LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / realistic idle for 239 w fordomatic?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: realistic idle for 239 w fordomatic? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

bkewin
04-26-2012 @ 1:16 PM

Hi folks,
been making slow but steady progress on the 53 f100.
got a carb rebuild which took care of a few little issues, like rocking and rolling the whole truck at idle, and a blip in the vacuum guage. (my old vacuum guage was lying to me by 10 inches, but the blip was legit) maybe I had a vacuum leak that popping the carb on and off cleaned up.
I turned the idle speed screw out so it wasn't in the picture. cold, I turned the idle mix screws all the way in and backed them out a complete turn. full choke start and once warmed up put the choke in and did the routine of scr*w*ng the idle mix in till she stumbled and back out to smooth. repeated on both sides.
she starts and runs pretty smoothly. I set the idle speed to 425 with my 20 dollar 12v dwell tach but she was stalling at stop signs so I increased the idle a bit. My question is, "how important is the 425 idle rpm"? I'm waiting on my mail order timing light and remote starter switch. but mostly starting and running like she does the timing can't be that far off. Sometimes she idles with 14inches of vacuum and others 16. Seems like if she is warm, there is less idle vacuum.

well, Thanks,

Bill

supereal
04-27-2012 @ 10:09 AM
Senior

Bill: The ideal idle speed is given in my manuals as 415-425 for 8 cylinder trucks, and 450-460 for the sixes. That is a bit slow, compared to manual transmission trucks, which we customarily set at or above 500 rpm at idle. The lower speed was to prevent creep and harsh engagements and shifts with the automatic. In order to reduce stalling, the system requires a "dashpot" that slowly allows the throttle to return to idle. If your truck doesn't have one, or yours is weak, that is the likely reason it stalls at stop signs

TomO
04-27-2012 @ 10:35 AM
Senior

I agree with Supereal as the dashpot might be the culprit. Your timing could also be off and that is why you are getting such low vacuum readings. You should be able to set the idle at 450 without having excessive creep.

Plug all vacuum connections and recheck your vacuum. If it is still low, check for leaks around the carburetor. If there are no vacuum leaks, mark the distributor position and try adjusting the timing a little while reading the vacuum gauge for the highest reading and then back off the timing slightly (About 1 degree). Reconnect your vacuum hoses and give it a try.

Tom

bkewin
04-27-2012 @ 12:33 PM

you fellows are the best. I sure appreciate the advice. I'll give that vacuum timing hint tonight.
Thanks again

Bill

alanwoodieman
04-29-2012 @ 7:26 PM
Senior

look to see if your trans has a throttle rod going from the eccelerator linkage back to the trans-if it does adjust this length. The trans is still "in gear" and will try to creep if this has not been set correctly and will also affect the idle speed

bkewin
04-30-2012 @ 9:50 AM

Oh Joy. I have noticed this creeping I think.
Did the u-joints over the weekend and neglected everything else. I'm waiting for an extension housing seal before i button everything up. I've got a little rust on the drive shaft yoke. While I think this will do for a while, if it eats seals, is there a source for replacements out there?

Thanks.

TomO
05-01-2012 @ 7:48 AM
Senior

Try polishing the drive shaft yoke with emery paper followed by crocus cloth. If you have lots of deep pits, look for another yoke.

Tom

bkewin
05-02-2012 @ 1:02 PM

That's kind of funny, I sanded and oiled and sanded for about 30 minutes and saw a bit of crocus cloth hanging out of my sanding odds and ends drawer. I can't remember how it came to be there but it worked a treat. Couple of tiny pits in a ring and two or three nicks from some careless so and so with a hammer up close to the knuckle.
Thanks for the input.

supereal
05-02-2012 @ 2:33 PM
Senior

The seals are available. The outside diameter should be 2.376 for your pickup. A later type, beginning in '56, mweasures 2.509 OD. Be sure to use the correct driver when installing them. Almost all extension housing seals seep a bit. This keeps the shank of the yoke lubed as it moves on the shaft. A badly worn yoke will show a pronounced wear ring that can't be polished away.

bkewin
05-03-2012 @ 6:30 AM

I'm having a hrd time finding any special tools for the extension housing seal. I found an extension housing bushing tool for an aod, is there anyplace that carries either of these? my online searches are coming up dry.
Napa has the seals and the bushing should it come to that, but not finding tools.

Thanks,

bill

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org