LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 51 Ford F1 rear end

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 51 Ford F1 rear end

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

PeterFord
01-20-2011 @ 3:54 PM

I have a 51 F1. The rear end is the standard 3.92. Dennis Carpenter offers a replacement 4.27 ring gear and pinion set. It appears to be so easy to replace these gears. Has anyone done it. Can I do it? It seems you just open up the rear cover, unbolt the ring gear, pull out the pinion and, voila. Oversimplifying, but it that basically all there is to it? Many thanks. Peter

37RAGTOPMAN
01-20-2011 @ 5:34 PM
Senior

If you are going to drive the truck on the highway, I would stick to the gears you have , why go to a higher ratio, which will lower your speed, but more power for pulling heavier loads.and will give you less gas milage.?
you will first have to pull both axles,if you are going to change the gears, this is not something you want to do without a manual for sure, save you money for something else.
do you have a 4 speed or 3 speed trans,?
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN,
if you need a extra rear end I have one and also a front end, with the springs and drum to drum,,on both

PeterFord
01-20-2011 @ 5:43 PM

good advice ragtop. What ratio should I look for for highway speeds? Peter

trjford8
01-20-2011 @ 7:38 PM
Senior

If you want decent highway gears I would look for a ratio between 3.55-3.78. You can use a later rear in an F-1. The 58-72 Ford pickup 9 inch is basically a bolt-in. The 9 inch has a drop-out 3rd member which makes a gear change very easy.

PeterFord
01-21-2011 @ 6:18 AM

Many thanks trj. I really appreciate it. Peter

supereal
01-21-2011 @ 8:54 AM
Senior

Properly installing and setting up rear end gears is not as easy as you might expect. The pinion bearings must be correctly preloaded. Some have a "crush" sleeve, others have threaded shafts, and the load is measured with a scale. The ring gear does bolt onto the differential, but some rear ends require the proper setting of those bearings, as well, to achieve the correct backlash and tooth pattern. This time of year, we see quite a few rear ends at our shop, mostly in trucks used to plow snow. They get wound up until they hit a dry patch, and then the rear end gets hammered. One of the main problems with old vehicles today is that gear sets are almost always foreign made. Most are not "run in", as USA sets were, and are noisy, in spite of careful installation. That is why salvage yard axles are often the best choice over gear replacement, which takes time snd experience.

ken_r_mer
01-22-2011 @ 5:44 PM

Another option: might want to look at an overdrive trans with that 3.92 rear end for limited highway driving. In my '52 F-1 I have a 51 Merc 3 speed w/ overdrive mainly because I wanted to keep the 3 speed on the column. It also happens to have the same clutch linkage setup as my '52. I had to modify the rear tranny support member and add clearance for the overdrive solenoid, plus shorten up the drive shaft.

I'm running 26.25" diameter rear tires. I think original tires were 28.75" diameter. Before, my top speed was about 45. Now I can do 60 with the overdrive kicked in and the engine screaming the same rpms. The O.D. ratio is 0.68:1.

IF you have a floor shift unit, then go with a T-5 (5 speed o.d.) trans. Many tech articles on that conversion.

rocobine1
01-30-2011 @ 11:04 AM

ragman, im thinking about converting my f3 to 5 lug and would be interested in your front end parts. im in illinois but i could make a road trip

37RAGTOPMAN
02-25-2011 @ 9:17 AM
Senior

hi
I do not know if you can convert it,not a expert on the F3, I thought they were a much bigger,
I am in MIDCOAST Maine, if you want to make a road trip with the family.when the snow melts,
bythebaymaine@myfairpoint.net,

Thanks,,,,37RAGTOPMAN

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org