LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / 1940 Heater in a 39 Ford

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 Heater in a 39 Ford -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
11-28-2011 @ 8:31 AM
Senior

Here is a photo showing the solid kick panel.

The heater has been sold and is going in a 39 convertible.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 11-28-11 @ 8:33 AM

TomO
11-28-2011 @ 8:28 AM
Senior

IMHO it would be more likely that a 39 heater would show up in a 40 than a 40 heater in a 39. The dealers would try to get rid of the 39 heaters before ordering 40 heaters.

I would think that a judge would know the difference between a 39 and 40 heater.

The left door on a 39 heater is restricted from opening all of the way, so it will not interfere with the shift lever. To put the 39 knobs on a 40 heater, you will have to fill the original holes and drill new ones to fit the 39 knobs. You could also weld a piece of sheet metal to the case so the door would only open part way and build a new kick protector.

Here is a photo of the heater with the doors open.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 11-28-11 @ 8:36 AM

supereal
11-27-2011 @ 2:02 PM
Senior

Distinctions between model years at Ford were often blurred by the practice of using parts on hand until they were gone. This can make determination of the exact "correct" components if your vehicle was one of those produced during the transition between years problematic. Old Henry was so tight "he squeaked when he walked", and despised waste of any kind. I once owned a Model A that had dissimilar rear quarter panels that probably was a result of using up parts.

kubes40
11-27-2011 @ 6:33 AM
Senior

Benny also had Ford script water pumps in many of his '40 Fords and insisted they were that way from the factory.
Enough said?

kubes40
11-27-2011 @ 6:32 AM
Senior

I agree with Alan that painting to '39 specs and changing out the handles will go far to make your 40 heater appear as a 39.

Kenneth M.
11-27-2011 @ 5:09 AM

Maybe someone will have a 39 heater and want a 40 heater to trade?

Kenneth M. Stewart

alanwoodieman
11-26-2011 @ 7:15 PM
Senior

a few years back noted 40 Ford collector Benny Bootle had a 8,000 mile 40 tudor with a dealer installed 41 heater. The installation looked like it was done in 1940-aged the same as the rest of the car. I have a piece of paper work from the heater maker (Eaton, I think)showing how to put 41 heater into 40 Fords and Mercury's, but as stated it would be without a doubt better to have the known correct heater than one that is doubtful. That said, there was very little difference in the heaters-same except for a door stop for 39 floorshift- Paint the 40 heater the correct 39 color, install 39 door pulls and no one would be the wiser!!

ford38v8
11-26-2011 @ 3:57 PM
Senior

Ken, While the club's books are as good as it gets as far as what has been published, the Judging Standards Committee reserves the last word in authenticity to themselves. This is due to the ongoing research and new information that even today continues to surface, so, with that caveat, you may generally rely on what you read in the book, to the extent of how clearly stated the reference was. I'm sorry to be so vague in my response, but if it were me, I would probably want to play it safe with the '39 heater rather than to push the envelope with the '40 heater, even though the book says it may have happened that way.

Now that I may have discouraged you, i'll try to make it right with my view as a Judge. It would be my personal view that as it seems there is a possibility of a '40 heater in a '39, I would not make a deduction, giving it the benefit of the doubt, as I expect most Judges would do the same. Do not consider this carte blanche, as it is ultimately the owner's responsibility to provide documentation for any discrepancies found on the Concourse. Should you show your car with this heater and draw a deduction, I would encourage you to challenge if only to clarify the JSC position in this gray area of Ford knowledge.

Alan

kubes40
11-26-2011 @ 3:43 PM
Senior

Here's a photo of a proper '40 heater. It's in black and white and depicts all the parts in a heater kit, 1940.
The body was a light shade of gray with three red stripes.

kubes40
11-26-2011 @ 3:40 PM
Senior

1939 & 1940 hot water heaters are the same dimensionally. In fact nearly all the parts are readily interchangeable.
The very subtle differences are the toe guard which on a '39 is solid while a '40 was vented. The colors are obviously different as are the knobs between the two years. The heater switch knob is also quite different as are the defroster nozzles. The switches are mounted in very different places, '39 vs. '40.
On the concourse you would be expected to have a '39 heater in your '39 and a '40 heater in your '40.
Attached is a photo of a proper 39 heater.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 11-26-11 @ 3:45 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org