you see two good streams of fuel when you work the accelerator linkage? Were either of the Carbs rebuilt, or are they both just old units? It is possible that the power valve is leaking, dumping too much fuel , but that would be a long shot.
You mention the vacuum being 17 inches which is on the low side of normal, you may have the timing slightly retarded. The other possibility is that you have some plug wires going to the wrong plug. If the engine is running on 5 or 6 cylinders with two operating against each other, power will be way down It is easy to mix them up with that 46-48 style cap. I'll grant you the crab style cap is easier to wire correctly.
Check the carb, and recheck your plug wires.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org