Topic: 51 Ford F1 rear end

PeterFord    -- 01-20-2011 @ 3:54 PM
  I have a 51 F1. The rear end is the standard 3.92. Dennis Carpenter offers a replacement 4.27 ring gear and pinion set. It appears to be so easy to replace these gears. Has anyone done it. Can I do it? It seems you just open up the rear cover, unbolt the ring gear, pull out the pinion and, voila. Oversimplifying, but it that basically all there is to it? Many thanks. Peter

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-20-2011 @ 5:34 PM
  If you are going to drive the truck on the highway, I would stick to the gears you have , why go to a higher ratio, which will lower your speed, but more power for pulling heavier loads.and will give you less gas milage.?
you will first have to pull both axles,if you are going to change the gears, this is not something you want to do without a manual for sure, save you money for something else.
do you have a 4 speed or 3 speed trans,?
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN,
if you need a extra rear end I have one and also a front end, with the springs and drum to drum,,on both

PeterFord    -- 01-20-2011 @ 5:43 PM
  good advice ragtop. What ratio should I look for for highway speeds? Peter

trjford8    -- 01-20-2011 @ 7:38 PM
  If you want decent highway gears I would look for a ratio between 3.55-3.78. You can use a later rear in an F-1. The 58-72 Ford pickup 9 inch is basically a bolt-in. The 9 inch has a drop-out 3rd member which makes a gear change very easy.

PeterFord    -- 01-21-2011 @ 6:18 AM
  Many thanks trj. I really appreciate it. Peter

supereal    -- 01-21-2011 @ 8:54 AM
  Properly installing and setting up rear end gears is not as easy as you might expect. The pinion bearings must be correctly preloaded. Some have a "crush" sleeve, others have threaded shafts, and the load is measured with a scale. The ring gear does bolt onto the differential, but some rear ends require the proper setting of those bearings, as well, to achieve the correct backlash and tooth pattern. This time of year, we see quite a few rear ends at our shop, mostly in trucks used to plow snow. They get wound up until they hit a dry patch, and then the rear end gets hammered. One of the main problems with old vehicles today is that gear sets are almost always foreign made. Most are not "run in", as USA sets were, and are noisy, in spite of careful installation. That is why salvage yard axles are often the best choice over gear replacement, which takes time snd experience.

ken_r_mer    -- 01-22-2011 @ 5:44 PM
  Another option: might want to look at an overdrive trans with that 3.92 rear end for limited highway driving. In my '52 F-1 I have a 51 Merc 3 speed w/ overdrive mainly because I wanted to keep the 3 speed on the column. It also happens to have the same clutch linkage setup as my '52. I had to modify the rear tranny support member and add clearance for the overdrive solenoid, plus shorten up the drive shaft.

I'm running 26.25" diameter rear tires. I think original tires were 28.75" diameter. Before, my top speed was about 45. Now I can do 60 with the overdrive kicked in and the engine screaming the same rpms. The O.D. ratio is 0.68:1.

IF you have a floor shift unit, then go with a T-5 (5 speed o.d.) trans. Many tech articles on that conversion.

rocobine1    -- 01-30-2011 @ 11:04 AM
  ragman, im thinking about converting my f3 to 5 lug and would be interested in your front end parts. im in illinois but i could make a road trip

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-25-2011 @ 9:17 AM
  hi
I do not know if you can convert it,not a expert on the F3, I thought they were a much bigger,
I am in MIDCOAST Maine, if you want to make a road trip with the family.when the snow melts,
bythebaymaine@myfairpoint.net,

Thanks,,,,37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2479