Topic: 1940 Heater in a 39 Ford

Kenneth M.    -- 11-25-2011 @ 2:50 PM
  I was reading in the 38-39 Ford Book that some 39 Fords had a 1940 heater in the cars. This was a dealer item? Or did some come from the factory that way.How would you judge this? A 39 with a 40 Heater in it?

Kenneth M. Stewart

kem.jones    -- 11-25-2011 @ 9:13 PM
  I have a39 Merc and tried to fit in a later heater .They look the same but are about 1/2 in. deeper and the cover gets inway of the base of the gear shift. I found one out of a 39 Merc parts car. In the 60's I was running a 39 Ford coach as an every day driver in Ont I squeezed in a later heater by leaving the cover off.

Kem (39 merc rag)

kem.jones    -- 11-25-2011 @ 9:14 PM
  I have a39 Merc and tried to fit in a later heater .They look the same but are about 1/2 in. deeper and the cover gets inway of the base of the gear shift. I found one out of a 39 Merc parts car. In the 60's I was running a 39 Ford coach as an every day driver in Ont I squeezed in a later heater by leaving the cover off.

Kem (39 merc rag)

supereal    -- 11-26-2011 @ 9:38 AM
  Accessories, such as heaters, radios, etc, were almost always a dealer installed item. I suspect this was to allow dealers some additional profit. If a heater interferes with other parts of the vehicle, they can generally be shifted one way or the other. There have been some odd installations. When I bought my '47 convertible, it had a heater from a Chevy pickup. After locating and rebuilding a correct three door heater, I moved it to the right to use the existing firewall holes, and no one has quastioned this arrangement.

kubes40    -- 11-26-2011 @ 3:40 PM
  1939 & 1940 hot water heaters are the same dimensionally. In fact nearly all the parts are readily interchangeable.
The very subtle differences are the toe guard which on a '39 is solid while a '40 was vented. The colors are obviously different as are the knobs between the two years. The heater switch knob is also quite different as are the defroster nozzles. The switches are mounted in very different places, '39 vs. '40.
On the concourse you would be expected to have a '39 heater in your '39 and a '40 heater in your '40.
Attached is a photo of a proper 39 heater.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 11-26-11 @ 3:45 PM

kubes40    -- 11-26-2011 @ 3:43 PM
  Here's a photo of a proper '40 heater. It's in black and white and depicts all the parts in a heater kit, 1940.
The body was a light shade of gray with three red stripes.

ford38v8    -- 11-26-2011 @ 3:57 PM
  Ken, While the club's books are as good as it gets as far as what has been published, the Judging Standards Committee reserves the last word in authenticity to themselves. This is due to the ongoing research and new information that even today continues to surface, so, with that caveat, you may generally rely on what you read in the book, to the extent of how clearly stated the reference was. I'm sorry to be so vague in my response, but if it were me, I would probably want to play it safe with the '39 heater rather than to push the envelope with the '40 heater, even though the book says it may have happened that way.

Now that I may have discouraged you, i'll try to make it right with my view as a Judge. It would be my personal view that as it seems there is a possibility of a '40 heater in a '39, I would not make a deduction, giving it the benefit of the doubt, as I expect most Judges would do the same. Do not consider this carte blanche, as it is ultimately the owner's responsibility to provide documentation for any discrepancies found on the Concourse. Should you show your car with this heater and draw a deduction, I would encourage you to challenge if only to clarify the JSC position in this gray area of Ford knowledge.

Alan

alanwoodieman    -- 11-26-2011 @ 7:15 PM
  a few years back noted 40 Ford collector Benny Bootle had a 8,000 mile 40 tudor with a dealer installed 41 heater. The installation looked like it was done in 1940-aged the same as the rest of the car. I have a piece of paper work from the heater maker (Eaton, I think)showing how to put 41 heater into 40 Fords and Mercury's, but as stated it would be without a doubt better to have the known correct heater than one that is doubtful. That said, there was very little difference in the heaters-same except for a door stop for 39 floorshift- Paint the 40 heater the correct 39 color, install 39 door pulls and no one would be the wiser!!

Kenneth M.    -- 11-27-2011 @ 5:09 AM
  Maybe someone will have a 39 heater and want a 40 heater to trade?

Kenneth M. Stewart

kubes40    -- 11-27-2011 @ 6:32 AM
  I agree with Alan that painting to '39 specs and changing out the handles will go far to make your 40 heater appear as a 39.

kubes40    -- 11-27-2011 @ 6:33 AM
  Benny also had Ford script water pumps in many of his '40 Fords and insisted they were that way from the factory.
Enough said?

supereal    -- 11-27-2011 @ 2:02 PM
  Distinctions between model years at Ford were often blurred by the practice of using parts on hand until they were gone. This can make determination of the exact "correct" components if your vehicle was one of those produced during the transition between years problematic. Old Henry was so tight "he squeaked when he walked", and despised waste of any kind. I once owned a Model A that had dissimilar rear quarter panels that probably was a result of using up parts.

TomO    -- 11-28-2011 @ 8:28 AM
  IMHO it would be more likely that a 39 heater would show up in a 40 than a 40 heater in a 39. The dealers would try to get rid of the 39 heaters before ordering 40 heaters.

I would think that a judge would know the difference between a 39 and 40 heater.

The left door on a 39 heater is restricted from opening all of the way, so it will not interfere with the shift lever. To put the 39 knobs on a 40 heater, you will have to fill the original holes and drill new ones to fit the 39 knobs. You could also weld a piece of sheet metal to the case so the door would only open part way and build a new kick protector.

Here is a photo of the heater with the doors open.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 11-28-11 @ 8:36 AM

TomO    -- 11-28-2011 @ 8:31 AM
  Here is a photo showing the solid kick panel.

The heater has been sold and is going in a 39 convertible.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 11-28-11 @ 8:33 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4025