LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / Looking for info on 1939 farm truck

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Looking for info on 1939 farm truck -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

1952HENRY
01-24-2014 @ 6:58 PM

The wheel Alan is describing is not a widowmaker. A wm is a two piece rim (aka split rim) which "locks" together between the beads, near the center section. He is describing a split ring (sometimes a continuous ring). Provided the rim and ring are in good shape, ANY tire shop will work on them. There are millions of these rims still out on the road. I believe a '38 Regular would have the split ring.

This message was edited by 1952HENRY on 1-25-14 @ 3:11 AM

rotorwrench
12-30-2013 @ 4:21 PM

Being from southwest Kansas myself, I'm remembering how many blocks were cracked during the harsh winters that can blow down from the north. Flat country with few trees doesn't afford much natural protection. Take a good look in the cooling system & see how much and what type of coolant is still in there. If you have a good green color of anti-freeze or a completely drained block then there is a good chance that the old motor is still crack free. The 59A is normally 239 cubic inch and rated at 100-HP so it was a natural replacement for the earlier 221 blocks. There were 221 replacement blocks manufactured in the 59A era too (41A) and they also carry the 59A cast marks so it could be either way. These old blocks are getting more valuable so it could be good trading material for a modernization or a good engine for keeping more original.

Stroker
12-28-2013 @ 4:46 PM
Senior

Shad: You've been given some really good advice, and thanks to your great photo's us old folk can evaluate to a degree what you have lurking under that vintage hood. To me, it appears that your 39 has had a typical upgrade, wherein the motor was swapped-out for a "state of the art" 59A probably sometime in the late 40's. They used contemporary dual-belt truck front accessory drive goodies, oil bath air cleaner, etc. If it was me, I'd keep all the under hood contents in one place, as while none of us can attest to the internal condition of the motor, it appears that no one has been "scr*w*ng" with it since it was parked. Some of that stuff is hard to find, and not available as repop items.

ford38v8
12-28-2013 @ 10:51 AM
Senior

No special tools, just common sense and a cherry picker.
With the end goal in mind, you'd do well by leaving the engine alone and carefully remove the radiator and sheet metal first.

Alan

trjford8
12-28-2013 @ 7:51 AM
Senior

Just a word of caution. If you pull the motor do not put it on a standard type engine stand. There is a big potential to possibly break the cast bellhousing on the engine which renders the motor useless.

shad9876
12-28-2013 @ 7:36 AM

Thanks for all the info guys! Good news on the A-59! I'll check on the wheel design.

I'm going to be in Kansas this week spending some time with my grandpa and plan to pull the engine. I've pulled a few Chevy engines but the only Ford engine I've pulled is a 2003 6.0 diesel.

Any special tools (or advice) required to pull a flathead?

If you can't shoot it, paint it or rebuild it, you probably won't be interested in it.
-My wife

supereal
12-26-2013 @ 9:03 PM
Senior

I agree with Alan's advice. Our shop has built car haulers and other truck based vehicles using old cabs and front clips. For a car hauler, your best bet is probably a "tonner" chassis with dual rear wheels. These are work trucks, and most large salvage yards have some. Our latest conversion project was installing a 305 V8, complete with automatic, in a Ford Econoline pickup. Time permitting, I'll post some photos. Any projects of this type require attention to the brakes and suspension systems to be road worthy and safe.

ford38v8
12-26-2013 @ 7:10 PM
Senior

Shad, it appears that your engine is not original to your truck. It is a 59-AB, which was post war, and is considered the most desirable of the Ford Flatheads. Make sure it finds a good home.

The Widowmaker wheel rim, as the nickname implies, is dangerous to work on by inexperienced or daydreaming tire shop workers. Having a removable ring at the edge, the ring must be perfectly centered or it can fly off at a killer speed when the tire is inflated. I'm not familiar with the years these wee used, but you can look at your rims to see if they have that removeable ring at the tire bead.

Alan

shad9876
12-26-2013 @ 6:21 PM

Thanks for the info and advice!!

Wow, I didn't realize this particular engine would only produce 85-90hp. That would be pretty anemic for hauling its own weight let alone the weight of another car.

I have completed a resto-mod on a '56 Chevy sedan using C4 vette suspension and an LS1 and it sounds like this project would be best suited to go in a similar direction. From your experiences are there particular late model truck chassis that fit better than others under these types of trucks.

Also, could you elaborate on the "widowmaker type" wheels?

I haven't had a chance to check out the engine yet but was told it was driven to its current resting place. I'm hopeful since it is in a dry environment (SW KS) and the engine is complete and intact (no open spark plug holes or exposed carb, etc...). Are there certain flathead models that are more sought after than others?

I apologize for my ignorance. This is my first Ford to work on (other than a '68 Mustang I worked on with my brother about 12 years ago).

If you can't shoot it, paint it or rebuild it, you probably won't be interested in it.
-My wife

ford38v8
12-25-2013 @ 12:02 PM
Senior

Shad, I very much respect your desire to keep everything as original as possible, but for your stated objective to build a car hauler, you might consider looking at your grandfathers truck as a very straight original cab to be installed on a modern truck hauler frame and running gear. The result will be a well engineered working truck married to your family history in a great looking cab. This is the first and possibly the last time I'll advice to modify as opposed to restore or preserve a vehicle, but given the stated objective, it seems the only reasonable way to go.

By the time you convert running gear and suspension from the original truck to something capable of doing the job you envision, you'll have invested too much time and money for the results attainable: An 85 HP Ford flathead is considerably undersized for your needs, your gearing won't make highway speed today, your wheels may be of the widowmaker type, for which no shop will work on for safety reasons, you would need power steering and brakes and an upgraded suspension, leaving only the original frame to work with. I hate to say it, but you may not be able to find someone who needs the rest of the truck, but by parting out the engine, you can help finance your project. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Alan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org