LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / 1940 Wagon Questions

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 Wagon Questions -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

Stroker
12-03-2011 @ 8:59 AM
Senior

Rusty:

Thank You! Maybe someday someone will solve my "mystery".

Dan

Rusty
12-02-2011 @ 7:03 PM

What I have are Engineering Releases for "Brown Landau Grain deck material 66" wide". This is M-2600-G which is a materials designation and correlates to the body book. I have these for 1940,1941,1945 which would cover the 1946 cars. There are no other Engineering Releases for any other top material with any different color. At the time, I wasn't looking for earlier stuff so for instance the first release copy I have is dated 8-1-1939 and would be for the 1940 model year. I'm confident if someone wanted to look they could find the releases back to the early 1930's.

Stroker
12-02-2011 @ 4:01 PM
Senior

Here's a photo of the subject "home-brew" top.

Stroker
12-02-2011 @ 10:07 AM
Senior

Rusty:

Do you by chance have any Benson Ford data on 38 top colors? The reason I ask is that
I have a Kodachrome of my 38 when it was new, and the color appears to be a dark brownish/green. Some years ago, I removed the multiple tops that had been installed over the original on another Desert Sand West Coast 38, and found some of that material under the drip rails, (where it still had the original tacks securing it). The color is just as portrayed in the 1938 photo.

I'm not questioning your assertion, but I am certain that at least in 38, there were some colors other than brown, at least on the West Coast on Desert Sand wagons.

I should add that in the aforementioned "excavation" of previous tops, only the original was this odd,
shade. All the subsequent replacements were simply brown. Replacement tops must have only been available in brown. So why so many tops? My car spent its first 40 years in the Southwest, and the sun exposure was brutal to the top material. After 3 top replacements, my dad painted the last one with aluminum paint to try and reduce the UV damage. Why more than one layer of top? It was customary to use the old top as "padding" under the new top, and it actually improved the looks by softening the shape a bit over the wooden framework. The first top was removed entirely, to repair water damage to the front corner of the right hand roof beam.

The tops were pretty fragile, as are most Ford closed-car top inserts. I suspect that Ford never intended
for these cars to last forever. In the late 50's, I installed a new top (over all the old ones)using high quality canvas duck, which I first shrank with water, and then 10 coats of aircraft butyrate dope. This top, now painted to match the original top sample, still resides on my wagon. It is not original, and would cost lots-o-points in judging, but at least it's the "right" color.

This message was edited by Stroker on 12-2-11 @ 3:49 PM

Rusty
12-01-2011 @ 6:28 PM

Just checking because I have Benson Ford Research Center documents that specify brown material on station wagon tops. Couldn't find anything that supports the rainbow of colors that "matching body color" would require and it is hard to believe that the factory was into dying tops to match the body color.

alanwoodieman
12-01-2011 @ 10:04 AM
Senior

long grain copra--copra being the color which is a light to medium tan color, I have in my files, which I will look up, a paint code to duplicate this color , yes Kube, it is not BLACK as I have been told it was. When I purchased my top fabric from LeBaron/Bonney, Lee Atherton told me that that was the last 13 feet he could ever get, that the plant in England would no longer produce it

kubes40
12-01-2011 @ 6:05 AM
Senior

Brown.
Some guys will tell you black was available but they won't (I am betting heavily)be able to provide proof. Something necessary to stand the judges scrutiny.

Rusty
11-30-2011 @ 7:47 PM

Alan,
What color is your original top material?

alanwoodieman
11-06-2011 @ 5:53 AM
Senior

as stated in an answer above
#1-top materiel--I have some original samples off a 40 wagon-long grain copra
#2-winterleaf brown
#3-black

sawzall
11-06-2011 @ 4:50 AM

just found this thread.. and am excited that there might be more "woodie" information in an upcoming edition? of the 40 ford book.

1. as for tailgate spring covers, I have seen 40's with covers done in material matching the interior (seating) is this incorrect?

2. On the interior metal brackets (cast and stamped interior brackets) should these be tan to match the tailgate hinge, or are they body color? or black? I have seen some of each..

3. the taillight bracket.. I have had some that were painted tan (similar to the tailgate hinge, and some that were black) was the taillight bracket painted body color?

hopefully someone here can provide feedback..

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org