Topic: 37' Pickup front engine cross member.

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-27-2012 @ 1:55 PM
  A continuing saga of a 30-30 restoration I purchased.
That's 30' away and 30 miles an hour. After trying to figure out why there was only a few threads on the spring u bolts on the front spring I discovered the "restorer" had put a piece of trailer hitch under the spring in the crossmember and welded it in. Now I'm going to have to pull the engine to get at the top of that abomination to cut it out. Does anyone have a picture of what that crossmember should look like? I will need to fabricate a new piece to backup the spring. I notice that the engine pulley was almost hitting the u bolts and that started this saga. Another question...a friend has another flat head V-8 for sale...what should one pay for a good engine?
If I'm going to have to pull the engine I might just buy his engine and swap it out. It has been checked out and is rebuilt.
Thanks folks.

nelsb01    -- 01-28-2012 @ 2:25 PM
  You can look at any 36-39 front cross member, they are basically the same.
You might be able to cut the 'trailer hitch' part out, carefully with a hot wrench. New U bolts are available and should help if the cross member hasn't been compromised.

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-30-2012 @ 7:28 AM
  Yes...I guess that's what I'm going to have to do. Cut the hitch part off and weld some plate back in to streghten the crossmember. I posted on another thread before I read your reply. That would probably work better than taking the old crossmember out and having to weld another or rivet another back in. I found the part in the Green Book. Page 145...part number 5019.
Guess I will start pulling the engine this week.
I asked what should one pay for a rebuilt flat head V-8 engine without carb, etc. Can someone educate me on that? There is an engine available but I don't know what it's worth...
Thanks everyone...your educating me.

Charlie

trjford8    -- 01-31-2012 @ 7:37 AM
  Charlie, a good rebuilt(with a history such as receipts,etc) will run from $3000-5000. If someone tells you it's rebuilt and no history it's a guessing game. I would not buy a motor until I pulled the heads and checked for cracks and other adverse issues. Even if you can hear it run it may not be a good motor.

supereal    -- 01-31-2012 @ 9:38 AM
  As usual, Tom and I are on the same page. In this case it is too late, but anyone considering the purchase of an old car or truck should take along someone with experience in the hobby to provide some perspective. If you don't know anyone, consult the Club roster to locate a willing member, or engage a reputable shop to inspect the car. A few dollars spent can lessen the chance that you will be disappointed in your choice. If claims are being made that the vehicle was "rebuilt" in any way, ask for receipts for the work. Consult reliable price guides for a "ball park" view of whether the asking price is reasonable. Insist on a valid current title in the name of the seller. If any of these "red flags" pop up, always be willing to walk away and save your dreams, and cash, for a better deal.

ColoradoCabin    -- 02-01-2012 @ 6:21 PM
  The motor in question was rebuilt..completely. A mechanic, who knows flat head ford engines, pulled it down and said it looks like new inside. He put all new seals back in and pronounced it excellent. I don't think I can go wrong at the price asked....it is a friend of mine.
Thanks for all the input...

37Flathead    -- 02-25-2012 @ 3:38 PM
  if you need pictures of anything we are almost finished with my dads restoration. It is a ground up restoration. We have been in your shoes. My dad took the truck apart in 1994 and its being put together now. We are very close to being finished.
---

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4272