LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 37' Pickup front engine cross member.

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 37' Pickup front engine cross member.

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

ColoradoCabin
01-27-2012 @ 1:55 PM

A continuing saga of a 30-30 restoration I purchased.
That's 30' away and 30 miles an hour. After trying to figure out why there was only a few threads on the spring u bolts on the front spring I discovered the "restorer" had put a piece of trailer hitch under the spring in the crossmember and welded it in. Now I'm going to have to pull the engine to get at the top of that abomination to cut it out. Does anyone have a picture of what that crossmember should look like? I will need to fabricate a new piece to backup the spring. I notice that the engine pulley was almost hitting the u bolts and that started this saga. Another question...a friend has another flat head V-8 for sale...what should one pay for a good engine?
If I'm going to have to pull the engine I might just buy his engine and swap it out. It has been checked out and is rebuilt.
Thanks folks.

nelsb01
01-28-2012 @ 2:25 PM
Senior

You can look at any 36-39 front cross member, they are basically the same.
You might be able to cut the 'trailer hitch' part out, carefully with a hot wrench. New U bolts are available and should help if the cross member hasn't been compromised.

ColoradoCabin
01-30-2012 @ 7:28 AM

Yes...I guess that's what I'm going to have to do. Cut the hitch part off and weld some plate back in to streghten the crossmember. I posted on another thread before I read your reply. That would probably work better than taking the old crossmember out and having to weld another or rivet another back in. I found the part in the Green Book. Page 145...part number 5019.
Guess I will start pulling the engine this week.
I asked what should one pay for a rebuilt flat head V-8 engine without carb, etc. Can someone educate me on that? There is an engine available but I don't know what it's worth...
Thanks everyone...your educating me.

Charlie

trjford8
01-31-2012 @ 7:37 AM
Senior

Charlie, a good rebuilt(with a history such as receipts,etc) will run from $3000-5000. If someone tells you it's rebuilt and no history it's a guessing game. I would not buy a motor until I pulled the heads and checked for cracks and other adverse issues. Even if you can hear it run it may not be a good motor.

supereal
01-31-2012 @ 9:38 AM
Senior

As usual, Tom and I are on the same page. In this case it is too late, but anyone considering the purchase of an old car or truck should take along someone with experience in the hobby to provide some perspective. If you don't know anyone, consult the Club roster to locate a willing member, or engage a reputable shop to inspect the car. A few dollars spent can lessen the chance that you will be disappointed in your choice. If claims are being made that the vehicle was "rebuilt" in any way, ask for receipts for the work. Consult reliable price guides for a "ball park" view of whether the asking price is reasonable. Insist on a valid current title in the name of the seller. If any of these "red flags" pop up, always be willing to walk away and save your dreams, and cash, for a better deal.

ColoradoCabin
02-01-2012 @ 6:21 PM

The motor in question was rebuilt..completely. A mechanic, who knows flat head ford engines, pulled it down and said it looks like new inside. He put all new seals back in and pronounced it excellent. I don't think I can go wrong at the price asked....it is a friend of mine.
Thanks for all the input...

37Flathead
02-25-2012 @ 3:38 PM

if you need pictures of anything we are almost finished with my dads restoration. It is a ground up restoration. We have been in your shoes. My dad took the truck apart in 1994 and its being put together now. We are very close to being finished.
---

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org